I emailed Steve Hoffman and got a response!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
LOL. The guys have hot legs and then they leave and they get cold. :laugh2:

Man that's funny.

They have success here under Hoffmans coaching, THEN they leave or he leaves, then they stink. But that has NOTHING to do with the coaching.

why would we allow them to leave? I mean, they're so successful right :lmao:

mschmidt64

Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
When it comes to the kicking game, Steve Hoffman.

Ignoring the fact that Cundiff and Seder (Hoffman provided kickers) are not answers, I was talking about the coaching situation as a whole.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:
Eddie Murray is the route we should be going.

Eddie Murray???? :lmao: :laugh2: Well, talk about pinning for the old days. This guy is about 50 now. But hey, he doesn't need a coach, right? LMAO! This debate is over now. YOu lost.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
how about this offseason where Mike Vanderjagt, Adam Viniteiri, and Ryan Longwell will all probably be available?

who needs Hoffman?

You are dealing with people who will do and say anything to win an argument, summer, because winning is more important than being right to them.

I suggest you let it go.

These are the kind of people who will shift stances until it makes your head spin. You can't win, quite honestly.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:
You are dealing with people who will do and say anything to win an argument, summer, because winning is more important than being right to them.

I suggest you let it go.

These are the kind of people who will shift stances until it makes your head spin. You can't win, quite honestly.

When you think Eddie Murray is the answer, you are right. You won't win. LOL!

Hey Smitty, isn't Blanda available???

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:

I suggest you let it go.

you can't win an argument when you're wrong, so...

WE WIN!

TonyS

Reaction score
So, this is what the offseason's going to be like. Wonderful. :D

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Eddie Murray, Chris Boniol, Ritchie Cunningham....yeah, they sucked. Give me a break. And just think, these were guys that Hoffman found and turned into something.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
Eddie Murray, Chris Boniol, Ritchie Cunningham....yeah, they sucked. Give me a break. And just think, these were guys that Hoffman found and turned into something.

Yeah Boniol sucked. He only had the 3rd highest FG percentage in NFL history.

100.0 Tony Zendejas (17-17) Los Angeles Rams

100.0 Gary Anderson (35-35) Minnesota

96.4 Chris Boniol (28-27) Dallas

Yet another fact that will be ignored.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Jimz31 said:

Murray was a respected and established FA and Hoffman had nothing to do with his "discovery" nor did he do anything in particular to coach him that any special teams coach couldn't do.

Cunningham had one great year and then started well the second year before getting cold and eventually hitting the road his third year.

Boniol is the only kicker in 10 years to turn into something decent.

With that kind of track record, we can't afford not to bring this guy back!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
So why didn't Parcells get a real kicker last season after he fired Hoffman? He could have signed Matt Bryant, who he liked a lot and once compared to Murray, yet he let him sign with Tampa where he had an excellent year. While Parcells brought in Cortez to compete with Cundiff, that was genius!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
So why didn't Parcells get a real kicker last season after he fired Hoffman? He could have signed Matt Bryan, who he liked a lot and once compared to Murray, yet he let him sign with Tampa where he had an excellent year. While Parcells brought in Cortez to compete with Cundiff, that was genius!

Bryant got hurt, and he couldn't afford to keep 2 kickers on the roster

but other than Bryant, who else of note was out there since Parcells has been here? and remember Bryant against us with the Giants? it's not like he was an established kicker by any stretch of the imagination before he went to Tampa

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Crazy not one single team in the NFL has a kicking coach

All teams have kicking coach, many have a tendency to employ them as special teams coaches also because the breadth of their duties in one area of special teams does not make an entire job.

They work on teaching the players technique and coverages on possibly the most transient and dynamic plays of the entire game when basically all hell goes loose on punt and kickoff coverages.

Dallas has been very forward thinking in understanding that kicking from the professional and gurus standpoint is like golf - 90% mental and 10% technique.

That why some very reasonable posters on this board have been so frustrated with the kicking game. How does a person with such a high percentage for 40 yarders and under pooch three kicks?

Hoffman's principle role is to make sure that the kickers are in the right frame of mind to convert the kicks they are expected to make - convert the makeable points on the field.

The real question you should be asking yourself is not the overall kicking percentage, but the percentage of kicks under 40 yards that have been converted.

As I posted in an earlier thread two months ago the best of the league with the exception of Rackers, who skews the stats, have a lifetime percentage in the high eighties. Cundiff was perfect until his run of bad luck.

It was reported after Cundiff's release that Parcells informed the press that it wasn't only Cundiff's bad kicks during the Carolina game, but he had also had a bad week in practice.

That's when you need a coach like Hoffman. He can assist in resolving issues before they manifest themselves on the field. Golf pros have gurus, there's no reason why kickers shouldn't have them also.

Last but not least: in your mind what was those three games that we lost by a FG or less worth? Possibly Hoffman's salary?

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
UppityCracker2 said:
Cundiff was a product of Hoffman. No thanks.

Cundiff in 2006 was a product of himself. When he began his bad luck streak he was on the sidelines without Hoffman so let's not roast a guy who wasn't there to mitigate the problems.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Bryant got hurt, and he couldn't afford to keep 2 kickers on the roster

but other than Bryant, who else of note was out there since Parcells has been here? and remember Bryant against us with the Giants? it's not like he was an established kicker by any stretch of the imagination before he went to Tampa
Bryant was already healthy last offseason and he signed with Tampa. When we had Bryant on the team, Parcells compared him to Murray. So my question is, why didn't he sign him, a real kicker, instead of signing the great Cortez to compete with Cundiff?

mschmidt64

Reaction score
davidyee said:
Hoffman's principle role is to make sure that the kickers are in the right frame of mind to convert the kicks they are expected to make - convert the makeable points on the field.

Hoffman didn't have the special ability to do anything that Dehaven can't.

This was clear as mediocre kicker after mediocre kicker eventually got cold and hit the bricks.

The solution isn't a kicking coach.

The solution is a kicker.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Bryant was already healthy last offseason and he signed with Tampa. When we had Bryant on the team, Parcells compared him to Murray. So my question is, why didn't he sign him, a real kicker, instead of signing the great Cortez to compete with Cundiff?

that's because Bryant was signed by Tampa before Parcells could

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I get sick of your b1tching, so what?

Parcells values special teams and the kicking game like no other coach, you saw his expressions after missed fgs, but you're going to seriously sit here and tell me that Parcells is going to treat the kicking situation the same way he has for awhile now, relying on Steve Hoffman and his rag-tag group of kickers?

...is going to put on a big show in front of the cameras on how much he feels the kicking game is important, but when the chips fall and your kicker is in a funk he can't pull himself out of he's going to march down the sidelines and yell "f - you" at the kicker/punter or glare at you as if you had just murdered his grandchild.

For those posters who insist that Dallas is going to be the haven for kickers to come here to save the day how assinine can you guys be to think that Vanderjagt, Vinatieri and LOngwell are even going to consider coming here to be subjected to that kind of treatment.

Those three above have led exemplary careers in their stats for FG kicking they don't need that crap.

FYI, Vinatieri missed a 32 yarder this year. It was a plain old shank with no extreme weather variables - really purely his fault. Belechick went to him on the sidelines and put his hand around his head and patted his helmet and then walked away laughing.

I think that's called team building - actually I believe that is the true road to the SuperBowl.