I like what i saw from Lance

Chasing6

Reaction score

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I finally just watched the 5 min highlight reel from the game for him...expecting to be disappointed based on what Ive been reading here.

Lance looked REALLY good.

I noticed:

1) Felt and managed line/pocket pressure extremely well
2) Kept eyes down field and working his progressions
3) Some very tight throws in traffic
4) Trusted his legs to save him when the pass wasnt going to work
5) VERY fast

On two plays, noticed his throws were higher than preferred, but both were still completed.

I did not see anything saying he doesnt have a potential future as a QB.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I have to admit i was very surprised by all the negative threads and posts about Lance. I was irritated because i liked what i saw from him.

I can understand that some were disappointed. But i think those people are not aware where Lance does come from - how his career looked so far. So let me clarify a bit, maybe you all will change your opinion.

Trey Lance has essentially no game experience at the position. He made a very quick jump from college to the pros.

colllege career:

1. year: redshirted it
2. year: Lance played his only season in college. He broke several records.
3. year: The season was postponed becasue of COVID. He played only one game. When the season was scheduled to be continued in early 2021 Lance opted to declare for the NFL draft.

NFL career:

2021: He was drafted and was 2nd QB in that season. Never was the starter and sat behind Garappolo. He took over for an injured Garappolo. Got injured himself in that game. Essentially he was the no 2 QB and had only a few plays that season.
2022: Starter over Garappolo. Season ending ankle injury during week 2. Needed two surgeries. In 2022 Purdy took over and led the 49ers to the NFC Championship game
2023: Lance got traded to us also because the 49ers found themself their franchise qb.

Conclusion:

So Lance played essentially 16 Games (+3 in those other 2 seasons) during his college career.
Then in the NFL has basically no (~ 3 games) experience.

Lance was a high draft pick that cost the 49ers a lot. The 49ers found a gem with Purdy. So their investment for Lance can be projected on Purdy. They have what they want, for them it doesnt matter for whom they invested their picks.

Lances career can be compared to the late career with the career ending injury of Tony Romo: Romo got hurt, Dak was found by Dallas and Dallas never looked back. Same with the 49ers with Purdy and Lance.

What did i see, what did i like:

So now that we all know how little experience Lance has i was surprised how positive he looked during the game.

- I think he controlled the play calls very well
- he also audibled some. Which i didnt expect him to be able to do. He looked in control during those times.
- He looked calm during passing downs. managed the pocket well. He showed some jitters but so few that i also was surprised by his calmness.
- Some throws were overthrown, but they were still good reads. Not being able to read a defense is hard to teach or takes at least some time (just look at our "best shape of my life" QB). I was surprised he seems to be able to do that with that less of experience.
- That overthrow stuff to me right now is less concerning. Will he do it in half a year ask me again about it.
- the guy makes throwing look so natural and easy. I havent seen that in an QB for quite some time.
- i like the way he buys time in the pocket. It looks like he needs just two steps to find himself outside the tackle box and have bought him enough time to find a free receiver. That you cant teach in my opinion.
- the guy is a real threat in the running game.

Overall i liked what i have seen from Lance. I never expected him to be near a nfl starting level. I read so much negativ stuff during last season and this off season about his development. But nothing seems to be really true after this first ps game. I am really looking forward watching him in game 2.
Great contrarian post here. Lance has very little experience. Like VERY little. Imagine being inexperienced playing a position and going against an NFL defense. It’s not his fault SF reached and Jerry gave up a 4. The guy is a unique athlete. I want to see what happens over the next couple games. I hope they give him time with some starters too.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Great contrarian post here. Lance has very little experience. Like VERY little. Imagine being inexperienced playing a position and going against an NFL defense. It’s not his fault SF reached and Jerry gave up a 4. The guy is a unique athlete. I want to see what happens over the next couple games. I hope they give him time with some starters too.
Question still becomes how does he get said experience? 3 preseason games and back to watching on the sideline is not going to do it.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Question still becomes how does he get said experience? 3 preseason games and back to watching on the sideline is not going to do it.
Fellow that kid hasn’t played in many games. I think any live game snaps will help him. He is really raw. Let’s see if he can tighten the mechanics out. He is an impressive looking athlete that’s for sure. He’s a long shot but maybe there is something.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Fellow that kid hasn’t played in many games. I think any live game snaps will help him. He is really raw. Let’s see if he can tighten the mechanics out. He is an impressive looking athlete that’s for sure. He’s a long shot but maybe there is something.
I believe there is something that needs to be developed, but it will not happen with 3 preseason games a year.

He was severely inexperienced coming out of college. He is now 5 years removed from any consistent meaningful playing time.

The question becomes how does he catch back up? What team is going to gamble and make him a starter based just off of potential.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Thanks for your post.

Yes, that was my point. There were so many negative posts here about him. Some sounded really disapointed.

I wanted to clarify the situation with him a bit. For me its like a miracle that a guy with essentially only one season of college football was playing the way he did in the PS game.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I believe there is something that needs to be developed, but it will not happen with 3 preseason games a year.

He was severely inexperienced coming out of college. He is now 5 years removed from any consistent meaningful playing time.

The question becomes how does he catch back up? What team is going to gamble and make him a starter based just off of potential.
5 years ?

Explain please.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I finally just watched the 5 min highlight reel from the game for him...expecting to be disappointed based on what Ive been reading here.

Lance looked REALLY good.

I noticed:

1) Felt and managed line/pocket pressure extremely well
2) Kept eyes down field and working his progressions
3) Some very tight throws in traffic
4) Trusted his legs to save him when the pass wasnt going to work
5) VERY fast

On two plays, noticed his throws were higher than preferred, but both were still completed.

I did not see anything saying he doesnt have a potential future as a QB.
Thanks for your post.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Thanks for your post.

Yes, that was my point. There were so many negative posts here about him. Some sounded really disapointed.

I wanted to clarify the situation with him a bit. For me its like a miracle that a guy with essentially only one season of college football was playing the way he did in the PS game.
People that had low or realistic expectations thought he played fairly well. Those that thought he was a Phenom or a legit 1st round pick were highly disappointed.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Well he was able to beat out the starting qb veteran in San Francisco in only one season with essentially no play time. And with only one season of college experience

some would say thats a sign of talent he has.
And why not expect him to do the same here, when he proved he is able to: with little practise time, achieve a lot.

Of course you will always find the nay sayers who preach their doom and gloom.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
People that had low or realistic expectations thought he played fairly well. Those that thought he was a Phenom or a legit 1st round pick were highly disappointed.
Well give examples of those people.

Or do you just post some stuff you think that could be true ? Because it fits your agenda.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Well he was able to beat out the starting qb veteran in San Francisco in only one season with essentially no play time. And with only one season of college experience

And why not expect him to do the same here, when he proved he is able to: with little practise time, achieve a lot.

Truth.

JimmyG was probably butt hurt over that.

Chasing6

Reaction score

He did not nest out Jimmy G.

You believe he beat out Jimmy G. and then lost to Sam Darnold? How does that make sense?

The Niners recognized he needed experience and made him the starter by default. They believed they had a good enough roster to win with him, while getting him the experience he desperately needed.

Ironicalicon

Reaction score
Lance is in the final year of his contract, right? If he doesn't play at all this season, how cheap could he be re-signed for?

Chasing6

Reaction score
5 years ?

Explain please.
Played 1 year in college 2019.
1. Sat out 2020 Covid
2. Drafted 2021 sat the bench
3. Started 2022 got hurt early in the season
4. 2023 traded to Dallas - sat the bench
5. Fighting for QB2.

He has started I believe 8 games only. 2 of them he got injured in the first quarter. 1 was in basically unplayable weather, impossible to evaluate him. So he basically has played in 5 NFL games.