I think a lot of people are taking the Dak friendly as “dumbed down”

nobody

Reaction score
What does that mean "take too long to develop"?

How long it too long? What kind of routes take too long? Are they hiding in the bushes for a minute? Then pop out?
Are you familiar with the idea that the O-line has a tougher time protecting the longer a play goes on? Especially a struggling O-line. Why didn't Moore adjust to that? I'm not excusing Dak's sometimes incompetence in that area, but just like Garrett Moore expecting players to fit HIS idea of how things should be rather than play to the strengths of those he has.

Moore's gone for a reason. It's not /just/ because of Dak. Both have been a problem.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
and he won 4, dak came back and would not play conservatively like Rush. ego would not let him just play team ball. if you can't see that, then there is nothing else I can say.
You're guessing, then trying to pass your guess off as fact to fit a narrative.

Moore had more conservative playcalling and using extra tight-ends when Rush played. Go watch the games, I dont have to guess when its on film.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you familiar with the idea that the O-line has a tougher time protecting the longer a play goes on? Especially a struggling O-line. Why didn't Moore adjust to that? I'm not excusing Dak's sometimes incompetence in that area, but just like Garrett Moore expecting players to fit HIS idea of how things should be rather than play to the strengths of those he has.

Moore's gone for a reason. It's not /just/ because of Dak. Both have been a problem.
aware, I am. Of the o line struggles. And incompmetant... KM.

You made no mention of the type of WR routes that "take too long to develop".

It seems to me you object systemically....there was never one thing to blame. I would agree. I was just tryin to bear down on this taking too long thing. I mean...how long are things suppose to take? Aren't there options?

It's a bit complicated I get it. An NFL play should NEVER "take too long". Even a bomb shouldn't. A busted play now and then? Mkay.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're guessing, then trying to pass your guess off as fact to fit a narrative.

Moore had more conservative playcalling and using extra tight-ends when Rush played. Go watch the games, I dont have to guess when its on film.
So why wouldn't he make Dak follow that formula? Just asking...seems like if it worked for Rush it would work even better for Dak.

kskboys

Reaction score
aware, I am. Of the o line struggles. And incompmetant... KM.

You made no mention of the type of WR routes that "take too long to develop".

It seems to me you object systemically....there was never one thing to blame. I would agree. I was just tryin to bear down on this taking too long thing. I mean...how long are things suppose to take? Aren't there options?

It's a bit complicated I get it. An NFL play should NEVER "take too long". Even a bomb shouldn't. A busted play now and then? Mkay.
Mostly longer routes, or routes w/ too many cuts.

Mike Marz was known for this, and got Warner killed and ruined a very promising young player's career in Marc Bulger w/ his long developing routes.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
So why wouldn't he make Dak follow that formula? Just asking...seems like if it worked for Rush it would work even better for Dak.
I dont know, but Iam sure it had something to do with Dak having more reps in Moore's offense.

Because you must read the D quickly to play like that. Dak's a bit slow in doing so.
False. The play calling Rush followed was considered more conservative and simplified. So a qb wouldnt have to read the defense any quicker than normal.

kskboys

Reaction score
I dont know, but Iam sure it had something to do with Dak having more reps in Moore's offense.

False. The play calling Rush followed was considered more conservative/ simplified. So a qb wouldnt have to read the defense any quicker than normal.
Not false. To throw short passes, the QB must see the LB's and S's and other defenders and know where they are at all times. Many QBs cannot run these types of O's. Think, man.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Not false. To throw short passes, the QB must see the LB's and S's and other defenders and know where they are at all times. Many QBs cannot run these types of O's. Think, man.
So if thats the case and with Dak being so good against the blitz... how is he "a bit slow" in reading defenses? or is he just lucky?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is the Forest Gump of the NFL.....
Think about it, the same storyline as Forest as both achieved wealth and greatness simply due to luck.

Dang............. :huh:
dam-dak.gif

forrest-gump-awkward.gif

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Think about it, the same storyline as Forest as both achieved wealth and greatness simply due to luck.

We are talking actual football in here old man, get lost...

shabazz

Reaction score
I don’t think that’s what the Cowboys are trying to get across. Moore’s vertical based offense had wr and the qbs both make adjustments while running 25 yards down the field only to lead to a pick because one or both were often not reading the same thing from the defense. McCarthys offense is going to contain most of the verbiage in the play call telling the qb and wrs where to be. Daks job is to get the ball out in the 10-15 yard range letting the wr or rb take the ball up the field horizontally. The ball comes out quickly on a step count limiting the turnovers. He’s going to have more time to read the defense upfront and based on his initial look and how the defense lines up the qb and wrs know what side of the field to target. Instead of a bunch of cues the wrs will be focused on their breaks and how many steps to take then break. The qb will be focused on how many steps until the ball comes out and throwing to a spot. Everything is timed planned and must go off on a certain step count.
Forget about what people here are saying about it since we all have a biased view of it.

Look no further than what all the sports media outlets are saying. 90% of the ones we’ve all seen, are saying that it is absolutely dumbed down and ridiculous because it’s admitting that an 8 year veteran in the same offense is now going to make it less complex and less decision making on his part…..it’s irrefutable

Could have paid this kind of QB intelligence a lot less money and gotten the same results

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Remember just a few short years ago when "we" hated the Garrett offense because it was too simple and was based on "just lining up and beating your man"?

Now "we" hate the Moore offense because it was too complex, requiring option routes and decision making to scheme guys open.
it wasn't too complex. his issue was game situation management and his route comibnatins were questionable. I can't count the number of times he ran Wrs into the same area, thinking he is going to confuse people, or when he brought CD lamb tight to the formation on the right, then have him take a step back, I knew it was a run to the right. you don't become a great OC in NFL, with all of one NFL year of coaching experience. nobody has ever done it and there is a reason. we went through several years of mistakes with Moore as he was learning.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

dam-dak.gif

forrest-gump-awkward.gif
This particular Forrest Gump movie reference does not get an automatic like. :thumbdown:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
and he won 4, dak came back and would not play conservatively like Rush. ego would not let him just play team ball. if you can't see that, then there is nothing else I can say.
we won 4 because the defense was averaging 13.5 points per game. the offense was ranked 22nd and lower in every statistical category. the first time a team scored more than 20 points on us, we lost. I mean the defense won the rams game, when your Rush Crush passed for 100 yards. yeah, lets put him on Mount Rushmore!!!! LOL