I think a lot of people are taking the Dak friendly as “dumbed down”

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
From what I have heard it's the opposite. They are giving Dak more freedom in this offense. And even if it is simplified that doesn't mean anything negative. The Cowboys' offense in the 1990's when Troy Aikman was here was extremely basic. If you have talent and run plays to perfection- which was Aikman's forte- then the defense can't stop it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
From what I have heard it's the opposite. They are giving Dak more freedom in this offense. And even if it is simplified that doesn't mean anything negative. The Cowboys' offense in the 1990's when Troy Aikman was here was extremely basic. If you have talent and run plays to perfection- which was Aikman's forte- then the defense can't stop it.
Maybe they’re allowing Dak to change the route instead of giving the receiver the option to change.

Too many times there were guys in the same spot.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I don’t think that’s what the Cowboys are trying to get across. Moore’s vertical based offense had wr and the qbs both make adjustments while running 25 yards down the field only to lead to a pick because one or both were often not reading the same thing from the defense. McCarthys offense is going to contain most of the verbiage in the play call telling the qb and wrs where to be. Daks job is to get the ball out in the 10-15 yard range letting the wr or rb take the ball up the field horizontally. The ball comes out quickly on a step count limiting the turnovers. He’s going to have more time to read the defense upfront and based on his initial look and how the defense lines up the qb and wrs know what side of the field to target. Instead of a bunch of cues the wrs will be focused on their breaks and how many steps to take then break. The qb will be focused on how many steps until the ball comes out and throwing to a spot. Everything is timed planned and must go off on a certain step count.
He is going to play like he did for Wade Wilson in 2016 and Jon Kitna in 2019 his best winning and statistical years in the NFL because he is going to run like Dak and pass like Dak. Everyone knows Aaron Rogers strength is the same as Aaron Brooks, and Brett Frave...throw on the run, out the pocket, throw in the pocket, and run when there is nothing there. 3 of 4 has been missing from the Wilson and Kitna years. McCarthy is going to let him play to his strengths. He is not going to try to make him Troy Aikman or Tony Romo. Dak in his entire football career has not been a turn over QB excluding 2022 coming off and injury.

If he does not turn it around, it will not be McCarthy's fault and the Cowboys should immediately start the search for the next QB. If it does not work, I would trade for Angry Bird (Kyler Murray) who maybe getting kicked out of AZ.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
rush didn't seem to have any problems.
Dallas' offense scored nine touchdowns total in the five games Rush started. If you can't see that things were scaled back when he was in there than there's really nothing else I can say.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Remember just a few short years ago when "we" hated the Garrett offense because it was too simple and was based on "just lining up and beating your man"?

Now "we" hate the Moore offense because it was too complex, requiring option routes and decision making to scheme guys open.

nobody

Reaction score
KMs scheme seems very difficult for both wr and qb to be on the same page, which is a major flaw imo. It's not worth the risk and lack of confidence it creates.

The bad thing is if/when they succeed without him I'll be stuck wondering how much time we wasted.
Moore's scheme also had the flaw of all of the receiver routes in a play developing at the same time making it harder for the QB in progressions. They often also had the Garrett habit of being overcomplicated and taking too long to develop.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Prescott is a playaction, Methodical, dink, dunk, mistake, free quarterback. They wanted to turn him into Patrick Mahomes. Well, we match the yardage, but we started to lose. We don’t have the quality coaching or teams that Kansas City has.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore's scheme also had the flaw of all of the receiver routes in a play developing at the same time making it harder for the QB in progressions. They often also had the Garrett habit of being overcomplicated and taking too long to develop.
What does that mean "take too long to develop"?

How long it too long? What kind of routes take too long? Are they hiding in the bushes for a minute? Then pop out?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Dallas' offense scored nine touchdowns total in the five games Rush started. If you can't see that things were scaled back when he was in there than there's really nothing else I can say.
and he won 4, dak came back and would not play conservatively like Rush. ego would not let him just play team ball. if you can't see that, then there is nothing else I can say.