I would love to see Crawford go

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They complain because it directly impacts the quality of other players that the team can afford to sign. Therefore, players salaries have a direct impact on the quality of the team and its ability to win. That is why fans care about salaries.

It is an important part of every sport that has a salary cap. NBA fans worry about salaries, and NHL fans also worry about salaries because it directly affects their teams success.
While that is true losing these guys doesn't improve the roster.
And eating dead money while trying to replace quality player is generally a way to get WORSE not better.

Sometimes the best thing to do with overpaid players is find a way to get their salary in line with reality.
See Doug Free.
Players can agree to lower base extensions that allow money to be shifted into future season and keep yearly cap hits about right.

Dallas won't have 6 better DL than Crawford so you need him.

The biggest issue for fans is they do not think their4 arguments through to logical conclusions.
They wanna eat dead money to get rid of overpaid players, then cry immediately how the team needs to overspend to sign a replacement all so they can argue in 12 to 24 months that guy is overpaid and should be cut.
Fans are just stupid.

Proof

Reaction score
I've always hated the "it's not your money" argument.

Followed closely by "show me who they could have signed that would push them over the top"

good stuff

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Lol he's right. If no one watches them on TV, fills the stadiums, or buys the merchandise. How would they generate income?

Let me know when millions of people quit watching the NFL over how the teams spend their money.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure those GM’s know a whole lot more about a player and market value then some poster who claims they were fooled. Have fun
Ehhhh some GM's maybe not all. But I would have to think those GM's if they had a time machine would go back in time and maybe not pay them as much. Just sayin.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
This "no rotational dlineman should be paid X" **** has to stop.

Geno Atkins played 65% of snaps
Lotulelei played 58.9%
Lawrence played 67.2%
Kenny Clark 65.2%
Mike Daniels 59.7%
Hankins 63.6%
Chris Jones 61.7%

If you're classifying Crawford as rotational, then almost every Dlineman in the league is "rotational" and there for none should get paid.

kskboys

Reaction score

Followed closely by "show me who they could have signed that would push them over the top"

good stuff
Even stooopider is "You wouldn't say that to their face."

Talk about irrelevant and sorta dumb statements!!!!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
They tried to sign Watkins. He would have been an expensive player.

I think their "plan" is somewhat dictated by the fact they are consistently up against the cap. If they had say $50MM in cap space without having to restructure guys, etc., you think they would have still not signed an expensive player or two? Of course they would have.

They certainly could create space to sign guys if they wanted but I suspect Stephen is fearful of the constant kicking the can down the road if they mas restructure guys to create a ton of space.

But I have little doubt if they had a ton of free space, they'd buy some pricey FAs.

Maybe, or maybe they would just use it to lock up their own free agents at exorbitant prices that fans would then complain about.

The free agent philosophy shifted because of Carr. Even then, the Cowboys still offered Greg Hardy a 1-year, $11-million deal that was structured in a way to make it a bargain. However, Hardy not producing like hoped and being a problem player probably cemented the current philosophy.

As you said, Watkins would have been expensive, but A) we had his former position coach to vouch for him and B) he would have replaced Dez Bryant for a lower cap hit. (His first-year hit with KC is $7.8 million, which is less than what we would save if Bryant was released.)

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

good stuff

Or the we pay their salaries argument

kskboys

Reaction score
While that is true losing these guys doesn't improve the roster.
And eating dead money while trying to replace quality player is generally a way to get WORSE not better.

Sometimes the best thing to do with overpaid players is find a way to get their salary in line with reality.
See Doug Free.
Players can agree to lower base extensions that allow money to be shifted into future season and keep yearly cap hits about right.

Dallas won't have 6 better DL than Crawford so you need him.

The biggest issue for fans is they do not think their4 arguments through to logical conclusions.
They wanna eat dead money to get rid of overpaid players, then cry immediately how the team needs to overspend to sign a replacement all so they can argue in 12 to 24 months that guy is overpaid and should be cut.
Fans are just stupid.
Doug Free willingly took a pay cut. An actual pay cut, not just kicking the can down the road. The huge majority of players would in no way be willing to do that. Major kudos to Doug, he's a real man.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
$10 million for solid depth....smh....even $3-4mill for solid depth is robbery
We are paying 9.1m on this year's cap but that's because we bumped 1.1m to it in past restructure.
That's the restructures and flipping of switches fans oh so love.

TC is a starting caliber SDE and 3T. He's just not a top 20 guy at either.
He's 28 so about at his peak now and cutting him would cost 7.3M... so you'd have 1.8M to replace him.
His base this year is 6M. Honestly that's about what he'd get on the open market.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
This "no rotational dlineman should be paid X" **** has to stop.

Geno Atkins played 65% of snaps
Lotulelei played 58.9%
Lawrence played 67.2%
Kenny Clark 65.2%
Mike Daniels 59.7%
Hankins 63.6%
Chris Jones 61.7%

If you're classifying Crawford as rotational, then almost every Dlineman in the league is "rotational" and there for none should get paid.
Whoever didn't have Geno on the field all game should be fired. The rest of those guys are mostly run stuffers and sit for passing downs and nickel situations most likely. And I have zero faith in marinelli. Does that help?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
We are paying 9.1m on this year's cap but that's because we bumped 1.1m to it in past restructure.
That's the restructures and flipping of switches fans oh so love.

TC is a starting caliber SDE and 3T. He's just not a top 20 guy at either.
He's 28 so about at his peak now and cutting him would cost 7.3M... so you'd have 1.8M to replace him.
His base this year is 6M. Honestly that's about what he'd get on the open market.
I think everyone would agree that cutting him now would be stupid with the dead money cost. It just sucks he got the deal in the first place. And alot of fans being around a while all scratched their head and questioned the deal when it was done in 15 after we already moved to a 4-3 and no real plan for him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Lol he's right. If no one watches them on TV, fills the stadiums, or buys the merchandise. How would they generate income?
Now all you gotta do to make a point is get EVERYONE to agree to boycott, lol.
They fought the president and the salary cap went up....

The NFL is a monster. Too big to fail.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Crawford and don’t get why other fans don’t. Dude plays hard, plays hurt, plays wherever asked, and is fairly productive. I’d much rather see him agree to a salary adjustment and stay. What I don’t get is why people don’t like him as a player just because of his contract. Fix the contract if it’s an issue. Replace him if you can’t fix it. It’s pretty simple.

kskboys

Reaction score
I like Crawford and don’t get why other fans don’t. Dude plays hard, plays hurt, plays wherever asked, and is fairly productive. I’d much rather see him agree to a salary adjustment and stay. What I don’t get is why people don’t like him as a player just because of his contract. Fix the contract if it’s an issue. Replace him if you can’t fix it. It’s pretty simple.
Yup. He's a great guy who plays w/ a great motor, and is a decent player. He'd be better if he possibly could.

It's our fault for overpaying when his physical skillset clearly screamed decent player, not great. On the DL, we seem to think that all it takes is for a guy to try really hard. If you asked Jerry about quick first step, I doubt if he'd even understand what you're referring to.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Whoever didn't have Geno on the field all game should be fired. The rest of those guys are mostly run stuffers and sit for passing downs and nickel situations most likely. And I have zero faith in marinelli. Does that help?

No it SEVERLY hurts your argument.
Classifying Kenny Clark, Lawrence, and Chris Jones!!!!!! As run stuffers is not a smart thing to say outloud.

It completely debunks any argument about rotational pieces.

kskboys

Reaction score
No it SEVERLY hurts your argument.
Classifying Kenny Clark, Lawrence, and Chris Jones!!!!!! As run stuffers is not a smart thing to say outloud.

It completely debunks any argument about rotational pieces.
Historically, from the past up through now, the best DLines were on a rotation. We won 3 super bowls using this philosophy. And used up DWare's career by playing him all the time. To best utilize any DL player, he must have some rest during the course of the game so he can come in in the 4th and have some gas left.

Philly just won the super bowl due to this DL philosophy.