If CLE trades for Mariota, does Jerry trade for Manziel?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Nope....I don't even want to be tied to his rookie contract.
He did absolutely nothing on the field this year, didn't even flash a single play that would make one say, "Wow."
Add to that his season long off field problems, not at all interested, not even for the practice squad.

visionary

Reaction score
I was not a big Manziel fan. I only watched s couple games of him playing in college. He has talent. Anybody that denies it is not able to see things with an open mind. I have never seem such hate directed at a player. Do you haters take joy in a talented young man that is ruining his life? If he is clean and wants to straighten his life up, he could still have a good career in the pros. He brings a unique talent set to the QB position that can make him a good player. From reading some of these comments, there are child abusers that are not hated as much. Manziel is just an immature typical college age kid that likes to party. Those types are not rare. Is that any reason to hate the kid. I hope he turns his life around and has a good career. I can't understand why anybody would feel differently. Some of these posters praise players that beat women as long as they signed with Dsllas, but Manziel gets much more hate. Some of it comes from college fans that didn't like the school he played for , so I guess they wish him the worst for that reasons. Irvin had more problems than Manziel ever had, but he was a Cowboy and all is forgiven. It troubles me that so many can hate an immature kid that hasn't hurt anyone but himself. At least he didn't kill a teammate while he was drunk. The hate goes too far.No have reasons to hate a couple people in my life, but those reasons are much more important than football which is nothing more than a game. Too many people don't understand the true meaning of hate.

Lol @ the faux outrage in this post
I can hear the violins in the background

Please give it a rest
Johnny Foozeball is a waste of space

jnday

Reaction score
Lol @ the faux outrage in this post
I can hear the violins in the background

Please give it a rest
Johnny Foozeball is a waste of space

Haters gonna hate , even when they have no reason to.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
off topic, but has anyone else seen this?

dallascowboysschedule.gif

No and I don't think its correct. But I've seen one that mixes up the home and away games. I think @WoodysGirl said the schedule will be out the 23rd.

Back OT I think Manziel can turn it around. I don't know his ceiling or success but he will be better without the distractions and drugs for sure like @jnday stated.

jnday

Reaction score
No and I don't think its correct. But I've seen one that mixes up the home and away games. I think @WoodysGirl said the schedule will be out the 23rd.

Back OT I think Manziel can turn it around. I don't know his ceiling or success but he will be better without the distractions and drugs for sure like @jnday stated.

My whole point with Manziel is that nobody knows how he could perform if he is sober and decides to apply himself. There are a lot of doubters, but the guy has some special talents that could make him a good QB. Some fans are so blinded by hate, that they can't see it or they are not willing to give him a chance.

Last edited:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
My whole point with Manziel is that nobody knows how he could perform if he is sober and decides to apply himself. There are a lot of doubters, but the guy has some special talents that could make him a good QB. Some fans are so blinded by hate, that they can't see it or they are not willing to give him a chance.

I agree. As I stated I don't know what he's got but if he doesn't fall off the wagon then we'll get a chance to see. It may take awhile for them to trust him. Let's see what he does in TC and the preseason.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For a late round draft choice? Sign me up. I'll gladly send a 7th rounder this year to Cleveland to possibly obtain Romo's replacement. Say what you will, but there was some level of consideration for using last year's 1st rounder. His rookie season went as poorly as it could have, no doubt, but the same talents and traits that people saw last year are still there.

If he's made available on the cheap, if Cleveland drafted another QB of the future, I would send them a late round draft pick.

I wouldn't start to defend Manziel's issues, but it seems obvious to me that the system in Cleveland absolutely sucks. From Josh Gordon, to Justin Gilbert, to Manziel. The team either pursues guys with issues, or they do nothing to help their players avoid them. Take your pick on that. I think the Cowboys have proven to have a much better staff and a much better system in place. I have faith in their ability to help Manziel turn things around.

So yeah, for a late round draft pick, I would roll the dice on Manziel as Romo's eventual successor. Worst case scenario, it costs me a 7th round crap shoot on another player.

lostar2009

Reaction score
For a late round draft choice? Sign me up. I'll gladly send a 7th rounder this year to Cleveland to possibly obtain Romo's replacement. Say what you will, but there was some level of consideration for using last year's 1st rounder. His rookie season went as poorly as it could have, no doubt, but the same talents and traits that people saw last year are still there.

If he's made available on the cheap, if Cleveland drafted another QB of the future, I would send them a late round draft pick.

I wouldn't start to defend Manziel's issues, but it seems obvious to me that the system in Cleveland absolutely sucks. From Josh Gordon, to Justin Gilbert, to Manziel. The team either pursues guys with issues, or they do nothing to help their players avoid them. Take your pick on that. I think the Cowboys have proven to have a much better staff and a much better system in place. I have faith in their ability to help Manziel turn things around.

So yeah, for a late round draft pick, I would roll the dice on Manziel as Romo's eventual successor. Worst case scenario, it costs me a 7th round crap shoot on another player.

Yup JJ said Manziel was actually rated higher than Martin. I think the Browns was a bad spot for Manziel and they kind of mishandle him. At the same token Manziel should have stayed in college if he still had some play left in him. Manziel went to rehab and everyone will look to see how he responds. I think if JJ wants him this is the year to get him since Cleveland morale on Manziel is the lowest and they are publicly seeking his replacment. There is a good chance Cleveland might drop some picks on a qb and recouping a mid round pick for Manziel might be something they will look into.

joseephuss

Reaction score

Why does it have to be hatred to not see the special talents? It is just observation in my book.

I see a guy who is shorter and smaller than I prefer in a QB. I see a guy with less than desirable arm strength. I see a guy with bad techniques and mechanics in many aspects of the position such as drop backs and stepping into throws to just name a couple. He is fast for the college game, but not at the NFL level. Michael Vick and RGIII are faster and their running abilities only get them so far in the pros. They also struggle with injuries and Manziel is smaller than both. There are questions about whether Marcus Mariotta or Bryce Petty can transition to the NFL due to the systems they played in college. Manziel has those same questions. If it was just one questionable thing about Manziel such as size then he would be worth taking a chance on with a draft pick, but there are multiple questions. Since the Browns may move on from him then just wait until he gets released even if it is in 2016. No need to trade a pick for him.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Why does it have to be hatred to not see the special talents? It is just observation in my book.

I see a guy who is shorter and smaller than I prefer in a QB. I see a guy with less than desirable arm strength. I see a guy with bad techniques and mechanics in many aspects of the position such as drop backs and stepping into throws to just name a couple. He is fast for the college game, but not at the NFL level. Michael Vick and RGIII are faster and their running abilities only get them so far in the pros. They also struggle with injuries and Manziel is smaller than both. There are questions about whether Marcus Mariotta or Bryce Petty can transition to the NFL due to the systems they played in college. Manziel has those same questions. If it was just one questionable thing about Manziel such as size then he would be worth taking a chance on with a draft pick, but there are multiple questions. Since the Browns may move on from him then just wait until he gets released even if it is in 2016. No need to trade a pick for him.

You forgot one... Between the ears.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Why? When it is just a matter of time before he is cut. FWIW Roger Staubach thinks he can play.

Roger added a ton of qualifications though. He even said the mental makeup of a QB is probably the most important aspect...and that Manziel had a lot to prove in the leadership and other mental areas.

He did say with good coaching, he thought he could do it physically....even compared him toRussell Wilson physically. Of course they are polar opposites mentally.

A ton of IFs there.

I'm one who certainly didn't want him in the 1st round last year. But Minot really a hater and I won't rule him out from having a decent career.
Still don't want him here though.
Btw, I would've benefit with us grabbing a project QB last year in the 5th. There were 2-3 there worth looking into.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Yup JJ said Manziel was actually rated higher than Martin. I think the Browns was a bad spot for Manziel and they kind of mishandle him. At the same token Manziel should have stayed in college if he still had some play left in him. Manziel went to rehab and everyone will look to see how he responds. I think if JJ wants him this is the year to get him since Cleveland morale on Manziel is the lowest and they are publicly seeking his replacment. There is a good chance Cleveland might drop some picks on a qb and recouping a mid round pick for Manziel might be something they will look into.

Talk is cheap. The Cowboys didn't take Manziel for a reason.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:hammer:

lostar2009

Reaction score
Talk is cheap. The Cowboys didn't take Manziel for a reason.

Yeah Stephen talk him out of the pick. I think it was more of a priority pick as they felt like they wanted to finish the OL. JJ knows Romo might have 3 years left max on him so we need someone back there not name Weeden.