If Dak struggles like he did in 2019, how long before Dalton steps in?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
This mentality of accepting mediocrity will make the 26 year wait longer . Dak had his chance ,and now he wants to bankrupt the cap . A vicious circle .

but you want to move on ...
sure lets move on from dak lol

HellCrowe

Reaction score
We’d have to see what situations he is put in and most importantly the record. Forget yards, the biggest factor is:

1. Our Record
  2. If we can win against > .500 teams
I totally expect this from any position on the team. If they are not getting things done (whether it’s injury or performance) we’d have to look at other options. Some other positions I am looking at are CB (whether our rookies start or not) and Defensive Line. We have depth there and I am glad we have options. To the same token, I am glad we have a plan B if Dak does not do well either. Believe it or not, Dak has a lot of pressure this season.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
We’d have to see what situations he is put in and most importantly the record. Forget yards, the biggest factor is:

1. Our Record
I totally expect this from any position on the team. If they are not getting things done (whether it’s injury or performance) we’d have to look at other options. Some other positions I am looking at are CB (whether our rookies start or not) and Defensive Line. We have depth there and I am glad we have options. To the same token, I am glad we have a plan B if Dak does not do well either.

Dak needs Zeke (consistent running game) to show up against .500 teams.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Dak needs Zeke (consistent running game) to show up against .500 teams.

True. Just like any position on the team. WR need to catch the ball and the defense needs to be better. With that said, we need to win and with the ball in the QBs hand and all the money and everything else that goes into the position, it is a must win season for Dak.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
True. Just like any position on the team. WR need to catch the ball and the defense needs to be better. With that said, we need to win and with the ball in the QBs hand and all the money and everything else that goes into the position, it is a must win season for Dak.

Well the D needs to be way better on 3rd downs and not be last in the league in takeaways too. And hopefully the special teams is way better.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Well the D needs to be way better on 3rd downs and not be last in the league in takeaways too. And hopefully the special teams is way better.

True. Just like any position on the team. WR need to catch the ball and the defense needs to be better.

I guess we agree. ST, S, CB, DE, DT, MLB, OLB, K, P, LS, ST, WR, TE, OT, OG, C, RB, QB and maybe the FB.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Dalton sucks. If Dallas abandons Dak in favor of 33-year-old retread, they're doomed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not at all convinced that Dalton will be destined to replace Dak. :rolleyes:

If he does, it'll likely be because Dak sucks horribly or gets injured. o_O

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We agree he is not elite. Therefore paying him anything more than 25-28 mil costs the cowboys valuable cap space to fix gaping Defensive holes exposed repeatedly by good teams . Plus the offense is due soon for an upgrade . But Dak and his agent is holding the team hostage with the rediculous 35-40 mil . This is a losing proposition if Jerry caves . The alternative is already on the roster ( dalton for 3 mil ) or Jerry could have gotten Brady for 28 mil . Otherwise the sad 26 year wait continues , as Dak has not shown he can take the team further .
that has nothing to do with what he gets paid....its the QB market. is Wentz elite? is Goff elite? is Cousins elite? its the market and what it bears for starting QBs....QBs in the 13-16 range are making that much, so your assertion of pay him $25mill is ridiculous on several levels. When Ryan got paid he was the highest paid QB, now he is in the 25-28 range......back then it was ridicuolous...same with Stafford....why? because the market always moves up...so if you pay him today the $35 then in 2 years that's the market average...…..same thing happened to wilson, he got paid and was highest paid annually and in less than 2 years he is making average...….your response makes no sense at all.....

and our defensive issues often had more to do with scheme and coaches being on the same page and bad signings and bad drafts.....we wasted a first round pick on taco Charlton and wasted a pick on Hill, two valuable picks that should be here and starting and highly contributing. we wasted Byron jones at safety for 4 years before moving him and clinging and paying high price contract to Crawford for nothing.

Dak and his agent aren't holding the team hostage. Dak signed his tender. Its Jones' that are bungling the negotiations hanging on and wanting a 5th year. they had an option to up the offer last year (which I was against) and sign him last summer for 29-32 mill and they didn't. price went up.

and in regards to Dalton....he is not going to get us to the promiseland. you will win the battle of the spreadsheet and salary cap, but we end up losers. Dalton sucks. he is going down hill. he folds in big games. and has never won a playoff game and in fact has had his worst performances in the playoffs. if you choose dalton, I guess you like losing and being disappointed......

and even this past year, bad coaching cost us at least 2-3 games and everyone on this board agrees to that......Dak and this team was being held back by Garrett, Linehan, Marinelli and Richard....and 2019 was one of the strangest coaching situations I ever remember.....

johneric8

Reaction score
Dak did not play well vs good teams in 2019. If he plays under the tag, the Cowboys are not bound to him long term.
At what point do you think he would be pulled?
I think that Dalton would get a shot if the Cowboys struggle to a .500 mark after 8 games, or if the Cowboys were to go into a three game losing streak early in the season.
How much leeway do you think McCarthy will give him if he is struggling?
So if and when Zeke struggles, how long will it take for Tony Pollard to take over as lead back? :facepalm:

basel90

Reaction score
that has nothing to do with what he gets paid....its the QB market. is Wentz elite? is Goff elite? is Cousins elite? its the market and what it bears for starting QBs....QBs in the 13-16 range are making that much, so your assertion of pay him $25mill is ridiculous on several levels. When Ryan got paid he was the highest paid QB, now he is in the 25-28 range......back then it was ridicuolous...same with Stafford....why? because the market always moves up...so if you pay him today the $35 then in 2 years that's the market average...…..same thing happened to wilson, he got paid and was highest paid annually and in less than 2 years he is making average...….your response makes no sense at all.....

and our defensive issues often had more to do with scheme and coaches being on the same page and bad signings and bad drafts.....we wasted a first round pick on taco Charlton and wasted a pick on Hill, two valuable picks that should be here and starting and highly contributing. we wasted Byron jones at safety for 4 years before moving him and clinging and paying high price contract to Crawford for nothing.

Dak and his agent aren't holding the team hostage. Dak signed his tender. Its Jones' that are bungling the negotiations hanging on and wanting a 5th year. they had an option to up the offer last year (which I was against) and sign him last summer for 29-32 mill and they didn't. price went up.

and in regards to Dalton....he is not going to get us to the promiseland. you will win the battle of the spreadsheet and salary cap, but we end up losers. Dalton sucks. he is going down hill. he folds in big games. and has never won a playoff game and in fact has had his worst performances in the playoffs. if you choose dalton, I guess you like losing and being disappointed......

and even this past year, bad coaching cost us at least 2-3 games and everyone on this board agrees to that......Dak and this team was being held back by Garrett, Linehan, Marinelli and Richard....and 2019 was one of the strangest coaching situations I ever remember.....

agree that coaching and scheme were costly .
Dalton has not won a playoff game , but the same logic you apply to Dak applies to dalton . Except the fact Dak was playing for the cowboys ( top OL , RB , elite WRs) and not the horrible bengals .
And finally , what big games has Dak won ?. (1-6 against winning teams and folded badly against the saints , patriots , Vikings , jets , eagles etc etc ) . This is why I emphasize the risk of paying 32 million more over dalton . For all we know dalton may be as good or better behind that OL and RB and WRs .

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
agree that coaching and scheme were costly .
Dalton has not won a playoff game , but the same logic you apply to Dak applies to dalton . Except the fact Dak was playing for the cowboys ( top OL , RB , elite WRs) and not the horrible bengals .
And finally , what big games has Dak won ?. (1-6 against winning teams and folded badly against the saints , patriots , Vikings , jets , eagles etc etc ) . This is why I emphasize the risk of paying 32 million more over dalton . For all we know dalton may be as good or better behind that OL and RB and WRs .
Dalton had some weapons, so lets not make it as if he had nothing, but he still had awful, awful awful performances in the playoffs. Dalton is a very average to now below average QB. the bengals weren't horrible, they had good defense, and some offensive weapons....Dalton is just not that good.

Dak took the great Aaron Rodgers to the brink, needing one of his greatest magic moments to make a come back. stupid coaching cost us that game.....and he did that as a rookie. He won a playoff game, unquestionably one of his better performances coming through in critical times. the team was ill prepared against the Rams, giving up 208 rushing yards and being defensively crushed.

and everyone keeps referring to 2019 as if that's the only year to measure everything...and I find it curious on the one hand you say coaching cost us games and on the other hand you say Dak went 1-6 …...and he didn't fold badly against Saints....was it his fault that Witten fumbled a crucial catch in the middle of the field in a game that was within 2 points? was it his fault zeke fumbled on 4th down? against the patriots, the coaching cost us the game, crucial coaching mistakes, putting the defense in a bad position. in the NFL you win high scoring games and you win low scoring games and that's where coaching really matters. we bungled the game against the patriots, but then again its Garrett vs. Bilicheck…..hmmmm

Dak had one of his better performances against the Vikings, defense played really bad. on crucial drive in the end, he was 6 for 7 passing and the coaches decided to run the ball at a crucial time in the game, when we had 45 total yards of rushing all game!!! and then call a stupid pass play to zeke!!!! against the jets, our defense sucked absolutely horrible giving up all those points against one of the worst offenses in the league at the time and the coaches were horrid horrid horrid.

we had a bad game against the eagles.....across the board...players, offense, defense, special teams, coaches....horrible

most NFL games are going to be within 10 points going into the 4th, coaching at crucial times make all the difference in the games and we bungled time after time, not just in the past 4 years, but for the past 10 years...

and lets not forget our craapy special teams, with the kicker missing 10 straight field goals between 30-40 yards...what took so long to replace him!!!! he cost us some games as well....

and when a player is given resources, expectations are that he performs. in 2016, 2017, and part of 2018 he had average weapons in Dez, Williams and Witten. but once we got copper a WR probably in the 10-15 range in the NFL, he has been one of the best performing QBs in the league...as I have always argued, its about what you do with the weapons you are given. since mid 2018 when we got cooper he is one of the best passers in the league....and the same is true for all of the top QBs. lets not act as if they are playing with marshmellows. Brees has Thomas and Kamara, Brady has had gronk and edleman…...

but I find it interesting the Dak detractors keep pointing to 2019 to measure Dak, yet want to ignore all other years and give credit to the team, the OL, the RB, etc. for the success, yet all losses are Dak's fault!!!

in my opinion, coach, GM are responsible for wins and losses because its special teams, offense and defense. as the QB you are responsible for the offense and what you can do and in that you are limited by your coaches and what they do.....

pansophy

Reaction score

1. Our Record
I totally expect this from any position on the team. If they are not getting things done (whether it’s injury or performance) we’d have to look at other options. Some other positions I am looking at are CB (whether our rookies start or not) and Defensive Line. We have depth there and I am glad we have options. To the same token, I am glad we have a plan B if Dak does not do well either. Believe it or not, Dak has a lot of pressure this season.
The only reason to pull Dak is if we are doing poorly and you see something in practice that makes you think you might want to pay Dalton next year, but you aren't sure. Even then one would have to think about it because if Dalton plays great then you are just driving up your own price tag.

If Dak falls apart, and by falls apart it would have be much worse than an injured 2019 campaign, I probably only pull him if I feel like Dak has lost the team and it is the players who want Dalton to be in. That's a long term play for a new coach. I can't see much benefit beyond that.