If Dak struggles like he did in 2019, how long before Dalton steps in?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Money talks and Dak crazy talk walks.
NO LONG TERM DEAL for Dak....as only talent usually gets the big bucks!!!!

Oh now it's not just your long conversations with Jones to know what he's thinking it's now you make all of his decisions for him too. When you make it to the ranks of an actual NFL coach or GM then I'll give your OPINION some credit, until then you're just another Prescott hater playing wannabe GM.

basel90

Reaction score
so he lost all the games? he is solely responsible for all the losses? he is the only one accountable for wins and losses?
He failed at many crucial drives and junctions . He has not shown he is a gamer or a QB that can win games . Granted the defense and coaching lost many games . But Dak has not shown he is elite like he claims , since he is now the top paid cowboys ever ....

basel90

Reaction score
Facts are facts but what factor did scheme and coaching play in those losses? I do know even top 5 QB records against winning teams hover around 50/50 which would be considered very good. Dak is around 43% though has been trending down the last 2 year's. I'm not opposed to Dak playing the year under the tag, but we lost a lot of close games that perhaps better coaching can fix.
Mostly agree , the coaching was terrible and the Defense as well . But Dak’s 1-6 record last year and also in 2018 against winning teams is alarming .

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Mostly agree , the coaching was terrible and the Defense as well . But Dak’s 1-6 record last year and also in 2018 against winning teams is alarming .

Indeed. I can't believe he let the Bears put up 31 points with Trubisky at QB, or let the Jets score on a 92 yard TD pass. And who could ever forget the blocked punt and missed field goals at New England? But the worst one was allowing the Rams to rush for 273 yards in a playoff game. Stupid Dak.

Doesn't he know that no matter what other dumb things happen with this team - in part due to brilliant coaching - he has still has to win or it's his fault? :rolleyes:

leeblair

Reaction score
Indeed. I can't believe he let the Bears put up 31 points with Trubisky at QB, or let the Jets score on a 92 yard TD pass. And who could ever forget the blocked punt and missed field goals at New England? But the worst one was allowing the Rams to rush for 273 yards in a playoff game. Stupid Dak.

Doesn't he know that no matter what other dumb things happen with this team - in part due to brilliant coaching - he has still has to win or it's his fault? :rolleyes:
Opposing offenses look much better against the Cowboys defense when the Cowboys offense fails to show up and forces them to play by themselves.

ghst187

Reaction score
:lmao2:STRUGGLES LIKE HE DID IN 2019? Your kidding. He was a shade under 5k yards passing and THATS struggling? OH MY.

IKR! Sure there were a few lackluster games but the rest of the team wasn’t exactly playing hard in some.

basel90

Reaction score
So

so you think the QB should not take any blame for these losses ? No TDs against saints , patriots , eagles .?. Miscues and bad decisions at crucial games ? This is a QB game . I have seen good QBs overcome bad defenses and winning games that their teams deserve to lose .

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak did not play well vs good teams in 2019. If he plays under the tag, the Cowboys are not bound to him long term.
At what point do you think he would be pulled?
I think that Dalton would get a shot if the Cowboys struggle to a .500 mark after 8 games, or if the Cowboys were to go into a three game losing streak early in the season.
How much leeway do you think McCarthy will give him if he is struggling?
The whole team struggled. To lay it all at Dak's feet is faulty logic.

leeblair

Reaction score
The whole team struggled. To lay it all at Dak's feet is faulty logic.
I would agree except that Dak didn't provide the leadership we expect from someone who is supposedly "marquee".
But, you're right, I suppose. Dak proved he was just another player on the team, and that he isn't that "special" leader who will make the team better when they need a boost.
Which is why he doesn't deserve marquee pay.

blueblood70

Reaction score

keep using that, yes vlid excuse but didnt hear Mahomes cry in two playoff games being put down 17 and 21in forst 15mis iof the game, he said hold my beer and went and had the game tied or back ahead by FB Halftime..thats a 40mil QB looks like..doesnt cry about bad defense and bad kicker, sure some losses happen due to that but Elite QBs make **** happen.. they do this 2-3 times a year where they save loss by being elite and pitting team on his shoulders..

2019 dak did this ZERO TIMES and many losses were actually close and yet our QB who wants elite money has not played to that level in RECEBT history..

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Just heard Dak is signing a 4 year deal. 4 years and 140 million.. 112 guaranteed.0Lol. I kid, I kid.
LOL. Pappy was just rushed to the hospital!
So
Miscues and bad decisions at crucial games ? This is a QB game . I have seen good QBs overcome bad defenses and winning games that their teams deserve to lose .
Google how many drops this team had in 2019. There isn't a quarterback alive that hasn't had "miscues/bad decision" moments. Stop blaming one player. It takes a team & good coaching to excel in this league.

Something this team hasn't seen over a decade. Long before Dak was even drafted.

Move on already.

glimmerman

Reaction score

Google how many drops this team had in 2019. There isn't a quarterback alive that hasn't had "miscues/bad decision" moments. Stop blaming one player. It takes a team & good coaching to excel in this league.

Something this team hasn't seen over a decade. Long before Dak was even drafted.

Move on already.
If we had better coaching then I think we would have won a SB with the last 10 years. JG and his staff got out coached in the playoffs consistently.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He failed at many crucial drives and junctions . He has not shown he is a gamer or a QB that can win games . Granted the defense and coaching lost many games . But Dak has not shown he is elite like he claims , since he is now the top paid cowboys ever ....
ok, you cleverly tried to shift the blame onto Dak, but you did say the defense and coaching lost many games....so if we are measuring Dak by wins in 2019 (seemingly the only year that matter to allow the Dak detractors to argue their point)….so how many games did defense and coaching cost us in 2019?

and I always argue that you can't measure any stats in a vaccum. you have to compare/contrast with the rest of the league....you casually mentioned that he has not shown he is a gamer or a QB that wins games, yet defense and coachingare fault and that he failed in many crucial drives....how do you measure that? you didn't provide any examples of sorts, outside of a casual mention...how many crucial drives and junctions of the game did he succeed in? what's the expectations that he be 100% successful in those junctions? what is a crucial junction of the game? how many of those chances did we have? how does that compare to Rodgers? Brady? Brees? Wilson, etc. comparing in a vaccum doesn't make sense, unless expectations are that all of them need to be successful 100% of the time..

no one claims he is elite, he is top 10, that much is certainly proven and I assume your contention is with the money? or am I wrong? or are you just wanting to get rid of him for good? if this is the case, what's your plan to replace him?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would agree except that Dak didn't provide the leadership we expect from someone who is supposedly "marquee".
But, you're right, I suppose. Dak proved he was just another player on the team, and that he isn't that "special" leader who will make the team better when they need a boost.
Which is why he doesn't deserve marquee pay.
I don't think he is a top 5 QB that deserves top pay, and he needs to earn that. But, Jerry will probably pay him anyway. (He basically did by tagging him for a year.) I do think he will be better with a better scheme and coaching. I think he is top 10. He has been a special leader that elevated the team in some games. Last year was a throw away year for the whole team including Dak. I blame the coaching and scheme for that.
You could say he has a year to show his deserves more pay.
Edited

basel90

Reaction score
ok, you cleverly tried to shift the blame onto Dak, but you did say the defense and coaching lost many games....so if we are measuring Dak by wins in 2019 (seemingly the only year that matter to allow the Dak detractors to argue their point)….so how many games did defense and coaching cost us in 2019?

and I always argue that you can't measure any stats in a vaccum. you have to compare/contrast with the rest of the league....you casually mentioned that he has not shown he is a gamer or a QB that wins games, yet defense and coachingare fault and that he failed in many crucial drives....how do you measure that? you didn't provide any examples of sorts, outside of a casual mention...how many crucial drives and junctions of the game did he succeed in? what's the expectations that he be 100% successful in those junctions? what is a crucial junction of the game? how many of those chances did we have? how does that compare to Rodgers? Brady? Brees? Wilson, etc. comparing in a vaccum doesn't make sense, unless expectations are that all of them need to be successful 100% of the time..

no one claims he is elite, he is top 10, that much is certainly proven and I assume your contention is with the money? or am I wrong? or are you just wanting to get rid of him for good? if this is the case, what's your plan to replace him?
We agree he is not elite. Therefore paying him anything more than 25-28 mil costs the cowboys valuable cap space to fix gaping Defensive holes exposed repeatedly by good teams . Plus the offense is due soon for an upgrade . But Dak and his agent is holding the team hostage with the rediculous 35-40 mil . This is a losing proposition if Jerry caves . The alternative is already on the roster ( dalton for 3 mil ) or Jerry could have gotten Brady for 28 mil . Otherwise the sad 26 year wait continues , as Dak has not shown he can take the team further .

basel90

Reaction score

Move on already.
This mentality of accepting mediocrity will make the 26 year wait longer . Dak had his chance ,and now he wants to bankrupt the cap . A vicious circle .

but you want to move on ...

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
We agree he is not elite. Therefore paying him anything more than 25-28 mil costs the cowboys valuable cap space to fix gaping Defensive holes exposed repeatedly by good teams . Plus the offense is due soon for an upgrade . But Dak and his agent is holding the team hostage with the rediculous 35-40 mil . This is a losing proposition if Jerry caves . The alternative is already on the roster ( dalton for 3 mil ) or Jerry could have gotten Brady for 28 mil . Otherwise the sad 26 year wait continues , as Dak has not shown he can take the team further .

Gaping holes. lol. Coaching matters.