If Dallas Passes On DeCastro For A Corner, How Will You Feel?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4429477 said:
Guess this is my issue. Who we draft is so wide open right now cause we haven't even gone through free agency yet and the combine isn't even over. Hopefully our staff isn't close-minded and can be more flexible in our evaluations of players for this team.

Free agency will be much more important on the direction of this team this coming season.

This is what is going to be very interesting.

;)

Hoofbite

Reaction score
gimmesix;4429468 said:
Although I prefer DeCastro, I can't see why picking a CB would be condemned since it is one of our top needs.

If Dallas has a corner rated higher than DeCastro, then I want Dallas to take the corner. (I don't think any that will be available at that time will be higher-rated, but ... )

To me, this is much like people complaining about the Sean Lee pick in the second round a couple of years ago. Let Dallas follow its board and be happy about it.

And this goes for if Dallas picks neither a corner or a guard. We need to strengthen this roster with the best picks we can make, period. Need, of course, has to be factored in, but we're lucky that we have a lot of needs. :D

My priority, though, all things being equal, would be the trenches.

My only thought is, the value of getting an elite level G outweighs the value of getting a potentially very good CB.

Of course I don't know for sure how long each position typically plays but it seems like guards play later into their 30s than CBs typically do.

From that perspective, getting a G may provide another 3-4 years of production in comparison to getting a CB.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4429485 said:
My only thought is, the value of getting an elite level G outweighs the value of getting a potentially very good CB.

Of course I don't know for sure how long each position typically plays but it seems like guards play later into their 30s than CBs typically do.

From that perspective, getting a G may provide another 3-4 years of production in comparison to getting a CB.

CBs are drafted higher and paid more than guards for a reason. Just cause our team needs interior help doesn't change this fact. The basic assumption that is said there is one that shouldn't be made, cause after all, it is a crap shoot.

Comparing the value of an 'elite level G' outweights a 'very good CB'. But really, how do we know which deserves the label of 'elite'.

Point blank of the matter is every GM in the NFL would take an elite CB over and elite G with no questions asked. I'm sure when Revis came out, it wasn't known how elite he would be. This is the risk you take, but as of right now, I would rather wait at least til the CBs workout before I say none of them even has the possibility of being elite from where we pick.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd consider who grades out highest at the spot... If it's a CB, then I'm taking a corner. If it's DeCastro or Glenn, then they're it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If Dallas gets a Guard in FA or in the second round, it would not bother me the least.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4429492 said:
I'd consider who grades out highest at the spot... If it's a CB, then I'm taking a corner. If it's DeCastro or Glenn, then they're it.

I agree. All I want is for us to try to take care of most of our real needs in free agency, so that we can do this come draft time which is BPA.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoofbite;4429485 said:

Then there's the whole, a G will help you win in the trenches where games are won or lost. A CB doesn't.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deep_Freeze;4429495 said:
I agree. All I want is for us to try to take care of most of our real needs in free agency, so that we can do this come draft time which is BPA.

All teams can go BPA in the draft. Some just choose not to. And they end up just as needy next year too. And the next.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Risen Star;4429152 said:
Like we still don't have a clue on how to build a football team.

Geez. It's not like we don't know how you really feel about the Dallas Cowboys. :banghead:

jnday

Reaction score
baj1dallas;4429448 said:
I certainly thought about the fact that it's 100x easier to pick up a serviceable guard than it is a serviceable cornerback.

Really ? There are two good guards in free agency this year compared to five good CBs this year . In the draft , there are several CBs with second round grades compared to three with second round grades . Seems like good guards are harder to find . Using the term seviceable speaks to your level of expectations . I want more than serviceable playersbon this team .

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Risen Star;4429496 said:
Then there's the whole, a G will help you win in the trenches where games are won or lost. A CB doesn't.
^This^

In order, I feel like we need OL, then front 7, then CB.

jnday

Reaction score
Chuck 54;4429463 said:
That's what guys get paid a lot of money for...to do the homework...character issues early in college don't mean issues now....Dez had plenty of issues....Irvin had plenty even in the nfl.

I'm fine with OL if we find a cb to start in FA, but it's silly for guys to be so adamant about #14 before we see where we are after FA.

If you consider the layout of the talent in this year's draft , it is not silly to want DeCastro . He is considered the best guard prospect in years and he doesn't have past drug problems to worry about . The drug problems have been recent , so why take the risk ? As for Dez , he hasn't had drug problems , he has immaturity problems . Problems that are not of the legal kind . Big difference . Irvin had his drug problems , and for us older fans , it is not something that we want repeated .

cds99

Reaction score
I would love to have decastro but however we must have a CB. This team gets raped in the secondary. Period. Either we must get one in FA or get one via the draft. And not in the 5th or 6th round trying to find a diamond in the later rounds. Do whats needed and get a solid CB. My two favs. have to be kirkpatrick or J. Jenkins. I worry with jenkins past, thinking he could be a pacman and with kirkpatrick being so so and not elite. With jenkins you think he could be elite but just dont know. With decastro its a safer pick. If i am on the clock i pick a CB JUST because the draft is deep with chances to address the OL.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4429485 said:

Then there's also the thought process that you can cover for not having an elite guard but you can't make up for not having very good corners.

Again, I'm not saying I don't want the elite guard, but I can't argue with the idea of taking a first-round corner if that's where Dallas ends up.

I'd also add a top-notch pass rusher to that mix.

The best of those three positions should be the pick.

The one thing that would bug me is if someone like DeCastro is there and Dallas chooses to trade down and select a lower-rated corner. Use the pick unless the talent available just doesn't warrant it.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Risen Star;4429497 said:
All teams can go BPA in the draft. Some just choose not to. And they end up just as needy next year too. And the next.

Well of course BPA while still looking at the needs of the team, especially the earlier it is in the draft.

I just don't understand how anyone can make a decision (without a crystal ball) on who we should take before they even finish working out or we go through free agency.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Completely crappy, almost impossibly crappy, given that for a couple of weeks now I have been steeling myself for the increasing likelihood that he won't make it to 14. If he makes it and we pass, I will be flattened.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
gimmesix;4429525 said:
Then there's also the thought process that you can cover for not having an elite guard but you can't make up for not having very good corners.

Again, I'm not saying I don't want the elite guard, but I can't argue with the idea of taking a first-round corner if that's where Dallas ends up.

I'd also add a top-notch pass rusher to that mix.

The best of those three positions should be the pick.

The one thing that would bug me is if someone like DeCastro is there and Dallas chooses to trade down and select a lower-rated corner. Use the pick unless the talent available just doesn't warrant it.

Yeah, out of a pass rusher, G, C, or CB......the one that we can't fill in free agency should be of high concern. We need all of them filled, not just one or two of them.

jnday

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;4429529 said:
Well of course BPA while still looking at the needs of the team, especially the earlier it is in the draft.

I just don't understand how anyone can make a decision (without a crystal ball) on who we should take before they even finish working out or we go through free agency.

The OP asked DeCastro or a CB . The only CBs that rate in the same range as DeCastro are Jenkins and Kirkpatrick . This whole thread should be about that choice IMO . I think it is easy to choose DeCastro compared to Jenkins and Kirkpatrick . As for me , I want DeCastro at 14 . I don't care what free agency brings . Unless Luck or one of the other top players drop , I would take DeCastro . If he is gone , it opens up a new can of worms .

tm1119

Reaction score
I would take both DeCastro and Glenn over any CB, but Jenkins would be my 3rd choice so if its him I wouldnt be too upset. But if we take Kirkpatrick or some other CB not named Claiborne or Jenkins I'd be pissed.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I think David DeCastro is the favorite at 14. The guy is a solid, blue-chip guard, and he doesn't have holes on or off the field. Dallas needs 3 interior offensive line players, imso. Plus, DeCastro represents a safe investment in the top 15. Guards fall, and Dallas should be in prime position to nab him. Pittsburgh and Miami have taken advantage (in the teens) of the top interior offensive line player falling.

I'd be very happy to have DeCastro, and that is an under-statement. DeCastro would give Dallas two young, blue-chip offensive line players.
(Tyron Smith + David DeCastro) Plus, drafting DeCastro would be one more step in following the Jets model (for building a dominant offensive line). DeCastro is really the prototype LG in Dallas' offense.

There is a CB named Josh Norman (Coastal Carolina), and he would be a great second round pick at CB. Norman is an answer to Dre Kirkpatrick in this draft.

So, I wouldn't want to pass over DeCastro for Kirkpatrick, especially. Janoris Jenkins probably has better film than any CB in this draft, but he has baggage, too.

In 2011 (according to Mark Schlereth), the Dallas Cowboys ranked 27th (in rushing) when it was 3rd down and 3 or less. That has to change if the Cowboys want to get back into the elite, and it isn't the running backs' fault. The Cowboys are simply too small and weak in the interior offensive line. The suspect red-zone rushing and the lack of TDs by the running backs can be traced directly back to the interior offensive line play. Mark Schlereth (ESPN) did a film analysis on Dallas' poor interior offensive line run blocking, and the film said it all. Schlereth showed film of Dallas' interior offensive line getting blown up in the red-zone, and as a result, Jones and Murray had no chance.

A Tyron Smith + David Decastro left side should be flat out dominant.

Felix Jones, DeMarco Murray, and Tony Romo would be the three happiest players on the team.

Dallas simply must continue to re-build its offensive line. The job simply is no where near finished as I type.

Our RBs need holes and lanes and seams to run through, and our QB needs to be protected.