If Dallas wins next 2 games you will all be back on board with the team***Merged***

perrykemp

Reaction score
I'd feel better about their playoff chances (however remote) if the back 7 of the defense wasn't so disappointing so far this year.

I think the pass rush will come around -- there is just too much talent up front for that not to happen. At this stage the back 7 looks fairly talentless without Lee and Ro doubling as a DT....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It definitely looks grim. It's obvious that they're probably not going to win the division. But low-probability stuff also happens every year in the NFL.

I specifically didn't say that Romo could do it on his own, though. The team has to stay healthy in its current incarnation and we can't afford huge negative plays on ST or defense that give close games away. That said, I really do think this team would have won just about every game in even this bad stretch with Romo under center. The idea of everybody playing at a similar level isn't really all that unheard of. The problem is, we've got two very good teams still on the schedule on top of the various other close games we always have. And, as you say, there are three teams ahead of us who also have to lose since we don't control our own destiny right now.

You did say "You think Romo and the Boys can't go 6-1? I don't mean do you think he will do it. Do you think he *can't?*" so you are putting a lot of it on Romo to carry the team and there will be a lot on him because the Cowboys are 0-6 without him. When you lose 6 straight games without your starting QB that tells me they don't have a real solid team around them and the coaching isn't very good. Even as bad as the Colts OL is they've been able to win a couple of games with a 40 year old Matt Hasselbeck. Good "solid" teams usually can stay afloat a few games without their starting QB there's been teams go on to win SB's after losing their starting QB during the season but the Cowboys can't even win a game without Romo. They don't have the defense or coaching it takes to overcome the loss of Romo.

Even with Romo the Cowboys haven't had the coaching or defense to get very far. Romo had a 102.5 passer rating in 2011 and it only led to 8 wins that tells you what kind of a teams he's been stuck on. You talk about low probably stuff happening in the NFL every year but at 2-6 the Cowboys are facing the lowest probability ever of making the playoffs which is why no team has ever rebounded from 2-6 to make the playoffs. When you're having to rely on every team in your division to lose games while you're having to win a lot of games on the arm of your QB that puts you in a very difficult position especially when you have a defense that can't make critical stops in the 4th quarter. Three times the Cowboys held 14 point leads on Atlanta and the defense kept giving it right back. Had Romo not gone down it's very possible the Cowboys would have no more than 2 losses and 3 at most even with this defense and a nutless head coach.

However with him coming off an extended layoff due to injury and being without his top 3 backs from last season and a defense that folds like a cheap suit with games on the line he's not going to be able lift the Cowboys out of the grandest of all canyons. We'll win some games with him but it won't be enough. The longest extended period Romo has missed games and returned to play during the season was in 08 when he missed 3 straight games. Although the Cowboys beat Washington in a tight game Romo looked rusty throwing 2 picks and finishing with a passer rating of 72.8. If too much is put on Romo when he returns he will suffer some turnovers it's not going to be perfect with him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You did say "You think Romo and the Boys can't go 6-1? I don't mean do you think he will do it. Do you think he *can't?*" so you are putting a lot of it on Romo to carry the team and there will be a lot on him because the Cowboys are 0-6 without him. When you lose 6 straight games without your starting QB that tells me they don't have a real solid team around them and the coaching isn't very good. Even as bad as the Colts OL is they've been able to win a couple of games with a 40 year old Matt Hasselbeck. Good "solid" teams usually can stay afloat a few games without their starting QB there's been teams go on to win SB's after losing their starting QB during the season but the Cowboys can't even win a game without Romo. They don't have the defense or coaching it takes to overcome the loss of Romo.

Even with Romo the Cowboys haven't had the coaching or defense to get very far. Romo had a 102.5 passer rating in 2011 and it only led to 8 wins that tells you what kind of a teams he's been stuck on. You talk about low probably stuff happening in the NFL every year but at 2-6 the Cowboys are facing the lowest probability ever of making the playoffs which is why no team has ever rebounded from 2-6 to make the playoffs. When you're having to rely on every team in your division to lose games while you're having to win a lot of games on the arm of your QB that puts you in a very difficult position especially when you have a defense that can't make critical stops in the 4th quarter. Three times the Cowboys held 14 point leads on Atlanta and the defense kept giving it right back. Had Romo not gone down it's very possible the Cowboys would have no more than 2 losses and 3 at most even with this defense and a nutless head coach.

However with him coming off an extended layoff due to injury and being without his top 3 backs from last season and a defense that folds like a cheap suit with games on the line he's not going to be able lift the Cowboys out of the grandest of all canyons. We'll win some games with him but it won't be enough. The longest extended period Romo has missed games and returned to play during the season was in 08 when he missed 3 straight games. Although the Cowboys beat Washington in a tight game Romo looked rusty throwing 2 picks and finishing with a passer rating of 72.8. If too much is put on Romo when he returns he will suffer some turnovers it's not going to be perfect with him.

The part you bolded was the part where I said 'Romo and the rest of the team.' I went back to 'he' because he's the only new piece that's returning, obviously.

But, obviously, a ton of it's going to be on Romo. Because of the position he plays where the touches the ball on every offensive play, and because he's one of the 2-3 best QBs doing it right now. So he's simultaneously an upgrade at the most important position on the field and our position of greatest offensive weakness right now. That's a huge impact.

The rest of the stuff you're saying here, I've taken care to reference myself, so since we don't disagree, there's no need to hash it out. You're wrong about the coach. The defense has had it's issues, for sure. They were even worse the first two weeks and we still went 2-0. Again, just because it's not very likely doesn't mean it's not possible.

We'll see how rusty he is. I'd have to go back and look at the '08 game to know if that was a factor or not. At least he's been back in practice and first throwing the ball and, now, taking reps for a couple weeks here. And his first game back is a very winnable game.

black label

Reaction score
tumblr_md1p1fYyvh1qgytrco1_500.gif

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The part you bolded was the part where I said 'Romo and the rest of the team.' I went back to 'he' because he's the only new piece that's returning, obviously.

But, obviously, a ton of it's going to be on Romo. Because of the position he plays where the touches the ball on every offensive play, and because he's one of the 2-3 best QBs doing it right now. So he's simultaneously an upgrade at the most important position on the field and our position of greatest offensive weakness right now. That's a huge impact.

The rest of the stuff you're saying here, I've taken care to reference myself, so since we don't disagree, there's no need to hash it out. You're wrong about the coach. The defense has had it's issues, for sure. They were even worse the first two weeks and we still went 2-0. Again, just because it's not very likely doesn't mean it's not possible.

We'll see how rusty he is. I'd have to go back and look at the '08 game to know if that was a factor or not. At least he's been back in practice and first throwing the ball and, now, taking reps for a couple weeks here. And his first game back is a very winnable game.

It's your opinion I'm wrong about the coach but he's made countless poor decisions, plays not to lose and has only had one winning season in the 5 years he's been the HC. As for the defense don't know how you can say they were worse the first 2 weeks when they had 3 of their 4 turnovers this season vs Philly and held their offense in check the entire game. Philly only had 7 yards rushing in that game that was the best defensive performance we've had all season. We've covered this enough it isn't going to change our views let's see how the second half of the season plays out.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Garrett will get a pass this season due to all the injuries including to Romo but he'll be on the hot seat next season.

Big D

Reaction score

And it's also very likely he could go down again after all it will be against suh and co. Do you think they don't know that he's one hit away from retirement like we do?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And it's also very likely he could go down again after all it will be against suh and co. Do you think they don't know that he's one hit away from retirement like we do?

I don't think he is one hit away from retirement, but, if he goes down, the season's going to go down with him. I"m not guaranteeing anybody necessarily stays healthy.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Silly analogies trying to compare what's going on with last year. We weren't 2-6 last year at this point.

The Eagles aren't a great team but they likely, given where they are now, an 8 or 9 win team unless we get help.

No "we" weren't. But at 8-4 we had the majority considering the Eagles shoo ins and Dallas dead in the water. Lots of people went right back to the well before this season. It's a pretty apt comparison because it's basically guaranteed to happen.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The patriots will beat both the eagles and Giants!! I saw a poster saying he could see the Giants upset the patriots!!! Are you serious???? Y'all love hyping up other teams and ignoring their flaws while magnifying our own. Just wow

Alweezy

Reaction score
Maybe look at what they have to do to get to 9-7 before making lame statements? Both havethe Patriots left. 1 loss each. That means the Giants have to go 4-2 outside of the Patriots and Eagles 5-2 outside of the Patriots. They also both play each other which is another guaranteed loss for one of them. What makes you think either of them are going to pull that off? 8-8 wins this division for somebody, but just keep throwing out your blanket statement without looking at facts if thats what serves your purpose.

I get your point, but I don't like the logic to this. How are we giving teams automatic losses to elite teams, and in the same breath assuming we will run the table despite obstacles such as Carolina and Green Bay at Lambeau on the schedule?

Us playing Carolina basically nullifies the other guy's game vs. New England. We're gonna need help elsewhere beyond the Patriots.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
As long as we out score the opposition we are golden...;)

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I get your point, but I don't like the logic to this. How are we giving teams automatic losses to elite teams, and in the same breath assuming we will run the table despite obstacles such as Carolina and Green Bay at Lambeau on the schedule?

Us playing Carolina basically nullifies the other guy's game vs. New England. We're gonna need help elsewhere beyond the Patriots.

I definitely didn't say anything about the Cowboys running the table or having to. I said they have 2 more losses to play with and thats it. If you would have read the post he quoted you would have seen that. And since you bring up Carolina, lets not forget the Giants play them still as well. 8-8 is going to be the record for SOMEBODY to win the division.

Last edited:

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I will be back on board when they beat Carolina on Thanksgiving and then Green Bay in Lambeau.

RunDMC

Reaction score
The patriots will beat both the eagles and Giants!! I saw a poster saying he could see the Giants upset the patriots!!! Are you serious???? Y'all love hyping up other teams and ignoring their flaws while magnifying our own. Just wow

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the Giants have beaten them three straight times including two Super Bowl victories.

I don't know just a hunch.

cowboys1981

Reaction score

As inconsistent as our division has been the amount of confidence people have for other teams is ridiculous.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
No "we" weren't. But at 8-4 we had the majority considering the Eagles shoo ins and Dallas dead in the water. Lots of people went right back to the well before this season. It's a pretty apt comparison because it's basically guaranteed to happen.

I remember how this place went to an all time low after the Thanksgiving loss. Chip Kelly was the new coming of Jimmy Johnson.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Maybe it has to do with the fact that the Giants have beaten them three straight times including two Super Bowl victories.

I don't know just a hunch.

Tell me that the joke of the 2015 edition of the Giants look anything like their Superbowl winning versions of themselves with their ferocious pass rush??? Y'all be letting those magical runs blind y'all. These bums having seen the playoffs since 2011 and have had losing records every year since, but of course I'm still waiting on the Giants to "get hot like they ALWAYS do" myth that gets thrown around here like it's gospel.

RunDMC

Reaction score
Tell me that the joke of the 2015 edition of the Giants look anything like their Superbowl winning versions of themselves with their ferocious pass rush??? Y'all be letting those magical runs blind y'all. These bums having seen the playoffs since 2011 and have had losing records every year since, but of course I'm still waiting on the Giants to "get hot like they ALWAYS do" myth that gets thrown around here like it's gospel.

I never said that, but you know they're gonna be up for New England and they're at home. Anything can happen. I don't expect the Giants to win, but I wouldn't be surprised either.