CZ POLL If you could change only one, would you change Quarterback, Coach or Ownership?

Which of the three options would you change if you could only make one come true?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am actually a little surprised by the votes so far.

But it is not as easy as it sounds. Jerry is actually a good owner for the most part. His one flaw is that he wants to meddle in the football side and he is not very good at it. We've been through coaches, coordinators and QB and nothing has really changed. The one position we have not changed is the one Jerry occupies. Like I said, he is a good owner, just a bad everything else.

I wonder if new ownership came in and hired gave McClay the GM spot with no limitations and no interference what McClay would do. Would he fire McCarthy? Would he draft different players? Would he sign free agents?
We will never know because Jerry is not removing himself from this team. Only God can remove Jerry from the Dallas Cowboys operations.

nobody

Reaction score
I am actually a little surprised by the votes so far.

But it is not as easy as it sounds. Jerry is actually a good owner for the most part. His one flaw is that he wants to meddle in the football side and he is not very good at it. We've been through coaches, coordinators and QB and nothing has really changed. The one position we have not changed is the one Jerry occupies. Like I said, he is a good owner, just a bad everything else.

I wonder if new ownership came in and hired gave McClay the GM spot with no limitations and no interference what McClay would do. Would he fire McCarthy? Would he draft different players? Would he sign free agents?
We will never know because Jerry is not removing himself from this team. Only God can remove Jerry from the Dallas Cowboys operations.
he can't be a good owner if he's the own holding the team back by meddling. He won't fire the incompetent GM. By simple math, he's not a good owner then.

Creeper

Reaction score
he can't be a good owner if he's the own holding the team back by meddling. He won't fire the incompetent GM. By simple math, he's not a good owner then.
I don't disagree but I am separating his football responsibilities from ownership responsibility. He does a great job of hyping the Cowboys, the stadium and all that stuff. As a GM he suck. I realize as an owner he meddles because he is the owner, but assume for a second Jerry stopped meddling, how would he be as an owner? Or, what if he meddles but is really good at it? (He's not but assume he is). I actually voted to remove Jerry as owner, but we have had bad owners before and it hurt the team very badly.

nobody

Reaction score
I don't disagree but I am separating his football responsibilities from ownership responsibility. He does a great job of hyping the Cowboys, the stadium and all that stuff. As a GM he suck. I realize as an owner he meddles because he is the owner, but assume for a second Jerry stopped meddling, how would he be as an owner? Or, what if he meddles but is really good at it? (He's not but assume he is). I actually voted to remove Jerry as owner, but we have had bad owners before and it hurt the team very badly.
The thing is, you can't separate the responsibilities because it's the owner's job to hire/fire the GM. Our GM has been putred for going on 30 years and the owner won't lift a finger to fire him and instill accountability in this organization. That it's the same person is irrelevant. The owner isn't doing his job to field the best talent to manage the team. Sure, other aspects of the job as owner he's doing well, but the main one he's terrible at, so by definition he can't be a good owner.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
This is a tough question, getting rid of Jerry probably just means Stephen is calling most of the shots and that's kind of scary in itself.

For McCarthy I'm not sold he's the guy to get them over the hump, but at the end of the day there are things that have gone right, players usually show up to play for him, he's had 3 straight 12 win seasons. I would probably take Harbaugh over him

WIth Dak, I like him I think he's a good QB, but he's had 5 different opportunities in the playoffs, 3 offensive coordinators, and the results have been the same. I do think the coaches failed Dak with game planning this year, but the greatest QBs find ways to overcome it and keep their teams in the games. Paying him 60 million a year for what he's delivered in the playoffs just seems crazy. I don't know what would happen with a new QB at the helm, maybe we're a 9-10 win team this year with an average QB, but obviously in future years it allows you to invest in other positions.

zeke21

Reaction score
100% I'd get rid of Jerry but my first thought was he wouldn't sell the team just move on to Stephen.. who I think is even worse than Jerry.

So I went Dak. But really all three equally deserving.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Id switch out Jerry for the sheer reason I like him the least personally out of the 3.

Although we could end up with a David Tepper-like owner and that’d be objectively worse.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Strangely, I think getting rid of Dak may be the only thing that gives next years regular season any real meaning for anyone to get excited about.

Right now there is nothing the Cowboys could do that would make anyone believe in them going into the Playoffs.
If you want the team to go deep into the playoffs, they have to make the playoffs first. This team will not make the playoffs without Dak. God bless your heart for appointing yourself the speaker for "anyone" but I'll pass on you speaking for me. Dak has to do better in the playoffs but we won't even get there without him.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Getting rid of Dak before 2024 starts? No chance. Be happy if they get rid of him after 2024. That’s our only prayer
Coach doesn't matter. McCarthy is in a No Win Situation when it comes to the Playoffs.
Dak, for whatever reason, wilts in the Playoffs. I have no reason to believe that this will ever change. It's mental. The great GM has signed the Cowboys QB with a No Trade Contract.
Jerry is the Evil Genius. The Empire, the cash cow is not broken.

The Jonses: "If the Cash Cow is not broken, don't fix it."

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Is this like that "Marry, F, Kill" game?

I'd change ownership.

Ownership is the root cause....and we can't even hope for reprieve once Jerruh croaks.... because just like an English Monarchy, Jerruh's son, the Idiot Fredo, will take the crown once he dies despite not being fit to manage a Burger King.
I meant to add...that I think MM and Dak need to go.

It's just that if either one of those was the choice to go...but Jerruh stayed, you'd end up with a new QB or Coach but the snake oil, money and attention before championships culture would remain, and the results would be the same.

U get a REAL owner in here...it has a trickle down effect, and a real GM would be hired, and then the coach, and then the QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.