CZ POLL If you could change only one, would you change Quarterback, Coach or Ownership?

Which of the three options would you change if you could only make one come true?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I am actually a little surprised by the votes so far.

But it is not as easy as it sounds. Jerry is actually a good owner for the most part. His one flaw is that he wants to meddle in the football side and he is not very good at it. We've been through coaches, coordinators and QB and nothing has really changed. The one position we have not changed is the one Jerry occupies. Like I said, he is a good owner, just a bad everything else.

I wonder if new ownership came in and hired gave McClay the GM spot with no limitations and no interference what McClay would do. Would he fire McCarthy? Would he draft different players? Would he sign free agents?
We will never know because Jerry is not removing himself from this team. Only God can remove Jerry from the Dallas Cowboys operations.
An important part of being an owner is delegating responsibilities to the best person possible. I'm sure there's someone in charge of the cheerleading squad, but most of us don't even know who that is, but I'd bet Jerry doesn't meddle in that, and he probably doesn't meddle with the job of whoever oversees the concession stands, the merch stores, etc. Jerry can refrain from meddling when he wants to, but he just can't help but meddle with the coaching. And the problem is, he's NOT the best person for that job. So, yeah, Jerry has done a great job with some things. The stadium is one of the most amazing in all of sports. The Cowboys brand sells well worldwide, thanks to Jerry. But his Achilles heel is his ego with regards to football matters. He wants the credit for those things, and he'll try anything other than taking himself out of the picture, and that has hamstrung this team. The irony is, if Jerry did step back and then hired the best GM possible, and a coach who knows his stuff and can work with him, with clearly defined boundaries,and then the Cowboys won a Super Bowl, Jerry would get a ton of credit. He would get credit for building the most recognizable brand in sports and then having the wisdom to hire the best people to run the football side of it. In fact, when the team won those Super Bowls with Jimmy, Jerry DID get credit for the smart decisions he made to help the team get there, especially in hiring Jimmy Johnson. Yet, somehow he felt slighted by Jimmy. Did he feel that way because Jimmy didn't want anyone but players and coaches in the locker room? Was it that important to him to show their locker room to a Middle Eastern prince? If he had hired a GM who performed in the job like Jerry has, Jerry would have fired him decades ago. But when the evidence shows that his not the right guy to be the GM, he just can't see it. His ego is in the way.

GINeric

Reaction score
The correct answer is Jerry Jones.

I don't have confidence in Dak, and I'm skeptical about McCarthy. But holy crap, Jerry Jones is clearly the main problem.

I don't know how anyone can argue that.

Only the intelligent people would pick Jerry Jones. The much less intelligent would pick a coach or a player.

Then again, there are those super dumb people who have blamed one player for 28 years of the lack of playoff success, even though the player haven't been here for 28 years....

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
Strangely, I think getting rid of Dak may be the only thing that gives next years regular season any real meaning for anyone to get excited about.

Right now there is nothing the Cowboys could do that would make anyone believe in them going into the Playoffs.
Yea to people who want to tank sure.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
An important part of being an owner is delegating responsibilities to the best person possible. I'm sure there's someone in charge of the cheerleading squad, but most of us don't even know who that is, but I'd bet Jerry doesn't meddle in that, and he probably doesn't meddle with the job of whoever oversees the concession stands, the merch stores, etc. Jerry can refrain from meddling when he wants to, but he just can't help but meddle with the coaching. And the problem is, he's NOT the best person for that job. So, yeah, Jerry has done a great job with some things. The stadium is one of the most amazing in all of sports. The Cowboys brand sells well worldwide, thanks to Jerry. But his Achilles heel is his ego with regards to football matters. He wants the credit for those things, and he'll try anything other than taking himself out of the picture, and that has hamstrung this team. The irony is, if Jerry did step back and then hired the best GM possible, and a coach who knows his stuff and can work with him, with clearly defined boundaries,and then the Cowboys won a Super Bowl, Jerry would get a ton of credit. He would get credit for building the most recognizable brand in sports and then having the wisdom to hire the best people to run the football side of it. In fact, when the team won those Super Bowls with Jimmy, Jerry DID get credit for the smart decisions he made to help the team get there, especially in hiring Jimmy Johnson. Yet, somehow he felt slighted by Jimmy. Did he feel that way because Jimmy didn't want anyone but players and coaches in the locker room? Was it that important to him to show their locker room to a Middle Eastern prince? If he had hired a GM who performed in the job like Jerry has, Jerry would have fired him decades ago. But when the evidence shows that his not the right guy to be the GM, he just can't see it. His ego is in the way.
This I agree with. Jerry and his ego might be the thing because he wants all the credit in a win not anyone else. Jimmy took that from him and that's why he was gone.

plymkr

Reaction score
Jerry jones is who’d I replace and it’s not even close. Worst owner in professional football. Narcissist, nepotistic and just a total embarrassment to the legacy of the Dallas Cowboys.

jgboys1

Reaction score
That would apply to the whole team. Thus until you fix this. You can holler Dak until the cows come home. Even if Dak had put up 40. We still would have lost......You serious????? Blaming one guy for this mess of last Sunday :facepalm: :laugh:You weren't saying this before the Packers game....Our defense played like this in DC we would have lost the last season game....If you counting on Dak...Dak or bust in any game?? Good luck with that and probably 28 other q.b's in the league.
It’s not Dak or bust, it’s Dak, can you make a play against a decent team when we need you and not look like the most confused person in the stadium!
That’s all I ask, from our “Franchise QB”!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
LOL @ the usual "Dak Must Be Benched" Boys going for the QB first in the vote. Dedicated to the end.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very good post but you said, "But when the evidence shows that his not the right guy to be the GM, he just can't see it. His ego is in the way." He does see it. He admitted decades ago he could fire himself for his job performance. That was a vocalized, intentionally publicized (wanting empathy) self-acknowledgment.

Many families have an Uncle Jerry, someone who makes mistakes but tries to correct them because their ego is not that big. Most people have normal sized egos.

Jerry Jones is not someone's Uncle Jerry. His ego is huge. It belongs to a narcissist.

Status
Not open for further replies.