If you had to make tough call and only keep 3 of 4, who walk, Coop, Dak, Zeke, DLaw?

Swagger

Reaction score
I would keep Byron Jones and make him a priority.

A lot of people seem to focus on his lack of interceptions but you have to think that part of the reason is that fewer QB's throw his way because he was pretty much a shut down cornerback last season. Pro Bowl and Second Team All Pro selections, delightful to have a high quality piece in our Secondary which has continually got torched in previous seasons during the play offs.

Of those four in the list for me it would be Prescott because I think he's the easiest to replace and given the way it is these days with the salary cap, teams are better off trying to build a roster to a win Superbowl with a good QB on a rookie deal.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Ask Demarco Murray about those 34 passing TDs also.

Murray had the benefit of having a QB defenses actually feared.

In the Romo years, the draw play worked to perfection because team's were more worried about getting beat by the pass.

We haven't ran the draw play since Dak took over..
No one feared Romo. Stop it.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
You have no point. That’s usually what you do here. Make everything about how bad Dak is. Fine. Bring a point to the table and let’s debate. We already know how you feel about him. Add something new.
Still lying as always.

You can't point to win % (which is not a QB stat) and ignore conference championship appearances. You can't have it both ways.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What he did two years ago is meaningless.

He had more use than most TBs. TBs breakdown and get hurt more than any position.

I am not paying him 8 figures a year 6 years from now. I doubt he’ll be the same back.
I wasn't thinking of a 6 year deal. but the next 4 years. yes, most TB breakdown by the time their 3rd contract rolls around. so far so good for Zeke.

my point in regards to his performance from 2 years ago, was with respect to a poster that said, its the OL, not zeke. My response was that he was great 2 years ago, with a great OL and this year with an average to below average OL, he was great again.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Everyone here said the O line was bad. PFF and other professional analysts say otherwise. Last time I saw the rankings, which was a cfew weeks before the end of the regular season IIRC, they were top 10 overall.

No one said Zeke isn’t special but out of the players mentioned he would make the most sense to let walk. BTW, what happened to Zeke against Tenn, Washington, Carolina, Houston and the Rams? Why is it anytime he has a good game it’s because he’s that awesome but when he has a bad game it’s because of the O line?

Point being, RB’s are much more expendable for several reasons and should be treated as such. I’m not saying we would replace Zeke but if we keep the O line above average then we should be able to find a RB that is more than serviceable.
wait, I am confused, when it comes to Dak arguments, all Dak supporters point to the OL as being a problem and what needs to get fixed. now you are saying, this was a top 10 offensive line..... not sure if you are Dak fan, but if this is a top 10 line, what about Dak's performance.

and a great player, isn't great every game. they are great most games. Brady has had average games. Manning has had average games. Brees has had average games. they all do. its the NFL. so citing 4 or 5 games as to what happened to Zeke, doesn't mean he is not a great player.

What I do know, is that this year alone, when Zeke had over 100 yards total, we were 10-1, when he didn't we were 1-6. the passing game stats didn't matter. what we do know is that without zeke we were 3-3 last year and struggled mightily. Unless we know the plan on how to replace him, then we shouldn't just assume he is a RB and easily replaced.

if anything, I would venture to say, we let D Lawrence walk, as he is top 10 in pass rush, but not dominant and he disappears too often to get a 6 year, 6 figure salary. we can look for one or two year options in vets that are available and get similar production. We could also move on from Dak and not handicap the salary cap, and find a 1 or 2 year option and look for the next franchise QB, specially since Dak needs a lot of support to succeed and if he takes up too much of the cap, then we won't be able to sign the support he needs to succeed.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You’re a idiot. I said it’s easier to find a running back than it is a quarterback. The concept isn’t even hard but you’ve managed to stumble over yourself once again.
find a RB then. who? that would bring that level of eliteness to the table.....

aria

Reaction score
wait, I am confused, when it comes to Dak arguments, all Dak supporters point to the OL as being a problem and what needs to get fixed. now you are saying, this was a top 10 offensive line..... not sure if you are Dak fan, but if this is a top 10 line, what about Dak's performance.

and a great player, isn't great every game. they are great most games. Brady has had average games. Manning has had average games. Brees has had average games. they all do. its the NFL. so citing 4 or 5 games as to what happened to Zeke, doesn't mean he is not a great player.

What I do know, is that this year alone, when Zeke had over 100 yards total, we were 10-1, when he didn't we were 1-6. the passing game stats didn't matter. what we do know is that without zeke we were 3-3 last year and struggled mightily. Unless we know the plan on how to replace him, then we shouldn't just assume he is a RB and easily replaced.

if anything, I would venture to say, we let D Lawrence walk, as he is top 10 in pass rush, but not dominant and he disappears too often to get a 6 year, 6 figure salary. we can look for one or two year options in vets that are available and get similar production. We could also move on from Dak and not handicap the salary cap, and find a 1 or 2 year option and look for the next franchise QB, specially since Dak needs a lot of support to succeed and if he takes up too much of the cap, then we won't be able to sign the support he needs to succeed.
I’m neutral on Dak as of now but I don’t think he deserves the criticism he’s getting.

You’re right, great players aren’t great every game but I find it funny that people blame Zeke’s bad games on the O line but make no mention of the O line when he has good games. They go hand in hand. They also constantly reference his rushing titles but fail to mention he carried the ball more than any other RB and led the league in fumbles by a wide margin. A lot of fans also complain we’re using Zeke too much but when he doesn’t get the ball enough they blame coaching and point out the same 100+ yard stat relevant to W’s as you did above. There seems to be a great deal of confusion and/or disagreement amongst fans how to use him.

Zeke’s losses during the suspension last year can be blamed on many things and even if he wasn’t suspended there’s no guarantee our record would have been any better. Plus, if we had another starting caliber RB (instead of Zeke) and stuck to the same game plan I don’t think it would have been that much different if it was Zeke or said RB but no one knows for sure obviously.

I don’t think Dak is the best QB out there but I definitely don’t think itmwoukd be smart to move on from him at this point unless his salary demands are outrageous. Dlaw was my runner up to let walk due to the reasons you stated but I still think edge rushers are harder to find, more expensive and have the more potential to grow as a player whereas RB’s typically decline after a few years (with a couple exceptions) and are more injury prone. We’ve been fortunate with Zeke injury wise but I fear it’s only a matter of when, not if.

But yeah, Dlaws injury history is concerning which is why I wouldn’t give him more than 3-4 years max if he’d take it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I’m neutral on Dak as of now but I don’t think he deserves the criticism he’s getting.

You’re right, great players aren’t great every game but I find it funny that people blame Zeke’s bad games on the O line but make no mention of the O line when he has good games. They go hand in hand. They also constantly reference his rushing titles but fail to mention he carried the ball more than any other RB and led the league in fumbles by a wide margin. A lot of fans also complain we’re using Zeke too much but when he doesn’t get the ball enough they blame coaching and point out the same 100+ yard stat relevant to W’s as you did above. There seems to be a great deal of confusion and/or disagreement amongst fans how to use him.

Zeke’s losses during the suspension last year can be blamed on many things and even if he wasn’t suspended there’s no guarantee our record would have been any better. Plus, if we had another starting caliber RB (instead of Zeke) and stuck to the same game plan I don’t think it would have been that much different if it was Zeke or said RB but no one knows for sure obviously.

I don’t think Dak is the best QB out there but I definitely don’t think itmwoukd be smart to move on from him at this point unless his salary demands are outrageous. Dlaw was my runner up to let walk due to the reasons you stated but I still think edge rushers are harder to find, more expensive and have the more potential to grow as a player whereas RB’s typically decline after a few years (with a couple exceptions) and are more injury prone. We’ve been fortunate with Zeke injury wise but I fear it’s only a matter of when, not if.

But yeah, Dlaws injury history is concerning which is why I wouldn’t give him more than 3-4 years max if he’d take it.
I don't disagree with your assessment. I have criticized Dak in the past, but more specifically in areas that he needs to improve to get to the next level. some are correctable, and some may not be. He is at this point middle of the pack. he does somethings well and doesn't do so well in other areas. so how much do you invest in him? what are the other available options? what do they cost? so questions to be answered.

I do agree that some games the OL wasn't so great. for Dak or for Zeke. its a team sport, but what they need with Zeke is a semi-decent game and he can do the rest as he has shown. in regards to coaches and carries, I think we have issues iinside the 10 that we haven't figured out, schemed or fixed that needs to be addressed. just running zeke won't work.

and in regards to losses during suspension, although we could attribute it to many things, while he played prior to suspension and the distractions was an offense that was similar to 2016. during and post suspension that offense couldn't click. so its a logical deduction based on pre, during and post suspension.

with that said, there are many ways to build a superbowl team. NE did it, with a slot WR, no outside WRs and a hobbled TE and a good OL and great QB play. they invested a lot on the defensive side, specially on DL and they did draft a RB in the first round last year. GB did it with a depp WR group, great QB and someone at RB. good front 7. Atlanta did it with offense and some defensive scheming, etc....its how you invest your money and the portfolio of players you have available.

I am just worried that paying Dak too much and I agree with you there, would hobble us getting the support he needs to succeed as he defintley needs the support.

yes, agreed that DLaw injuries are concerning. he hasn't been as consistent as I like to see for him to get a crazy contract. he seems to collect his stats in a 8 to 9 games span and then disappear, specially towards the end of the year when we need him most. but what's the alternative? I think there are some one or two year options out there.

aria

Reaction score
I don't disagree with your assessment. I have criticized Dak in the past, but more specifically in areas that he needs to improve to get to the next level. some are correctable, and some may not be. He is at this point middle of the pack. he does somethings well and doesn't do so well in other areas. so how much do you invest in him? what are the other available options? what do they cost? so questions to be answered.

I do agree that some games the OL wasn't so great. for Dak or for Zeke. its a team sport, but what they need with Zeke is a semi-decent game and he can do the rest as he has shown. in regards to coaches and carries, I think we have issues iinside the 10 that we haven't figured out, schemed or fixed that needs to be addressed. just running zeke won't work.

and in regards to losses during suspension, although we could attribute it to many things, while he played prior to suspension and the distractions was an offense that was similar to 2016. during and post suspension that offense couldn't click. so its a logical deduction based on pre, during and post suspension.

with that said, there are many ways to build a superbowl team. NE did it, with a slot WR, no outside WRs and a hobbled TE and a good OL and great QB play. they invested a lot on the defensive side, specially on DL and they did draft a RB in the first round last year. GB did it with a depp WR group, great QB and someone at RB. good front 7. Atlanta did it with offense and some defensive scheming, etc....its how you invest your money and the portfolio of players you have available.

I am just worried that paying Dak too much and I agree with you there, would hobble us getting the support he needs to succeed as he defintley needs the support.

yes, agreed that DLaw injuries are concerning. he hasn't been as consistent as I like to see for him to get a crazy contract. he seems to collect his stats in a 8 to 9 games span and then disappear, specially towards the end of the year when we need him most. but what's the alternative? I think there are some one or two year options out there.
No argument there, well said!