Iggles continue to add help

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
The eagles problem isn’t talent. They had talent last year and fell completely apart at the end. I don’t know what it is but it’s something a Fringe player ain’t fixing
They fell apart because they had no talent in the back 7. The offense couldn't score every possession, and the defense couldn't stop opposing teams on defense. They were the worst team in football after the Buffalo game that they won.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
No! They’ve tried the approach you’re advocating and it failed miserably. It’s repeatedly failed miserably across the league. It failed miserably in Philly last year.
Shrilly screaming and vigorously stomping your wittle foot doesn’t change the reality it will most assuredly fail again!
Go ahead and keep justifying a failed approach.

Flamma

Reaction score
The check comes due years from now. then they pay the bill over a year or two, then rebuild. They also get rewarded with a couple top of the draft picks. Our brain trust are fools by comparison.
This is how I see teams doing it when they push a lot of money forward to attempt to win now. Race to the top, crash and burn, quickly recover, get a good draft pick. We go a steady 65-75 mph.

superonyx

Reaction score
And the Rams got a Super Bowl out of it, tbh, isn’t that what the point of all this is?
If you can guarantee a SB for putting yourself in years of franchise crippling dept then sure.
Problem is you can't. For teams that have done the same most didn't get the SB and instead paid the price for the debt.

The eagles are not guaranteed to win a SB now. They are guaranteed future cap problems though.

tm1119

Reaction score
That or the Eagles are kicking the can down the road and the check will come due soon. Remember the Rams did that.. A few years later they lost everyone.
The Rams had 1 bad year and were in the playoffs getting bounced in their 1st game just like the Cowboys. But they have a ring and the Cowboys can’t get out of the 2nd round in 30 years.

Gee, I wonder what roster building strategy is better?

superonyx

Reaction score
What did they lose? They had one bad year and two SB appearances along with one win. They had two of the largest dead cap hits in NFL history, Gurley & Goff.
Jerry never wants to try and win. He does not want to spend money he is a cheap owner, he always has been.
Just look at his history, he made Emmit hold out after winning a SB. Remember 1993, he missed the first two games and still won league MVP & SB MVP.

We are always in the bottom of the league in cash spending. He will pay his own guys every few years, .
If you want to extend Lamb and Micha this might not be a bad idea as they have some extra years on their contract, do a big extension and you will have some flexibility.
Walking away from Dak is best in my opinion, but Jerry has no b&&&S.
from 2021. It hasn't improved much but they have loss a lot of players they purchased and traded for.

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/la-rams-comfortable-operating-in-salary-cap-jail

superonyx

Reaction score
This is notnwhat the Rams did.

Rams mortgaged their future draft, etc. Eagles always have multiple day1 and day 2 picks. Eagles have been doing this a decade and have plenty of money. Apples and oranges to Rams.

That said, what the Rams did worked too. They got a SB. After a quarter century of failure, wouldn't you take a couple lean years to win a SB? Or even go to won?
Or at LEAST to a NFC CG?
If you can guarantee one. But we know we can't.
So we go out and overpay for a bunch of named aging free agents, don't win the SB and then watch as cornerstone players leave.
The rams did mortgage their future draft for sure. For higher priced players so that also mortgaged their future salary cap.

The problem I see us having is waiting to long to lock up players Like Dak, CD, and Micah. Waiting is only making it more expensive.
So choose early.... Extend or trade.... Don't sit and let it get more expensive.

superonyx

Reaction score
The Rams had 1 bad year and were in the playoffs getting bounced in their 1st game just like the Cowboys. But they have a ring and the Cowboys can’t get out of the 2nd round in 30 years.

Gee, I wonder what roster building strategy is better?
They are not real contenders and wont be for a long time. Regardless of how you spin it.

The reality is a HC like S McVey and a franchise QB will always keep you in playoff contention. That doesn't mean they are going to go any further. If you know any Rams fans ask them how they feel about the upcoming season. They are not excited.

Flamma

Reaction score
What did they lose? They had one bad year and two SB appearances along with one win. They had two of the largest dead cap hits in NFL history, Gurley & Goff.
Jerry never wants to try and win. He does not want to spend money he is a cheap owner, he always has been.
Just look at his history, he made Emmit hold out after winning a SB. Remember 1993, he missed the first two games and still won league MVP & SB MVP.

We are always in the bottom of the league in cash spending. He will pay his own guys every few years, .
If you want to extend Lamb and Micha this might not be a bad idea as they have some extra years on their contract, do a big extension and you will have some flexibility.
Walking away from Dak is best in my opinion, but Jerry has no b&&&S.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'm nitpicking here, but Emmitt didn't hold out. Emmitt literally did not have a contract. They couldn't come to terms. It's actually a worse situation than a holdout. Emmitt couldn't play if he wanted to. He had no contract. Jerry said, and I am paraphrasing, the league is moving away from these types of contracts. Referring to the salary cap. So yeah, cheap. Jerry was also a big proponent of the hard cap, the cap he doesn't manage well.

If they don't intend on keeping Dak after this year, there is zero reason to pay Lamb. Trade him for a first +. Move up in the draft for a QB.

Flamma

Reaction score
This is notnwhat the Rams did.

Rams mortgaged their future draft, etc. Eagles always have multiple day1 and day 2 picks. Eagles have been doing this a decade and have plenty of money. Apples and oranges to Rams.

That said, what the Rams did worked too. They got a SB. After a quarter century of failure, wouldn't you take a couple lean years to win a SB? Or even go to won?
Or at LEAST to a NFC CG?
This is an excellent take. It shows the difference between the Rams and Eagles approach. The Rams are a team that uses every resource, give up everything to stack the team to win immediately. The Eagles approach is just as aggressive but don't put all of their chips up front. They just spend more up front, push money forward to acquire the same talent. Even though both teams will pay in the future, at least the Eagles don't hurt their future draft.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Lol!
They just resigned their team cancer in a desperate hope that he’ll stop being a cancer from making him the league’s highest paid WR. Two seasons after he was already given a contract that made him the highest paid WR. Let’s see how that works out eh!
Oh, and the other one, the #2 WR on the team was given an average of 30m!
But hey, if you think a team should be run like a child with instant gratification issues, go worship the eagles!
How much of a team cancer do you think the guy is if they just resigned him? The cancer on their team is their HC by the way. The simple fact that Cowboys homers don't want to see is that every team in the NFL has improved itself in the off-season and we have not. Will all these moves the Iggles have made pay off in the end? The simple fact is that they see needs and they go out to try to find them. The reality of being a Cowboys fan for as long as I have is that we have had these same needs for 30 years and have done nothing about it. Oh wait, apologies, we are doing something about it. No RB1, nor WR2, questions at OL, a QB1 nobody wants here, and guys on D coming off of not playing last year who will be counted on to step up. While I go worship the Iggles you should go find a dose of reality at your local pharmacy

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
If you can guarantee a SB for putting yourself in years of franchise crippling dept then sure.
Problem is you can't. For teams that have done the same most didn't get the SB and instead paid the price for the debt.

The eagles are not guaranteed to win a SB now. They are guaranteed future cap problems though.
I've been hearing for 15 to 20 years how cap hell is coming and imminent for the Eagles but it never seems to happen.
Also, Howie tied a record for the most trades in one draft and picked up and extra 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th for next years draft to add a bunch of low priced potential and the flexibility to move up in the draft.

Last edited:

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
I'm not so sure I would call the Rams rebuilt. Any team with a franchise QB will contend for a playoff spot. Thats them. They are no powerhouse.
I'm not saying they are a powerhouse. But they quickly became a playoff team again while many here predicted they would be in football Siberia for years

rambo2

Reaction score
Well that's nonsense as well. A 12-5 playoff team doesn't suck.
That's right. The deal is you could see that the Eagles had the potential to collapse by mid-season and they did. They could have easily lost more games than they did.