Informal Poll Is Garrett a better Head Coach than Wade?

Gaede

Reaction score
5Stars;5096230 said:
And no coach can win unless they have the right players to execute their game plans.

Exactly. And Wade clearly had the right players to win two division titles and a playoff game.

Or was that success attributable to Garrett? He who shall not be blamed. It's the players fault we can't make the playoffs. But Garrett is so good at picking players. Even though they are stupid and don't know their routes. But he's still a better head coach than Wade. Even though Wade won more and picked the players that he won with. But Wade didn't have the right players. Therefore, he's worse than Garrett.

Confusing? Yes, because saying Garrett is better than Wade makes literally no sense.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ABQCOWBOY;5096232 said:
Number 1 is always winning.

As to the building of teams, Garrett has signed Romo to a 100 Million plus deal and has signed Spencer to two consecutive Franchise Tag deals. He's also signed Austin and he also signed Carr.

Now, having said all of this, I don't really think that Garrett should be saddled with all of this because at the end of the day, Jerry is the GM and he is responsible for signings. Of course, that also means that Wade is also not responsible for those things because it was still Jerry who was the GM while Wade was head coach.

I know that was a mistake...

:D

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I think it's a wash right now but so far Wade has been more successful. Time will tell with Garrett.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gaede;5096236 said:
Exactly. And Wade clearly had the right players to win two division titles and a playoff game.

Or was that success attributable to Garrett? He who shall not be blamed. It's the players fault we can't make the playoffs. But Garrett is so good at picking players. But he's a better head coach than Wade. Even though Wade won more and picked the players that he won with.

Confusing? Yes, because saying Garrett is better than Wade makes literally no sense.

I agree...and the reverse can also be said that is Wade better than Garrett? With so many moving parts to a team, again, there is no way that we can say one or the other.

If Garrett wins a SB this year, will he be a better coach than Wade?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I will not slam Wade, he is very fine defensive coach and did some good things as the HC but when he lost the team and they pretty much quit on him there is not much an organization can do but to fire the coach. Having a bad season is one thing losing the players is another.

As for Garrett he has to win period, he is now in his 3rd full season as HC and for him to keep his job he has to get this team winning games.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
PA Cowboy Fan;5096239 said:
I think it's a wash right now but so far Wade has been more successful. Time will tell with Garrett.

Perfect answer....

;)

halcyon

Reaction score
cowboyfan4life2;5096186 said:
Based on what?
1.-Effort given by the players in games.
2.-Drafts (however much influence the head coaches have on such process).
3.- Management of day to day situations (such as dealing with the local press)
4.-Resilience of the team.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doomsday101;5096246 said:
I will not slam Wade, he is very fine defensive coach and did some good things as the HC but when he lost the team and they pretty much quit on him there is not much an organization can do but to fire the coach. Having a bad season is one thing losing the players is another.

As for Garrett he has to win period, he is now in his 3rd full season as HC and for him to keep his job he has to get this team winning games.

Exactly...and when the team quit on Wade, they responded to Garrett for the final games. Then Garrett became the HC and IMO, the rebuilding started.

But, Garrett is on the hot seat right now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
5Stars;5096260 said:
Exactly...and when the team quit on Wade, they responded to Garrett for the final games. Then Garrett became the HC and IMO, the rebuilding started.

No doubt. I think any time a HC is hired you have to give him the time to put in place a team. This is now year 3 as full time HC he has to produce period. I like Garrett I hope he can do the job I hope we do not continue to play musical HC. I don't say that because I love Garrett I say that because I love the Cowboys.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I see a great deal based on things other then wins and losses. That's fine. Everybody sees things differently.

Let me ask this, if we see another 8-8 season or worse this year, will the same criteria still hold as to why Garrett is better?

At what point do the actual wins and losses make a difference or come into play?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
5Stars;5096260 said:

Do you think they responded to Garrett because they liked him more, respected him more or do you think they responded to Garrett because they new that he was not a lame duck HC and that he would have the power to cut guys next season?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096265 said:
I see a great deal based on things other then wins and losses. That's fine. Everybody sees things differently.

Let me ask this, if we see another 8-8 season or worse this year, will the same criteria still hold as to why Garrett is better?

At what point do the actual wins and losses make a difference or come into play?

Agreed. As I said I think any HC hired on any team should be given time to put in place his team but that time does not last forever he has to produce and I think he is on the hot seat to produce this year. I clearly do not see this as SB or bust but I think this team has to show major improvement and be a factor in post season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wade like Garrett started off as an interim head coach and was 9-7 his first full season as a head coach compared to 8-8 for Garrett in his first full season. In his first 2 full seasons as a head coach Wade was 16-16 which is the same record as Garrett after his first 2 full seasons. The difference is that Wade had a winning season during his first 2 full seasons and his team made the playoffs once. In Wades 8 full seasons as a head coach he had 6 winning seasons including two 11 win teams and one 13 win team. In Wades first 4 seasons as a head coach his teams qualified for the playoffs 3 times. In Wades 8 seasons as a head coach his teams made the playoffs 5 times winning one playoff game.

Although Wade aka Stay Puff wasn't a very good head coach he was clearly better than Garrett who's had real issues with game management his first 2 seasons. The team has looked noticeably disorganized under him and didn't show any progress from year one to year two. The jury is still out on Garrett who's a work in progress. In Buffalo Wade accomplished a lot more with a less talented team than Garrett has in Dallas so far. Wade was stuck with an aging Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed both who were nearing the end of their careers and Rob Johnson and Doug Flutie as his QB's.

In Wade's first 3 seasons in Dallas the Cowboys were 33-15 and made the playoffs twice. Wade led the Cowboys to their first playoff victory in 13 years. Up to this point Wade has clearly been a better head coach than Garrett who hasn't had a winning season and who's just been stripped of his play calling duties. It's beyond me how anyone could say Garrett is a better head coach than Wade after what we've seen with the Cowboys under Garrett his first 2 seasons.

Naturally things could change depending on the outcome of the 2013 season but Garrett has a long way to go to accomplish what Wade did as a head coach even though Wade didn't accomplish a whole lot. We can only judge Garrett off of what we've seen the past 2 seasons and let's be honest it hasn't been pretty. Hopefully things will improve this upcoming season or Garrett's tenure as the Cowboys head coach will likely end up being shorter than Wade's.

jnday

Reaction score
Doomsday101;5096084 said:
But it was Garrett with the past connection to Kiffin not Jerry. I'm sure Jerry did want to see changes, why wouldn't he? why would any GM in the league not want change after a poor season?

It was Garrett with a connection to Callahan not Jerry

It is possible that no changes would have taken place if Jerry didn't go on the warpath. I don't know if Garrett has the authority to hire and fire coaches. Campo stuck around until his contract ran out. It was no secret that they wanted to replace him. I am sure Garrett can make suggestions, buy Jerry has made it clear that he calls the shots.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ABQCOWBOY;5096267 said:
Do you think they responded to Garrett because they liked him more, respected him more or do you think they responded to Garrett because they new that he was not a lame duck HC and that he would have the power to cut guys next season?

That is something that I have no answer to. I can only attest to what I saw, and why or how it happened I will never know.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jnday;5096270 said:
It is possible that no changes would have taken place if Jerry didn't go on the warpath. I don't know if Garrett has the authority to hire and fire coaches. Campo stuck around until his contract ran out. It was no secret that they wanted to replace him. I am sure Garrett can make suggestions, buy Jerry has made it clear that he calls the shots.

Anything is possiable, I think it was a group effort I think Jerry does want to give his HC every chance he can. I think it would be pretty crappy of any GM to fire a coach within 1 or 2 years. Yes Jerry was upset? hell yeah he was and the fans were upset.

Jerry has final say he always has that does not mean the input in not important that he gets. Hell Jerry could fire Garrett at any time he wants he does not have to wait on some stupid contract to end.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
KJJ;5096269 said:
Wade like Garrett started off as an interim head coach and was 9-7 his first full season as a head coach compared to 8-8 for Garrett in his first full season. In his first 2 full seasons as a head coach Wade was 16-16 which is the same record as Garrett after his first 2 full seasons. The difference is that Wade had a winning season during his first 2 full seasons and his team made the playoffs once. In Wades 8 full seasons as a head coach he had 6 winning seasons including two 11 win teams and one 13 win team. In Wades first 4 seasons as a head coach his teams qualified for the playoffs 3 times. In Wades 8 seasons as a head coach his teams made the playoffs 5 times winning one playoff game.

Although Wade aka Stay Puff wasn't a very good head coach he was clearly better than Garrett who's had real issues with game management his first 2 seasons. The team has looked noticeably disorganized under him and didn't show any progress from year one to year two. The jury is still out on Garrett who's a work in progress. In Buffalo Wade accomplished a lot more with a less talented team than Garrett has in Dallas so far. Wade was stuck with an aging Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed both who were nearing the end of their careers and Rob Johnson and Doug Flutie as his QB's.

In Wade's first 3 seasons in Dallas the Cowboys were 33-15 and made the playoffs twice. Wade led the Cowboys to their first playoff victory in 13 years. Up to this point Wade has clearly been a better head coach than Garrett who hasn't had a winning season and who's just been stripped of his play calling duties. It's beyond me how anyone could say Garrett is a better head coach than Wade after what we've seen with the Cowboys under Garrett his first 2 seasons.

Naturally things could change depending on the outcome of the 2013 season but Garrett has a long way to go to accomplish what Wade did as a head coach even though Wade didn't accomplish a whole lot. We can only judge Garrett off of what we've seen the past 2 seasons and let's be honest it hasn't been pretty. Hopefully things will improve this upcoming season or Garrett's tenure as the Cowboys head coach will likely end up being shorter than Wade's.

So, Wade gets 8 years to prove his worth, but Garrett only gets going on his third year to prove his.

This is another dynamic that I was talking about. How about we let Garrett be a HC for 8 years and then compare.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Garrett has far more potential. He could actually end up being a great Head Coach as evidenced last year by how he handled the Jerry Brown death. His team believes in him more than ever. We are drafting better. We are cutting the fat and moving more towards unity as a team.

Now he has to produce, or rather, his team does. Otherwise it really doesn't matter.

I will further say that Wade was not better than Parcells, but he did have better results, so results aren't always the indicator.