Informal Poll Is Garrett a better Head Coach than Wade?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5096267 said:
Do you think they responded to Garrett because they liked him more, respected him more or do you think they responded to Garrett because they new that he was not a lame duck HC and that he would have the power to cut guys next season?

The team responded to "Jerry" and his announcement to the players that they would be playing for their jobs the following season. When a head coach gets fired during the season that shakes a team up and the players know their heads could be rolling next. Jerry addressed the team immediately after Wade's firing and said I didn't fire Wade YOU fired him!

SF responded to Mike Singletary when he took over as their interim head coach in 08 going 5-4 but the team stopped responding after that. If the Cowboys were responding to "Garrett" during his 8 games as the interim head coach in 2010 no way would the team be 8-8 under him the past 2 seasons.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hostile;5096284 said:
Garrett has far more potential. He could actually end up being a great Head Coach as evidenced last year by how he handled the Jerry Brown death. His team believes in him more than ever. We are drafting better. We are cutting the fat and moving more towards unity as a team.

Now he has to produce, or rather, his team does. Otherwise it really doesn't matter.

I will further say that Wade was not better than Parcells, but he did have better results, so results aren't always the indicator.

Right...you just cannot compare coaches like this. Parcells had years to develop and so did Wade, yet Wade won a playoff game. Garrett has been a HC going on year 3 but we want to compare experience to inexperience years wise...it cannot be done, IMO.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
KJJ;5096286 said:
The team responded to "Jerry" and his announcement to the players that they would be playing for their jobs the following season. When a head coach gets fired during the season that shakes a team up and the players know their heads could be rolling next. Jerry addressed the team immediately after Wade's firing and said I didn't fire Wade YOU fired him!

SF responded to Mike Singletary when he took over as their interim head coach in 08 going 5-4 but the team stopped responding after that. If the Cowboys were responding to "Garrett" during his 8 games as the interim head coach in 2010 no way would the Cowboys be 8-8 under him during his first 2 full seasons.

:rolleyes:

Hello, maybe because they are different teams! Why you don't understand that I have no clue.

jnday

Reaction score
Doomsday101;5096246 said:
I will not slam Wade, he is very fine defensive coach and did some good things as the HC but when he lost the team and they pretty much quit on him there is not much an organization can do but to fire the coach. Having a bad season is one thing losing the players is another.

As for Garrett he has to win period, he is now in his 3rd full season as HC and for him to keep his job he has to get this team winning games.

No, what you do is get rid of a bunch of gutless players. These guys are pros. They should sct like pros. At the very least, they should have enough pride and self respect not to quit. I.will be glad when every one of those players that quit are gone from this team. A pro that quits is always a quitter and should never be forgiven.

Aven8

Reaction score
IMO Garrett is a good coach when it comes to saying the right things, coach speak, and looking the part. RKG, pressers, etc.

But when it comes to preparation and game day coaching I've seen nothing to the fact that he's any better then Campo, or Wade. It's not a bash on him, it's just what I see and my opinion.

His offense was a mess last year and it looked more like poor preparation then the Oline everybody likes to blame it on. We scrapped the gameplan a dozen times and we only got close or won when Tony took over.

Reaction score
on a side note and I've been a member for 9 years I think, how do you start a "formal" poll here? Seems like a useful tool to get the pulse of the zone on a particular topic and a platform to facilitate discussion. Haven't seen them in awhile....can only moderators start polls?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Aven8;5096300 said:
IMO Garrett is a good coach when it comes to saying the right things, coach speak, and looking the part. RKG, pressers, etc.

But when it comes to preparation and game day coaching I've seen nothing to the fact that he's any better then Campo, or Wade. It's not a bash on him, it's just what I see and my opinion.

His offense was a mess last year and it looked more like poor preparation then the Oline everybody likes to blame it on. We scrapped the gameplan a dozen times and we only got close or won when Tony took over.

When it comes to saying the right things Garrett is great but on game day what he says and what we see on the field doesn't match up. Any coach can say all the right things but we all know talk is cheap you have to see results on the field. I'm pulling for Garrett because if the Cowboys don't make the playoffs in 2013 he's likely gone and it will be back to the drawing board for the Cowboys with a new head coach who may not get any better results.

Gaede

Reaction score
5Stars;5096243 said:
If Garrett wins a SB this year, will he be a better coach than Wade?

Yes, Super Bowl trumps all.

But while we're imagining scenarios, if the players quit on Garrett, Romo gets knocked out for the year, and the HC is fired midseason, will his ardent supporters still consider him better than Wade?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
He looks to be, but Wade did have a 13-3 season. I'm not giving JG the nod until he finishes better than 8-8.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Aven8;5096300 said:

Your right...Garrett makes mistakes, all HC's do. Parcells made mistakes during his coaching years, so has Wade. There is not a coach in History that has not made a mistake. But those coaches have a lot experience, years of them. Garrett is learning and I hope that the whole team is also.

Do we really forget all the injuries on the team last year to go 8 - 8. That had nothing to do with the coach.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gaede;5096314 said:

But while we're imagining scenarios, if the players quit on Garrett, Romo gets knocked out for the year, and the HC is fired midseason, will his ardent supporters still consider him better than Wade?

:laugh2:

I don't know....?

:confused:

Red Dragon

Reaction score
No. That being said, his first eight games coached in 2010 were impressive; the Cowboys were just two plays away from going 7-1 after that disastrous 1-7 start to the season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gaede;5096314 said:

If the players quit on him, then he failed. If he were to enter the failed category with Campo and Wade, then I don't care how the 3 rank within that category.

TheRat

The Silly Willy
Reaction score
Gaede;5096048 said:
Wade's record after 3 years--33-15.
Garrett (almost 3 years)--21-19

Pretty easy decision.

Obviously skewed by the last season Wade coached and the first Garrett coached, but point is, Wade was more successful than Garrett
This.

People bash Wade because of his demeanor, but the simple fact is before his team gave up on him he had a pretty good record relative to most other coaches out there.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The only true litmus test is 2010 when both were HCs here. Wade was 1-7. Jason was 5-3 without Romo.