INT Wars - Dak vs Hurts

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Bottom line is since 2016,Dak has the 7th worst int rankings with 69.. amongst active QBs.
OK, give me 1 last go at explaining numbers.....

Dak entered the league in 2016 and based on nfl.com, there were 11 QBs who were in the league then still playing now. These being Prescott, Cousins, Stafford, Wilson, Dalton, Winston, Carr, Mariota, Tannihill, Geoff and Garoppolo.

Using nfl.com stats, I looked a games played and INTs from 2016 to now for these 11 players. Prescott actually has the 4th BEST only behind Wilson, Mariota and Carr.

For example; Prescott - 69 INTs in 103 games = 0.67% int to game ratio. Wilson 68 INTs to 116 games = 0.58% ratio.

The full list.....

Prescott 69 in 103 = 0.67%
Cousins 79 in 118 = 0.67% (which made me laugh)
Stafford 77 in 105 = 0.73%
Wilson 68 in 116 = 0 58%
Dalton 71 in 92 = 0.77%
Winston 82 in 73 = 1.12% (yikes)
Carr 77 in 117 = 0.66%
Mariota 44 in 75 = 0.58%
Tannihill 60 in 87 = 0 69%
Goff 74 in 107 = 0.69%
Garoppolo 50 in 68 = 0.74%.

Does that now make it clear? Only 3 QBs have a lower INT ratio than Prescott using your 2016-2023 date range.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
OK, give me 1 last go at explaining numbers.....

Dak entered the league in 2016 and based on nfl.com, there were 11 QBs who were in the league then still playing now. These being Prescott, Cousins, Stafford, Wilson, Dalton, Winston, Carr, Mariota, Tannihill, Geoff and Garoppolo.

Using nfl.com stats, I looked a games played and INTs from 2016 to now for these 11 players. Prescott actually has the 4th BEST only behind Wilson, Mariota and Carr.

For example; Prescott - 69 INTs in 103 games = 0.67% int to game ratio. Wilson 68 INTs to 116 games = 0.58% ratio.

The full list.....

Prescott 69 in 103 = 0.67%
Cousins 79 in 118 = 0.67% (which made me laugh)
Stafford 77 in 105 = 0.73%
Wilson 68 in 116 = 0 58%
Dalton 71 in 92 = 0.77%
Winston 82 in 73 = 1.12% (yikes)
Carr 77 in 117 = 0.66%
Mariota 44 in 75 = 0.58%
Tannihill 60 in 87 = 0 69%
Goff 74 in 107 = 0.69%
Garoppolo 50 in 68 = 0.74%.

Does that now make it clear? Only 3 QBs have a lower INT ratio than Prescott using your 2016-2023 date range.
This is all well and good but the INT per game thing is kinda silly since they don't all attempt the same number of passes. The facts say that Dak has one of the 9 or 10 lowest INT percentages OF ALL TIME over his career. That's comparing to a thousand guys who have played QB in the NFL. People can rationalize it or "but look at 2022" till the cows come home but for his career Dak has been outstanding at taking care of the ball. I called last year an anomaly the minute it happened and that's turning out to be the case thus far this season. 11 games to go yet but up to this point he simply has not turned the ball over a bunch this season which is more consistent with the way he has played most of his career.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
What’s the triple h effect?
In 2000, wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austin got a bad neck injury. He was the undisputed top wrestler at the time, so the WWF wrote a storyline where a current wrestler called a hit on him. They did a video of him being hit by a car and used that as explanation for the injury.

During the next 6 months or so that he was sidelined, the Rock really built up his name as the number one billing in the company, and benefited extremely from Austin’s storyline accident. Rock won the title off of Triple H who got the title after Austin was injured, then Rock was in the main event of every PPV until Austin came back.

The story dictated that Austin knew someone put a hit out for him, and it was the person who had the most to gain from his absence. They did a long whodunnit trail of evidence for Austin to follow until he concluded that no one benefited more than the Rock, because that’s the result that made the most sense. But in a twist it turned out that Triple H hit him with the car because Triple H actually gained the most. He’s marrying the bosses daughter, is now running the entire company (in the storyline and eventually in real life as well), and he catapulted to a superstar from the on and off storyline heel that he was when Austin was top dog.

Dak’s draft is Austin getting hit by the car. Rock’s summer of dominance is the Cowboys with franchise QB Dak. Getting hit by the car made Rock the star, the #1 billing. The obvious choice for who benefited the most. Drafting Dak gave the cowboys their longterm franchise QB, of course it makes sense they benefited from drafting Dak. You’re in playoff contention every year, 3 12+ win seasons since he was drafted, 3 divisional round appearances. But in a weird twist, the greatest 8 year run in Philadelphia Eagles history has occurred from the moment you drafted Dak Prescott. Before that, the Romo era got Reid fired. We hadn’t won a playoff game in 8 years. Howie lost his job. Chip Kelly destroyed the roster. But since that day: 6 playoff appearances in 7 years. 6 playoff wins in that time. 2 NFCCGs, 2 SB appearances, our only ring. And we’re just getting started. Best record in the NFC and 60m$ in cap space next year. Dallas hasn’t gotten further in the playoffs than Philly since Dak’s rookie year.

So if Dak beats the Eagles again, or sets more Cowboys records for passing, I’m okay with it. Because in a strange twist of fate, Philadelphia is now in their heyday, and nothing appears to be changing as long as it’s the Dak show in Dallas.

Last edited:

Boysdaboys

Reaction score
I agree, though I do think Hurtz is a bit more athletic (hec, just look at how effective that Tush Push is ;) ).
He is more athletic definitely.

But can he make due when guys aren't open all the time. Needs to throw into tight windows? Or, when he needs to speed things up because he does not have all day to throw.

That is the difference between very good & elite.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Its funny all summer Eagles fans joked about how Dak lead the league in interceptions. So its fitting karma hit them right in the face with Hurts leading the league in interceptions.
It’s almost as if it’s the product of randomness, but no… that’s not what the talking heads want you to think.

I’m so sick of all of the fake narratives that the bums at ESPN come up with just to stir the pot and get clicks.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
It's fun to tease Eagles fans, but Jalen Hurts hasn't been bad this year despite the int total.
Yeah, Sunday night they compared his stats through six weeks and they’re almost identical… Apart from the interceptions. But that’s like saying he’s in perfect health other than bullet hole in his head.

Jstopper

Reaction score
Finally...........sense reasoning. I wouldn't say I like the Eagles as much as the next guy, but they are 6-1 as stated. You have to respect how Hurts brushed off both interceptions and kept making plays with his arms and legs, something can't honestly say about Dak lately.
Okay so I guess i imagined the Chargers game. Gotcha

Jstopper

Reaction score
Bottom line is since 2016,Dak has the 7th worst int rankings with 69.. amongst active QBs.
This is such a cherry picked ignorant narrative you're trying to push. Go take a nap, anybody with sense can see through your nonsense.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey person I don't know really well-- let me tell you what you would and wouldn't want.
Exactly...:laugh:
Last year Dak went 7-1 (finished the regular season 9-3) after coming back from injury and was roasted for the INTs. The team was winning but still so many were piling on.

Dak is not as good as some think and he's not as bad as others think.

The crazy part is Dak has never been an INT machine and they forget how he was praised when he first took over for NOT turning over the ball. So to me, last year was more of an anomaly than anything else. The problem is that the Cowboys overcorrected and have stunted the offense in the process.

sandbridge77

Reaction score
Exactly...:laugh:

Dak is not as good as some think and he's not as bad as others think.

The crazy part is Dak has never been an INT machine and they forget how he was praised when he first took over for NOT turning over the ball. So to me, last year was more of an anomaly than anything else. The problem is that the Cowboys overcorrected and have stunted the offense in the process.
This is spot on, but Dak still had to get over his big game issues, until he gets it done in post season, it will be his legacy.

bottleKids

Reaction score
Yeah I mean you can downplay it all you want. Hell Kirk Cousins has more TD's than most guys in the league he's not playing bad football.

But you guys gave Hurts 250 million based on him improving his game not taking a step backwards. Let's don't kid ourselves. You can pretend like its funny but your chances at winning a ring is dependent on how Hurts is playing.
But this is why we can't give Dak the same type of contract... he got paid before ANY of the current big boys... if we are going to extend him (and you and I differ on this lolol) he has to not demand 250 plus extension.