Interesting Julius Jones news

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
2233 said:
Feature Barber get another back to plod along for 3.9 yrds a carry and run into the back of his blockers, they are a dime a dozen.

but don't you want better than that though? that's what I'm saying, we could just keep Julius and use the pick elsewhere, or risk spending the pick on the same type of production

I don't want to take that risk, you guys do

dwmyers

Reaction score
Alexander;1250143 said:
Because you can draft another runner to do the average job that Jones is doing right now.

Check JJ's running average sometime. It's not "average" or "ordinary" for a Parcells back. Average for a Parcells back is more like 3.5 ypc.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;1250275 said:
Why do you continue to ask this question like it validates anything you have to say?

that's a part of my point

what if we spend that pick on a back that is just as mediocre?

answer: wasted pick

Alex said:
We could draft any of the top 10-15 backs in the upcoming draft, plug them in and get under four yards a carry out of them.

again, that's wasting a pick

you have a good idea though, have Tyson compete w/ Julius, that's alot better to me than risking wasting a pick

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dwmyers;1250285 said:
Check JJ's running average sometime. It's not "average" or "ordinary" for a Parcells back. Average for a Parcells back is more like 3.5 ypc.
That must mean that Barber is superhuman.

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
I wouldn't completely be opposed to moving jones but i'm not sure this is the year to do it, given the RB draft class.

We aint gonna be getting peterson or marshawn lynch and that really only leaves Michael Bush coming off an injury.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner;1250284 said:
doesnt Barber have 11 rushing TDs? and 2 receiving? and Julius averages 4.1 yards per carry
You need to go back and read what was posted. I said over the last nine weeks and I never stipulated if they were rushing or receiving tds just tds... JJ has averaged 3.9 yrds per carry over the last 9 weeks, take out the Saints game and it is even more pitiful...

summerisfunner;1250284 said:
but don't you want better than that though? that's what I'm saying, we could just keep Julius and use the pick elsewhere, or risk spending the pick on the same type of production

I don't want to take that risk, you guys do
I do want better than that, and I am pretty sure JJ can't give better. So if something isn't working you fix it. JJ isn't working out. Trade him Dallas would be no worse off and could get dramatically better.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
2233boys;1250294 said:
You need to go back and read what was posted. I said over the last nine weeks and I never stipulated if they were rushing or receiving tds just tds... JJ has averaged 3.9 yrds per carry over the last 9 weeks, take out the Saints game and it is even more pitiful...

then I didn't comprehend, my bad

2233boys said:
I do want better than that, and I am pretty sure JJ can't give better. So if something isn't working you fix it. JJ isn't working out. Trade him Dallas would be no worse off and could get dramatically better.

that's where I disagree, there's nothing to back that up, that's basically saying, 'anyone but Julius and our problems are solved'

nobody in the NFL thinks in those terms, now if there was a back that grades better than Julius did when he came out, I can see it, but this draft is kind of weak for RBs, esp. where we'll be picking

dwmyers

Reaction score
theogt;1250289 said:
That must mean that Barber is superhuman.

Barber's average is currently over 5 yards a carry. The only one to sustain an average like that was Jim Brown. Do you think if Marion Barber is placed in a starting role he'll average 5+ yards a carry?

There is no sign that he will. Parcells will run him the same way he runs any starting back, and he'll have to be very good to average 4.0.

For example, Curtis Martin does not have a career 4.0 average with Parcells. Neither does Ottis Anderson.

Those that gripe about a 3.9 ypc haven't looked carefully at the rushing averages of Parcells backs.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dwmyers;1250318 said:
Barber's average is currently over 5 yards a carry. The only one to sustain an average like that was Jim Brown. Do you think if Marion Barber is placed in a starting role he'll average 5+ yards a carry?

There is no sign that he will. Parcells will run him the same way he runs any starting back, and he'll have to be very good to average 4.0.

For example, Curtis Martin does not have a career 4.0 average with Parcells. Neither does Ottis Anderson.

Those that gripe about a 3.9 ypc haven't looked carefully at the rushing averages of Parcells backs.
So what you're saying is that Parcells is calling different running plays for Julius and Marion, and that Parcells intentionally calls plays to get less production out of his backs?

I think I've heard all the conspiracy theories I care to hear.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
you guys also have to figure what kind of return will we get in an exchange for Julius, if it's not a 3rd or higher, it's not even worth it IMO

and if a team was Alexander, it wouldn't be much lol

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
2233boys;1250152 said:
You really aren't that bright are you?

Bright enough to know JuJo >>>>>>>>> T-Ham

If you dont see that, not much I can do to help you.

dwmyers

Reaction score
theogt;1250321 said:
So what you're saying is that Parcells is calling different running plays for Julius and Marion, and that Parcells intentionally calls plays to get less production out of his backs?

I think I've heard all the conspiracy theories I care to hear.

I'm just looking at the stats, theogt, no conspiracy theories here.

Parcells' average YPC for his main running back is a lot lower than you think. It's so persistent it has to be deliberate. And very often his secondary runners have higher averages than his main back. Some examples follow.

these numbers come from here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

Ottis Anderson - 1989, played 16 games, 325 carries 1023 yards 3.1 ypc

That year Dave Meggett averaged well over 4. But Ottis Anderson was the main runner. This was a good NYG team and Ottis just sucks compared to JJ.

Ottis Anderson - 1990, played 16 games, 225 carries 784 yards 3.5 ypc, in a year when Rodney Hampton averaged 4.2 and Meggett averaged 7.5 yards a carry.

Curtis Martin - 1995, played 16 games, 368 carries 1487 yards 4.0 ypc, in an exceptional year by BP standards. Meggett averaged 4.2 ypc.

Curtis Martin - 1996, played 16 games, 316 carries 1152 yards 3.6 ypc. No one ran much better than that in 1996.

Curtis Martin - 1998, played 15 games, 369 carries 1287 yards 3.5 ypc. Both Leon Johnson and Sowell averaged over 4 yards a carry.

Curtis Martin - 1999 played 16 games, 367 carries 1464 yards 4.0 ypc. Parmalee averaged 4.9 ypc, and Richie Anderson averaged 5.2 ypc.

Let me point out that on a YPC basis, JJ is having a better season than any of these listed. The only seasons I can think of that are better are the 1985 and 1986 seasons of Joe Morris and perhaps JJ's rookie season itself.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

David Myers.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dwmyers;1250346 said:
I'm just looking at the stats, theogt, no conspiracy theories here.

Parcells' average YPC for his main running back is a lot lower than you think. It's so persistent it has to be deliberate. And very often his secondary runners have higher averages than his main back. Some examples follow.

these numbers come from here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

Ottis Anderson - 1989, played 16 games, 325 carries 1023 yards 3.1 ypc

That year Dave Meggett averaged well over 4. But Ottis Anderson was the main runner. This was a good NYG team and Ottis just sucks compared to JJ.

Ottis Anderson - 1990, played 16 games, 225 carries 784 yards 3.5 ypc, in a year when Rodney Hampton averaged 4.2 and Meggett averaged 7.5 yards a carry.

Curtis Martin - 1995, played 16 games, 368 carries 1487 yards 4.0 ypc, in an exceptional year by BP standards. Meggett averaged 4.2 ypc.

Curtis Martin - 1996, played 16 games, 316 carries 1152 yards 3.6 ypc. No one ran much better than that in 1996.

Curtis Martin - 1998, played 15 games, 369 carries 1287 yards 3.5 ypc. Both Leon Johnson and Sowell averaged over 4 yards a carry.

Curtis Martin - 1999 played 16 games, 367 carries 1464 yards 4.0 ypc. Parmalee averaged 4.9 ypc, and Richie Anderson averaged 5.2 ypc.

Let me point out that on a YPC basis, JJ is having a better season than any of these listed. The only seasons I can think of that are better are the 1985 and 1986 seasons of Joe Morris and perhaps JJ's rookie season itself.

David Myers.

That's an outstanding analysis David.

Bill could give a crap about the fantasy stats that everyone is crowing about.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I don't think the fact that Parcell's running backs in the past have had average (or in some of the cases you pointed out below average) seasons, means anything really.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc;1250349 said:
That's an outstanding analysis David.

Bill could give a crap about the fantasy stats that everyone is crowing about.
Who said a damned thing about fantasy? Some people want a back that doesn't run forward 2 yards and fall down. Some people actually like a back that can get you 4-5 yards on a first down run. Some people don't like 2nd and 9s.

Like I said earlier, some people are happy with mediocrity and some aren't.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Forget Addai and Maroney, how awesome would it be to have Maurice Drew splitting carries with MBIII?

And Drew is a darn good return man too.

What round was Drew drafted? That's the round we need to take a shot at a RB. It has to be a shifty type RB, not another bruiser.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Rack;1250359 said:
Forget Addai and Maroney, how awesome would it be to have Maurice Drew splitting carries with MBIII?

And Drew is a darn good return man too.

What round was Drew drafted? That's the round we need to take a shot at a RB. It has to be a shifty type RB, not another bruiser.
My money is on Addai being the best back from that draft class 5 years from now. He's the complete package.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
2233boys;1250294 said:

So basically anybody we pick in the bottom of the draft will be an instant upgrade over JuJo. Since JuJo is going to end the season with probably 1100+ yards, that is going to be some pick.

1300-1500 yard back in the bottom of the first is what your plan is.....WOW:eek:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt;1250361 said:
My money is on Addai being the best back from that draft class 5 years from now. He's the complete package.

If I'm running a 2 RB offense - instead of one workhorse - I'd rather have Drew. He's more of a home run threat and he can return kicks.