Is Micah Parsons the best rookie in Cowboys history?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
But you didn't ask if Zeke would have been great with Romo.. you asked if Dak would have had the same success in Cincinnati or some such.. Sure Zeke would have been great with Romo. My counter is that Dak would have been really good with the Cowboys with Derrick Henry..

Nah. You changed the convo. I just played your game.

Henry wasn’t very good early in his career so no guarantees.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Here's a few greats who made their mark on the defense side of the ball when they were rookies: Roy "Horse Collar" Williams, Randy " The Manster" White, Harvey Martin, Darren Woodson, Lee Roy Jordon, Mel Renfro, Bob Lilly, Ed "TOO TALL" Jones. Each one of these players were bad *** dudes who could take over a game one hit at a time. Hopefully, Parsons has a great long career like each one of these players did. One Note: Williams career fell off a little when he was asked to drop back in coverage, didn't have the speed necessary to be great, but ball carriers feared him because hit so dam hard!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dak got thrown to the wolves as a 4th round rookie and led the team to a 13-3 record. Zeke was a huge part of that. However. Dak not cracking under the pressure of playing on the biggest stage in football helped this team a lot as well. Him not throwing a pick for 160 plus pass attempts and protecting the football was huge as well. One thing about Dak that we have seen countless rookie QBs lack is mental fortitude. But I guess that was someone else too.

Yep. Dak was good. Zeke and the OL were the reason. Deal with it.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Everson Walls got his 11 interceptions his rookie season, he was undrafted out of Grambling. If memory serves, he was the only rookie to ever break 10 interceptions in the Superbowl era. That would have to rank up there with Parsons.

That's what has him above Parsons in my book. That's extraordinary for a rookie. 4th highest number of INTs ever, and as a rookie to boot. Parsons was great and leaped off the page at you but in terms of accomplishments, Walls' feat tops what Parsons did even though a lot of what Parsons has done doesn't show up on the stat sheet like impacting the culture. I guess that's what the OP was going for to vault Parsons to the top but you can't ignore the tally of on-the-field contributions. Those change culture too.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This is really for the long time fans. I can only speak about mid 80's on.

Did we just witness the greatest rookie season in the history of the Dallas Cowboys? I can't think of one better over the last 40 years.

This needs to be adjusted for era obviously. Don't give me raw stats as the reason. It's a much different game today than it was then. I'm asking who was the best in their time not who put up the best overall numbers.

I need people who were around for the 60s and 70s to speak on this.

Is Micah the rookie King?

If so, double bicep flex in your face.
Larry Allen was pretty good, but Parsons is the King.

conner01

Reaction score
Good lord, if we are talking all-time rookie season, how can you NOT include Dak. What he did his rookie season as a 4th round pick at the most important position on the field is top 3, min. Think about it, he literally forced one of our greatest legends into retirement.
Dak, Tony D, Walls, Parson
One could argue any of them as best rookie season ever

bigE79

Reaction score

Did we just witness the greatest rookie season in the history of the Dallas Cowboys? I can't think of one better over the last 40 years.

This needs to be adjusted for era obviously. Don't give me raw stats as the reason. It's a much different game today than it was then. I'm asking who was the best in their time not who put up the best overall numbers.

That honour will always belong to mr cowboy#74

Blackrain

Reaction score
As far as impacting the game Bob Hayes completely changed the game. He is the greatest Cowboy rookie IMO . Tony Dorsett is next because he propelled us to winning a SB

Was too young to see Bob Lillys rookie year

Risen you are getting a bit ahead of yourself , Lets see how Micah impacts the playoffs before we pass judgment. We will need him to really step up and support our lowly run defense . It will be a true test of his ability .

From what I see so far he is the best defensive rookie we have ever drafted Im excited to see if he can dominate the playoffs . How nice would it be to see a savage pummeling of Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers from our young Lion

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
LOL. Dak was great. And put up one of the greatest rookie seasons of all time. Regardless of "help". Believe what you want.
One of the greatest rookie seasons of all time?

That's' where you lose me. Maybe for a QB, but overall not even close.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Many of us were ready to crown Parsons the best rookie ever before he ever stepped up to offer his case. In truth, there have many saviors that stepped into the rookie role to be great in their own right. This year isn't over. Let's just see how well he performs in the playoffs first, before getting carried away.

Last edited:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dak, Tony D, Walls, Parson
One could argue any of them as best rookie season ever
How can you say Dak and not include Zeke?

Zeke rushed for 1,600 yards and 15 TDs and caught 32 passes for 400 yards and a TD.
He was first team all pro and won the rushing title.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Dak got OPOY as a rookie. Let's see Parsons get DPOY before you go assuming he's the best Cowboy rookie of all time. You may still think Parsons is better, but the awards speak for themselves.
Jethro Tull beat Metallica for the first Heavy Metal grammy

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

You obviously have forgotten about Taco’s sack celebration, Micah has a strong case for second though

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Dorsett in 1977 leading us back to SB would rank up there.

The entire Rookie class of 1975’s “Dirty Dozen” as a group best ever including some greats like Randy White and Hollywood which helped lead us back to a Super Bowl.

Bob Hayes rookie 1965 season definitely turned the league on its ear and made our offense a threat leading to first non losing season.

And as much as I’m sure this will draw a reaction Prescotts rookie season would have to be up there as well.