Is there any WR on this list you wouldn’t take over Lamb?

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Last season isn't this season. Dude is now 30 and has had two ACL surgeries. He's at best a number 2. He's still better then Gallup if he's totally healed.
30 isn't old these days and ACL surgery has come a long way. Please don't reference Gallup like so many others seem to. Gallup isn't in the same stratosphere as Beckham.

How often do we see people on this board underrate such and such player, only to see them light the world on fire with their next team? Remember when everyone and their mom decided that Antonio Brown and Randy Moss were washed, and then watched them have career years? Remember when 90% of this board hated the Amari Cooper trade?

OBJ is one of the best receivers of our generation, is a free agent, and this team happens to have a glaring hole at WR. This could be THE year looking at our current roster and the work they've put in. Watch the game film. Beckham is still explosive and could do some wonderful things on this team. I'm generally against this kind of move, but it makes too much sense for this current team.

cnuball21

Reaction score
You don't have to define a #1.

Everyone knows a #1 wr when they see it. If there are discussions about a WR, and whether he's a #1 WR or not....the answer is, he's not.

I think the problem is some people assume elite when they think #1WR. 2 completely different things.

You can count elite players on one hand where there are probably 15-18ish solid #1 WRs in the NFL.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Last season isn't this season. Dude is now 30 and has had two ACL surgeries. He's at best a number 2. He's still better then Gallup if he's totally healed.

Yea I’m very partial on the whole Odell deal. He’s not going to be close to what he use to be and will likely cost a fortune.

Like you said, prolly a #2 at best and not sure he’ll be better than MG once he’s 100%.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I know that the Cowboys don't retire jersey numbers but can we agree that certain numbers like 88 need to be given out judicially once a player has proven to be worth it instead of just handing it out to anyone? No way do I put Ceedee in the class of a Pearson, Irvin or even Dez.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Plenty of guys have been named, but there are probably two dozen WRs I would take over Lamb. He is closer to a WR2 than a WR1.

Like another poster said, he's kind of a souped up Tyler Boyd. He has a very nice feel for finding space in coverage and has ball skills to make the acrobatic catch. But you'll see him duck out on sideline balls or seam routes. He's built like a stick and will not go and body guys up for contested catches. Can't really make YAC happen either, because he's not strong and not very fast.

To me, a WR1 is a guy who you can open the whole playbook for. If he is limited on certain routes or plays, he has to be unbelievably dominant on others, a la Dez. Amari Cooper is an example of a guy who could win on anything you sent him on.

I don't trust CeeDee to win on sideline routes the way I trusted Cooper. He's not a full-playbook guy, he's more of a slot WR.

Either way though, he is getting paid, because the WR market went unbelievably stupid last offseason. If CeeDee became a free agent tomorrow, signing him for $20M per season would be steal. Given his age, he could probably ask for something like the 4 years/$100M that AJ Brown got.

-------------

And as far as OBJ... I'd sign him, but I would temper my expectations. At his peak with the Giants, he was a full-playbook guy. He had 4.4 speed and could make cuts that would rip the gears out of anyone else's transmission. But his game was heavily athleticism dependent. At age 30 with torn up knees, he's not that guy any more. He's not a WR1, he's more of a slot like CeeDee. And CeeDee's better at this point.

I think we just need help at WR right now, it's the second most valuable position in football per WAR and we're pretty thin at it. But Odell's no #1, and I doubt he's a #2.

Last edited:

LysleE

Reaction score
I think OBJ is living off his body of work with the Giants and with his injury history do we really think he is that much of an upgrade over what we currently have in our WR stable?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I played wr a little in high school for junior varsity and our qb sucked and I’m running routes liek what’s the point. This talentless pud just constantly took sacks. Dunno if he was a masochist or what. This one time . ONE TIME. he launched it deep for me and to this day I wish I finished my route. We coulda won state

cnuball21

Reaction score
Plenty of guys have been named, but there are probably two dozen WRs I would take over Lamb. He is closer to a WR2 than a WR1.

Like another poster said, he's kind of a souped up Tyler Boyd. He has a very nice feel for finding space in coverage and has ball skills to make the acrobatic catch. But you'll see him duck out on sideline balls or seam routes. He's built like a stick and will not go and body guys up for contested catches. Can't really make YAC happen either, because he's not strong and not very fast.

To me, a WR1 is a guy who you can open the whole playbook for. If he is limited on certain routes or plays, he has to be unbelievably dominant on others, a la Dez. Amari Cooper is an example of a guy who could win on anything you sent him on.

I don't trust CeeDee to win on sideline routes the way I trusted Cooper. He's not a full-playbook guy, he's more of a slot WR.

Either way though, he is getting paid, because the WR market went unbelievably stupid last offseason. If CeeDee became a free agent tomorrow, signing him for $20M per season would be steal. Given his age, he could probably ask for something like the 4 years/$100M that AJ Brown got.

-------------

And as far as OBJ... I'd sign him, but I would temper my expectations. At his peak with the Giants, he was a full-playbook guy. He had 4.4 speed and could make cuts that would rip the gears out of anyone else's transmission. But his game was heavily athleticism dependent. At age 30 with torn up knees, he's not that guy any more. He's not a WR1, he's more of a slot like CeeDee. And CeeDee's better at this point.

I think we just need help at WR right now, it's the second most valuable position in football per WAR and we're pretty thin at it. But Odell's no #1, and I doubt he's a #2.

While I disagree with you about Lamb, as I think he is a #1, I like the analogy you used about “using the whole playbook.” I like the phrase “win at all 3 levels” meaning short / intermediate / long which I think Lamb does well.

Creeper

Reaction score
Some of the guys on the list are older and that is a negative compared to Lamb but a bunch of guys on the list are better than Lamb right now. This is a conversation to have when Lambs contract is up.

UncleRico

Reaction score
St. Brown? :laugh::laugh:

This fanbase never ceases to amaze me

Btw, besides St. Brown, Jefferson, Chase, Brown, and Waddle, all of those guys are vets that have been in the league considerably longer than Ceedee.

Now compare their numbers in their 3rd year to Ceedees. Only Hopkins, Evans, and maybe Kupp had better numbers in year 3. Hopkins and Evans are future HOFers
St. Brown is great. Has been since last year. Haven’t looked at #’s but guarantee last two season totals his are better than Lamb’s. St Brown is a beats you just don’t hear of him because he is on the Lions.

He didn’t play until week 9 last year of his Rookie year. These are his #’s so far in 12 games:

Career NFL statistics as of Week 9, 2022
Receptions:
Receiving yards: 1,311
Receiving touchdowns: 8

UncleRico

Reaction score
St. Brown? :laugh::laugh:

This fanbase never ceases to amaze me

Btw, besides St. Brown, Jefferson, Chase, Brown, and Waddle, all of those guys are vets that have been in the league considerably longer than Ceedee.

Now compare their numbers in their 3rd year to Ceedees. Only Hopkins, Evans, and maybe Kupp had better numbers in year 3. Hopkins and Evans are future HOFers[/

you really didn’t make a point against what I was saying

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Tyreek Hill
Devante Adams
Cooper Kupp
Jordan Jefferson
Jamar Chase
Stefan Diggs
AJ Brown
Jaylen Waddle
Mike Evans
Deandre Hopkins
Keenan Allen
DJ Moore
Aman Ra St. Brown

Those are just off top of my head.

I think we need OBJ. Lamb is OUR WR1 but he’s not a go-to #1 that you can rely on to go get a ball whenever you need it. Think OBJ would open up the offense so much more and create more opportunities for Lamb and Gallup. Think adding OBJ would be huge. He’d at least have to be accounted for by opponent and a great decoy if nothing else.

Ends after Evans. Waddle is an argument.

Lamb is 100% a goto #1 WR. As reliable as it gets.

kskboys

Reaction score
30 isn't old these days and ACL surgery has come a long way. Please don't reference Gallup like so many others seem to. Gallup isn't in the same stratosphere as Beckham.

How often do we see people on this board underrate such and such player, only to see them light the world on fire with their next team? Remember when everyone and their mom decided that Antonio Brown and Randy Moss were washed, and then watched them have career years? Remember when 90% of this board hated the Amari Cooper trade?

OBJ is one of the best receivers of our generation, is a free agent, and this team happens to have a glaring hole at WR. This could be THE year looking at our current roster and the work they've put in. Watch the game film. Beckham is still explosive and could do some wonderful things on this team. I'm generally against this kind of move, but it makes too much sense for this current team.
The stuff about OBJ may not be true any more.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I think the problem is some people assume elite when they think #1WR. 2 completely different things.

You can count elite players on one hand where there are probably 15-18ish solid #1 WRs in the NFL.
True...I guess I was using "#1" as synonymous to elite...but TBT every single team has a "best receiver " on their team, hence their #1.

Some teams could have a #1 that totally sucks

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
The stuff about OBJ may not be true any more.
I had the same line of thinking until I took a minute to watch some of his game tape from last year. He would immediately improve this offense, even if he's lost half a step.

stinkface

Reaction score

Per Micky S. If he is that good why is he available?

Wangchung83

Reaction score
I just hope lamb reads this and leaves the cowboys. Too many dak fan boys and disrespected constantly by our fans. Just sayin I wouldn’t stick around if I were him;).