It's about that time ladies and gents, hang it up on Jason Witten

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Only thing with Witten and I've never been scared to say things about our stars...is that if Romo doesn't put the ball right on target no way in hell Witten Catches it. Even throws that require a little jump he's god awful at bringing them in. He makes up for it in other areas but I wish we had a more dynamic TE sometimes.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
signthreadstupid.jpg

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I'm all for giving Escobar about 30% of Witten's reps for now but Witten still has a lot of fight in him.. Having said that can we afford his salary next year?

kimrose

Reaction score
Wait til he's released next year then everyone here will support the idea ;p

I will not support the idea. Especially if Romo is still healthy enough to be here. Witten is Tony's go to guy. If Tony throws to Jason it is almost guaranteed yardage pickup. Doesn't matter if it's 11 or 3. Yardage is yardage. Unless it is 3rd and 10 and Jason is at the 3 in heavy coverage. Then we might be in trouble, but if that was the case, Tony shouldn't be throwing to him anyway, because he knows Witten better than any of us do. But there are very few balls Tony throws Jason's way that don't add up to getting closer to a first down, or getting the first down. I know Tony forces it Witten sometimes that makes me scratch my head, because it adds up to nothing, but if you look at Jason, he's scratching his head, too. And then of course, is Jason's blocking ability, which some would argue is the reason he is still out there, anyway.

Now, I don't want to get into arguments with any of yall, I am not proficient in football speak, and undoubtedly could never get into a deep discussion with any of you, very respectively, football minded folk, who astound me with all of the knowledge you all possess, just stating my opinion of Jason Witten's worth. I had to stand up and speak my peace about him. He is worth having and worth keeping. And I hope some day when he retires, he stays on as one of our coaches. And there is no reason on Earth why we should even ponder getting rid of him yet. And for heaven's sake, Please keep Escobar! Let Witten continue to be his mentor, because if we can hold on to This dude, he will be our prize one day. Escy has a lot to offer, but he still is learning from the master. Let the protege learn, and let the master teach. And let's get together in a year or two and talk then. I say let Jason Witten retire on his own with dignity and class, just like the man he is, and not force him out prematurely because we are desperate for something to change. Canning Witten will not change a thing for us.
Peace. :starspin:

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Witten still gets open, I mean wide open. Why would we hang the curtains on one of the best TEs in football? There are very few TEs I would trust in a crucial 3rd down situation, moreover Witten's hands do not let you down in crunch time.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I will not support the idea. Especially if Romo is still healthy enough to be here. Witten is Tony's go to guy. If Tony throws to Jason it is almost guaranteed yardage pickup. Doesn't matter if it's 11 or 3. Yardage is yardage. Unless it is 3rd and 10 and Jason is at the 3 in heavy coverage. Then we might be in trouble, but if that was the case, Tony shouldn't be throwing to him anyway, because he knows Witten better than any of us do. But there are very few balls Tony throws Jason's way that don't add up to getting closer to a first down, or getting the first down. I know Tony forces it Witten sometimes that makes me scratch my head, because it adds up to nothing, but if you look at Jason, he's scratching his head, too. And then of course, is Jason's blocking ability, which some would argue is the reason he is still out there, anyway.

Now, I don't want to get into arguments with any of yall, I am not proficient in football speak, and undoubtedly could never get into a deep discussion with any of you, very respectively, football minded folk, who astound me with all of the knowledge you all possess, just stating my opinion of Jason Witten's worth. I had to stand up and speak my peace about him. He is worth having and worth keeping. And I hope some day when he retires, he stays on as one of our coaches. And there is no reason on Earth why we should even ponder getting rid of him yet. And for heaven's sake, Please keep Escobar! Let Witten continue to be his mentor, because if we can hold on to This dude, he will be our prize one day. Escy has a lot to offer, but he still is learning from the master. Let the protege learn, and let the master teach. And let's get together in a year or two and talk then. I say let Jason Witten retire on his own with dignity and class, just like the man he is, and not force him out prematurely because we are desperate for something to change. Canning Witten will not change a thing for us.

:)

Bluefin

Reaction score
Having said that can we afford his salary next year?

Yes.

Jason Witten will have the 6th highest cap number ($8.512M) next year before any moves are made.

But all five of the cap numbers above Witten are going to change.

1. Tony Romo ($27.773M) His contract is meant to be restructured, which will create $12M (maybe more, maybe less) depending on how much base salary get converted to a signing bonus. $15M on Romo's $17M base salary will already be fully guaranteed if he's on the roster next year, which I why I use that amount in my restructure.

2. Tyron Smith ($13.093M) His base salary is fully guaranteed, an indication the team plans on converting most of it into a signing bonus in order to lower his cap number. $8.2352M in cap room can be created next year with Smith's contract. The team will also have the option to do this again with his contract in 2016.

3. Brandon Carr ($12.717M) He's probably going to get cut using the June designation to spread the dead money over two years. The savings ($7.49M after adding a contract to replace him) won't take effect on the cap until June 2nd, but that shouldn't be an issue.

4. Doug Free ($11.02M) His contract is written to void following this season, which would result in a cap savings of $6.53M after adding a new contract to take his spot. The team can try to negotiate a new contract with Free before his deal voids but this is his last chance to get paid on the open market. Free lost $7M over the last two seasons after agreeing to a pay cut, free agency is his best bet to make it back.

5. Henry Melton ($9.25025M) He has a three year team option that must be picked up prior to the off-season starting or he will become a free agent. Letting Melton become a free agent will clear $7.9895M in cap space. Maybe Melton will agree to a new deal beforehand, but he also has $7.5M base salaries in 2016 and 2017. I see no reason to keep him with Tyrone Crawford already starting.

Excluding Carr, whose savings don't count until June 2nd, the other four moves can create $34.7547M in immediate cap space next year. Another $7.49M would get added on when the Carr release takes effect on the cap June 2nd.

The Cowboys will also carryover any unused cap space from this season, which stands at $9.792M right now. That amount will decrease going forward for multiple reasons, but we should carryover a decent amount.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score

:clap:Well done

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Yes.

Jason Witten will have the 6th highest cap number ($8.512M) next year before any moves are made.

1. Tony Romo ($27.773M) His contract is meant to be restructured, which will create $12M (maybe more, maybe less) depending on how much base salary get converted to a signing bonus. $15M on Romo's $17M base salary will already be fully guaranteed if he's on the roster next year, which I why I use that amount in my restructure.

2. Tyron Smith ($13.093M) His base salary is fully guaranteed, an indication the team plans on converting most of it into a signing bonus in order to lower his cap number. $8.2352M in cap room can be created next year with Smith's contract. The team will also have the option to do this again with his contract in 2016.

3. Brandon Carr ($12.717M) He's probably going to get cut using the June designation to spread the dead money over two years. The savings ($7.49M after adding a contract to replace him) won't take effect on the cap until June 2nd, but that shouldn't be an issue.

4. Doug Free ($11.02M) His contract is written to void following this season, which would result in a cap savings of $6.53M after adding a new contract to take his spot. The team can try to negotiate a new contract with Free before his deal voids but this is his last chance to get paid on the open market. Free lost $7M over the last two seasons after agreeing to a pay cut, free agency is his best bet to make it back.

5. Henry Melton ($9.25025M) He has a three year team option that must be picked up prior to the off-season starting or he will become a free agent. Letting Melton become a free agent will clear $7.9895M in cap space. Maybe Melton will agree to a new deal beforehand, but he also has $7.5M base salaries in 2016 and 2017. I see no reason to keep him with Tyrone Crawford already starting.

Excluding Carr, whose savings don't count until June 2nd, the other four moves can create $34.7547M in immediate cap space next year. Another $7.49M would get added on when the Carr release takes effect on the cap June 2nd.

The Cowboys will also carryover any unused cap space from this season, which stands at $9.792M right now. That amount will decrease going forward for multiple reasons, but we should carryover a decent amount.

Who ON THAT LIST deserves his money more than the others? Who's been more reliable?

Bluefin

Reaction score
Who ON THAT LIST deserves his money more than the others? Who's been more reliable?

Players deserve whatever they can get, it's a brutal game.

Cap or no cap, they usually get released when their paycheck overshadows their production.

The only players I know will get paid to be Dallas Cowboys next year are Tony Romo and Tyron Smith.

Doug Free might return, but we'll have to see if an agreement can be reached before his contract voids. I don't think we will overpay to keep Free if he reaches the open market.

Henry Melton and Brandon Carr are gone.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes.

Take a bow.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I have been saying the same , JW has been great but his YAC has disappeared for 2-3 years , it's a shame a TE can't even break a tackle long enough to get a single yard for a 1st down . His blocking is still good but sometime they overestimate , like him blocking JPP alone , also I remember in that botched playoff game Ray Allen made a mincemeat of him on way to Romo .

if they really believe Escobar ( if not wonder why a 2nd round pick was invested) they need to let him have more snaps so that we can see if he has it and his speed and reach will be a definite help , in the thanksgiving game the speed differential between the teams was so apparent.

At the same time I'm for giving more snaps for Street than Williams , as street was supposed to be a better route runner

He's never been a high YAC guy. You don't have a career average of 11.1 yards/catch while geting tons of yards after the catch.

Witten's numbers are down because - shockingly - his targets are down. Witten was target 111 times last year, 147 in 2012. 65 targets this year.

His targets are down because - bigger surprise here - Romo's attempts are down. Dallas is on pace for 100 fewer attempts than last year, 170 fewer attempts than 2012. 6 less attempts per game compared to last year, 11 less compared to 2012.

Pretty simple. Dallas is running much better than before and as a consequence they aren't passing as much. Also, the improved running has pretty much made it unnecessary to supplement the failed running game with short quick dunks to the sideline.

People say he's in decline. I just wanna know from what position? It's not like he has ever been some athletic world wonder. He's always been a guy who's gotten open with his technique.