It's about that time ladies and gents, hang it up on Jason Witten

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by acer941, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

36,582 Messages
    6,250 Likes Received
    Tyron's 2015 salary is guaranteed because it's only year 2 of his contract.

Neither of these contracts should be restructured, and it would be monumentally foolish to do so with Tyron.

2. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

2,444 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    Nice. Exactly what I was thinking. If Romo's attempts were down but Wittens targets remained the same (or increased) we'd have a bunch of TO's on here complaining Romo and Witten were having private meetings and creating plays.

3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

76,716 Messages
    45,246 Likes Received
    Nice post Hoof.

4. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

14,480 Messages
    8,001 Likes Received
    that usually happens when you have a RB who is killing the league running the ball. Stats are going to be down. Witten is like having a 6th OL out there blocking on run plays if you havent noticed.

5. iceberg

iceberg rock music matters Zone Supporter

33,302 Messages
    6,379 Likes Received
    And discussion of said "opinion" will be a part of that. I dont know why....

6. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Zone Supporter

5,175 Messages
    3,940 Likes Received
    Nice!!

7. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Professional Positive Naysayer

1,378 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    Could it be that we need more creative sets? I would like to see Escobar, Hanna, Witten and Dez on the field. I want to see 3 TE set and see what teams do. I think Hanna and Escobar can stretch the field. Witten still has good hands and Dez...well Dez is Dez. He could be that X factor that draws a double coverage. I think you could run out this set and play action pass as well. Just my opinion.

8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

44,594 Messages
    44,265 Likes Received
    Why?

They could franchise Dez and restructure Romo or Tyron to make it work OR they could sign Dez long term and push money from his contract into future years. Either way there would be money pushed forward. It doesn't matter who's contract is pushing the money forward.

A team is operating at a disadvantage if they don't push any money into future years. Obviously, there is a reasonable limit and they should go max restructure and push every possible dollar into the future, but in general pushing money into the future is an advantage.

9. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

5,340 Messages
    2,091 Likes Received
    Do you mean "hang up the cleats?"

10. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Well-Known Member

5,371 Messages
    3,190 Likes Received
    Witten is not a seam TD type TE. He's a possession/blocker.

In the end as long as he can continue to block he will be here.

11. Hoofbite

36,582 Messages
    6,250 Likes Received
    Nobody is operating at a disadvantage by not restructuring.

The league as a whole doesn't just blindly push money into future. Many teams don't even spend all the free space they have. In that case, I think you'd be hard pressed to find the advantage in doing it as a standard of practice when most teams don't even need to in the first place.

12. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

12,768 Messages
    3,568 Likes Received
    I think it's time for the GM to hang up his cleets. Pat him on the back and tell him what a good job he did.

13. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

9,175 Messages
    10,793 Likes Received
    I'm not opposed. I think this offense would be a lot more explosive if we had a TE who could stretch the field.

14. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

12,768 Messages
    3,568 Likes Received
    Martellus Bennett's having a good year. We nailed that 2nd round pick.

15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

44,594 Messages
    44,265 Likes Received
    All teams give players signing bonuses that lower the initial early years cap hits. What teams have a large amount of unused space under the cap? The Jaguars?

The Patriots have less 2015 cap space than the Cowboys.

Yes, it's not impossible to have a good team without excessively pushing money into the future, but there is not big advantage to not doing it.

As long as a team does not go over the certain amount, then the money in the future never really comes due. It does come due to specific players but is offset by pushing other player's money into the future.

I've posted extensively about this in past years. Basically there is a current spend amount that is different than the cap hit amount for each team. The simple example is a team that was 50M over the cap in year 1 and then only spent within the cap in all future years. Each year that 50M was pushed forward and each prior year it appeared that they were 50M over the cap in the upcoming year.

Cap Limit 100M
    Year 1 spend 150M, push forward 50M to year 2 to get under the cap
    Year 2 50M from previous year plus 100M current spend, must push 50M forward again
    Year 3 repeat of year 2

It's a very simplistic example with the push forward only being 1 year at a time, but it illustrates why the push forward money never actually comes due. Since there is no interest on the money pushed forward, there is no disadvantage to doing it.

Now if the current spend is over the cap limit, then the 50M number will increase each year and would not be sustainable.

The bottom line is that people see the salary cap like business or personal finances, but it's just not the same. Pushing money forward is a zero interest loan that get paid off each year with a new zero interest loan. It never really comes due unless the current spend exceeds the cap and the Cowboys have not been doing that most years.

In 2014 of the ~130M salary cap, only about 102M was current spend. The rest was push forward money.

16. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

7,302 Messages
    7,617 Likes Received
    Both are going to be restructured.

Foolhardy or not, this is how Dallas manages its salary cap.

And there is no reason not to restructure Tyron Smith, he's young and isn't going anywhere.

It would be foolish not to.

Tony Romo is an injury risk, but he can be released for a savings with the June tag in 2016 even with a restructure next year.

17. nalam

nalam The realist

4,586 Messages
    1,787 Likes Received
    Agreed Jason Was never a huge YAC guy, but that wasn't the point, in this era of Rob Grownaski and Graham as TEs , we need a TE who is a bit explosive , if you are watching patriots and GB game you can see Rob as explosive as ever , taking couple of Guys into almost to the goal lines, where as 260lb JW falls straight tackled by a 180lb DB. The whole point was making our offense explosive , especially we know , Escobar adds that element, also we have invested a 2nd round pick

18. Hoofbite

36,582 Messages
    6,250 Likes Received
    Over half the league is set to have $18M or more in 2015. May be before carry over amounts are even considered.

There is no advantage to freeing up cap space that isn't inherently present for teams that have cap space without pushing money forward.

Saying its a "zero interest loan" sounds great but you should probably also start looking at your purchase in terms of depreciating value. Older players produce less, and pushing money shifts cap allocations to future years. Basically you're using more cap dollars for less production down the line.

What that looks like in practical terms is a cap figure that is too high to justify, players leaving for other teams, and dead money on the books. Also looks like not resigning players who are productive.

Perhaps these scenarios sound familiar?

The Jones boys spoke frequently about the position they were in the offseason. What they said sure wasn't the "I laugh at the cap garbage" they were spouting a few years ago.

Wonder what changed....

19. Hoofbite

36,582 Messages
    6,250 Likes Received
    That's how they have managed the cap in the past but the fact that they didn't restructure Carr and Ware should give pause to the notion that they'll continue to do so as the default method of managing the cap.

If they restructure Tyron next year, in what year will they not restructure him? His cap hits over the next 4 seasons are pretty much unchanged. They restructure all of those years as well?

20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

76,716 Messages
    45,246 Likes Received
    This is a thread about Jason Witten. What you posted is straight up trolling. Please stop.