Jake Ferguson has the potential to be a Pro Bowl fixture

goshan

Reaction score
Nah! Remember at the same point in his career, Jason ran down the field without a helmet against these same Philthy Eagles.
Witten was faster at Jake's age, and got better separation overall.
Ferguson is tougher and may have a better catch radius. He's a more explosive athlete.
But yeah you can't claim he is another Witten yet.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Yeah people forget Witten was fast and a beast. Witten ran a legit 4.65 while Jake ran a 4.77. I guess people remember Witten at the end of his career where he looked super stiff.
Witten was basically a Gronk clone. Height-weight-speed wise, they were identical. And both could block out the sun and truck through DB tackle attempts.

Ferguson is really good, but Witten was an all timer.

goshan

Reaction score
Witten was basically a Gronk clone. Height-weight-speed wise, they were identical. And both could block out the sun and truck through DB tackle attempts.

Witten hasn't nearly the tackle breaker that Gronk was.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Dude I disagree that is not what Witten was gronk was much more athletic and I'd say that Ferguson's closer to gronk, Witten is an all timer but he is an old school all time tight end.... If schoonmaker becomes anything he has that body and flow to the game that Jason Witten has I think that you're mistaking the greatness in different ways there is no way Jason Whitten is like gronk....

Jason Witten was your prototypical prostyle tight end and I'm telling you Ferguson is more athletic he's closer to Kelce and Gronk.... I think mark Andrews might look a lot more like Jason Witten..

Last edited:

DenCWBY

Reaction score
He is very well rounded as a reciever, you attack the seem with him. You can have him catch that slant or drag in traffic. You can dump it off and have him pick up yards after the catch. Most importantly I think the talent is there for him to do these on a level where DC's try to take him away.

And dude is just a player. You see teams so often take TE's in the top 64 and have them be Noah Fant. I mean he is good, and stuff. When you have a Noah Fant, well at least you have a Noah Fant. But those guys eat leftovers like Shultz did. I think in Ferguson, we have a guy that could really become a catalytic player
Ferg also brings some meanness and attitude to the offense which was definitely needed given the snowflake look we had against SF early on. Watch his RAC as he doesn't go down until 2 or 3 D players touch him. Then he gets up and struts in the face of the opposing D. He gave Blanketship a concussion last night and frustrated the heck out of the Seattle LB's. You need attitude (like kittle) as a TE and Ferg brings the mustard!!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Schoonmaker is an exceptional athlete at the TE position. He isn't going anywhere and the Cowboys would be in their glory if they had 2 amazing tight ends on their roster.
Martellus Bennett was also an exceptional athlete at the TE position. Schoonmaker won’t see a second contract with the team. There’s a lot of exceptional athletes that don’t turn into good football players.

CWR

Reaction score
Yeah people forget Witten was fast and a beast. Witten ran a legit 4.65 while Jake ran a 4.77. I guess people remember Witten at the end of his career where he looked super stiff.
His early highlights are wild from what most of us remember. Once he got going he was not easy to catch and even harder to bring down.

CWR

Reaction score
Witten was faster at Jake's age, and got better separation overall.
Ferguson is tougher and may have a better catch radius. He's a more explosive athlete.
But yeah you can't claim he is another Witten yet.
Witten was tough as nails, but more reserved than Ferguson.

Fergy goes looking for it, and appears to enjoy the heat.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
He is very well rounded as a reciever, you attack the seem with him. You can have him catch that slant or drag in traffic. You can dump it off and have him pick up yards after the catch. Most importantly I think the talent is there for him to do these on a level where DC's try to take him away.

And dude is just a player. You see teams so often take TE's in the top 64 and have them be Noah Fant. I mean he is good, and stuff. When you have a Noah Fant, well at least you have a Noah Fant. But those guys eat leftovers like Shultz did. I think in Ferguson, we have a guy that could really become a catalytic player
I’m not missing Dalton Schultz

Chasing6

Reaction score
Martellus Bennett was also an exceptional athlete at the TE position. Schoonmaker won’t see a second contract with the team. There’s a lot of exceptional athletes that don’t turn into good football players.
And we did not use him enough in my opinion.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Like you said the potential is there.
He's just gotta keep working on his game.
I like our chances.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
His early highlights are wild from what most of us remember. Once he got going he was not easy to catch and even harder to bring down.
I found this 14 year old highlight video on Youtube. Recorded in 240p quality with a questionable soundtrack, like all good highlight reels should have.

Witten is catching passes from Vinny Testaverde of all people, and he's a YAC beast.

Reactions: CWR