Jason Garrett on the open market

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He may very well have or maybe had but at the end of the day he has been an mediocre coach in the league, the results speak for themselves, a GM would say, in 3.5 years you had a .500 record, no playoff appearances with a roster of players like Romo, Murray, Dez, Smith, Witten, Austin, Ware, Lee, Carr, Mo, Spencer, Hatcher, Ratliff etc. And really nothing to show for, not even improvement year by year?
I think he could be a QB coach or maybe an OC but not so sure about that.

It's a hypothetical, so we can't say for sure, but I believe most football guys can take one look at our tape and know why we lose games to better teams. It's pretty obvious.

Reactions: Coy

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
If he were truly as smart as his college degree from Princeton implies, then he would head to college and become an OC there.

Build a resume, learn from a great head coach, and then see if he has a career in college.

Exactly. Garrett is young enough that he has time, but he clearly has a lot to learn about being a head coach.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I think he'd end up with the choices of picking up a QB coach role in the NFL or taking an OC NCAA gig but I think he'd be too stubborn to take the college role. He should just teach football camps or something as he is a smart articulate guy who gets the "book" part of the game...he just cant apply it to a team or game day.

Coy

Reaction score
It's a hypothetical, so we can't say for sure, but I believe most football guys can take one look at our tape and know why we lose games to better teams. It's pretty obvious.

Game Management :)

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score

The better question will be why we lose games to worse teams.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

A big part of what they would see is a simplistic and consistently underachieving offense. That's not very good tape.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
QB coach if he is lucky
no NFL team would touch him as HC or OC
no top college program will touch him as HC

You'd be surprised. Coaching is tight fraternity, and I'm sure JG has a lot of friends and coaches/administrators that he's tight with. Besides, Pasqualoni got hired at UConn. Callahan got the head gig with Nebraska after falling apart at Oakland. Greg Knapp kept getting OC jobs. Plus, Garrett's a phenomenal interview. He'd get hired somewhere. Not saying it'd be a good hire, but it would happen.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He'd end up an OC, or he'd maybe drop down to college. He'd have to put in a few years in that capacity, but he'd be a consideration for interviews for small market openings eventually. He'd interview well and get another shot at some point. Fan opinions in Dallas aside, he's got a really good reputation in the league, and several prominent former and current coaches have alluded to as much.

You mean people in actual football circles who actually have interacted with JG have a higher opinion of him than irrational fans who watch the games on Sunday and never have any idea what a play was when it was called in, what were the options, what were they scheming against, where the failure in excecution happened and what the day to day is like at Valley Ranch?

Tell me more.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
Let's say Garrett got served his walking papers Monday morning. After yet another 8-8 season Jerry had enough and decided to move on.

Where would he end up? In what capacity?

No shot he gets another HC gig, right?

He would be an excellent broadcaster. I don't think coaching suits him but he would be great in the booth or in the studio. Articulate, understands the game, been around big time players...

Dodger12

Reaction score
These guys would never miss out on another Garrett....they'd rue the day.

yoUDee_football.gif.aspx

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Well if I'm an owner looking for a coach I can slap around a bit, you bet I'll call Garrett.

Take away his play calling, no worries.. fire his brother, piece of cake.. me as team spokesman, yes sir may I have another.

No question, if I'm looking for a guy who has absolutely no spine and is willing to eat anything i put on his high chair then i call Garrett the second he is available.

I can be defacto coach just like Jerry.

Garretts' opportunity was last off season when they took his play calling and axed his brother, it was the chance to show some damn pride and walkaway. Another NFL owner just might have said, you know what nobody could have won under those circumstances, I'll give this guy a shot.

Now no way. His decision making on and off the field screams passive loser.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
You have to remember that many see Jerry as holding Garrett back so who knows.........

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A big part of what they would see is a simplistic and consistently underachieving offense. That's not very good tape.

I don't think that's a fair appraisal of our offense.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
He's like his father. He'll stick around the people that put him in these positions either way and when they come calling again, he'll be right there.
This is the answer. He'll catch on somewhere because so many people in this league hire their friends and people they know.

I think he's very conscious of having a job in football for the rest of his life. That's why every coach and every player he ever mentions is a really really good football coach and has been for a really really long time.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
Let's say Garrett got served his walking papers Monday morning. After yet another 8-8 season Jerry had enough and decided to move on.

Where would he end up? In what capacity?

No shot he gets another HC gig, right?

Maybe at small college Division 2 team.

I think he stays and if another year goes by and there is no W/L improvement happens but the roster and cap improve..

Garrett gets kicked up stairs to help Stephen and Jerrah run things..

and another coach gets a shot.

Garrett could even get the GM job we have all said should be filled.

Ya think?