Twitter: Jason Witten Wants to Coach

birdwells1

Reaction score
No question.

Garrett has ridden on the Cowboys as his resume.

His background is as a backup QB and assistant coach with no visibility as far as having had an impact for his coaching stops.

So Jerrah believes he can recycle Garrett into a successful coach with his leadership?

Maybe if you started with better experiences coaches who didn't require so much on the job training.
Absolutely they have condition us to believe that if he played for the cowboys then coaching for the organization is a no brainer.
When in fact we should be looking at coaches with a wealth of varying experiences. If we keep hiring guys out of this system the we're going to keep getting what we've been getting.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Absolutely they have condition us to believe that if he played for the cowboys then coaching for the organization is a no brainer.
When in fact we should be looking at coaches with a wealth of varying experiences. If we keep hiring guys out of this system the we're going to keep getting what we've been getting.
The fact so many of our former player have been taken to start their post playing careers is admirable.

but there is a danger to that.

You said it.

I would like Ken Norton as our DC. But I think he wants a HC gig and not sure how things ended for him here.

Doing a good job with the 9ers from what I see.

birdwells1

Reaction score
The fact so many of our former player have been taken to start their post playing careers is admirable.

but there is a danger to that.

You said it.

I would like Ken Norton as our DC. But I think he wants a HC gig and not sure how things ended for him here.

Doing a good job with the 9ers from what I see.
Many of our former players start coaching for the cowboys at a level higher than deserved. They dont get these type of position elsewhere.

Kellen Moore 1 year qb coach next year oc.
JG 1 year qb coach next year oc.

No varying experiences to fall back on just the cowboy way.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Why is it obvious that Jason will be? What says that he can coach, reach players? Yall act like because you were a good player doesnt mean that you're going to be a good coach.
I didn’t mean would be a good coach. I meant he would be a hall of famer. That’s why I asked what hall of fame players were good coaches

Cmac

Reaction score
Would be a fantastic TE coach. Nobody knows the nuances of the position better than Witten. I'd be all in on Witten as the 2020 TE coach, but first we got to get some tight ends to coach.
….We had Jarwin's plays diminished, development hampered, and experience diminished…..now we gonna teach him to get below the sticks on 3rd down? Witt must need money.

nobody

Reaction score
Surely he was talking about TE coach, not HC
He may be a good coach but he has no business starting as a HC
I think Romo has a brilliant football mind and could be a great OC, but I wouldn’t hire him as a HC

Yeah, Romo doesn't have the mentality to ever be a HC... a brilliant OC would be his ceiling. I don't think Witten could ever be a HC either nor an OC.. he MIGHT do okay as a TE coach, but how many years did he blow off younger guys? It's only recently that he started sharing his knowledge, from what I gather. I don't know. He knows a lot about the position.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
up to the new HC
Hope Jerry doesnt prematurely hire any coaches before the new HC
Jerry can't him himself. He will probably make it a stipulation for the next head coach that he has to work with Moore. Can't let the offensive mind get away. He made the same mistake with Garrett back in the day.