Video: Jaylon Smith running, stopping & cutting video

terra

Reaction score
pe
It's easy on a practice field without numerous players coming at him. Even in this 3 second clip he still looks a little gimpy.
People see what they WANT to see.

I notice NONE of this so called gimpy crap is ever spoken of outside of this forum. Not ESPN, anywhere else have I ever read anything like that. ONLY HERE.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
Dallas has enough now for him to just play down hill. don't ask him to do everything.

Scotman

Reaction score
I don't hate the guy. I've never liked the whole "branding" thing, but understand it's a big part of the modern world. And, these kind of videos are fine...I can't do that stuff. But, from an untrained eye, I don't see anything that any other professional LB coudn't do. The reality is that he wasn't a difference maker last year. He seemed to be tackling from behind on every single play..reactive and not proactive. Maybe the injury is the issue. Maybe it was the defensive game plan. Can we call what I watched last year a "game plan?" Maybe it was the lack of talent in front of him. Maybe it's his ability to read plays. Maybe it's all of the above. Truth is, for me, all the maybes in the world don't matter. He just looked bad...for whatever reason...for all the reasons.

If we are ever going to get to where we want to be, someone has to be a difference maker. Someone needs to not have any reason to not be the guy. Someone needs to be the guy who removes everyone else's reasons. So far, it doesn't look like he's the guy.

Man, though, I'd sure like to be wrong.

Big_D

Reaction score
pe

I notice NONE of this so called gimpy crap is ever spoken of outside of this forum. Not ESPN, anywhere else have I ever read anything like that. ONLY HERE.

Gimpy crap?? lol . He favors the leg, doesn't take on blocks and it's a problem. ESPN don't care who is playing LB for the Cowboys. But I'm happy in those 2 seconds with an open practice field that you saw exactly what you needed to see.

InTheZone

Reaction score
pe

ESPN is too busy with their pandering points and talking up players. There are literal sheep reporting in copy/paste fashion what others talk about on tv. Critiques seem like a no no unless it's about some QB everyone was ready to openly dislike.

You can believe only here Jaylon Smith gets called out, but you might be fooling yourself if you believe that's true.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This isn't particularly impressive, he's still way choppy.

But Jaylon's problem isn't movement, it's recognition and diagnosis.

He reminds me of Bob Breunig, past Cowboys linebacker. Bob was pretty good, made 3 Pro Bowls, but I remember watching him play and he was way too often out of position, I can remember yelling at the television when he went left and the play went right, and so forth. Could have had a 2 yard gain instead of a 10 yard gain by the opposing running back, if only he'd been at the right spot.

And sadly, I don't think that's something a player learns later in his playing career, if he can learn it he'll do it in college, not the pros...

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He reminds me of Bob Breunig, past Cowboys linebacker. Bob was pretty good, made 3 Pro Bowls, but I remember watching him play and he was way too often out of position, I can remember yelling at the television when he went left and the play went right, and so forth. Could have had a 2 yard gain instead of a 10 yard gain by the opposing running back, if only he'd been at the right spot.

And sadly, I don't think that's something a player learns later in his playing career, if he can learn it he'll do it in college, not the pros...
Yea I have 0 faith in him improving. He has been the same player since he was a rookie.

Unfortunately, he didn't show as much of that in college.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least he’s working. I bet some NFL guys are just resting up, waiting for training camp.

However, at this point there really is no other way to salvage public opinion on Smith than him getting on the field, playing at a high level and helping the defense play well.

Fans don’t want talk. They don’t want videos of work outs. They don’t want speaking engagements or autograph signings. They want production. They want sacks, TFL’s, hard hits and 3 & outs. No swipes to fire up the defense. No dancing with opponents.

Just play well. Just make us proud. And he will be welcomed back into the open arms of Cowboy Nation. Open admiration, cheering fans, and as many post retirement employment opportunities as one could want.

It is all there to be had. Just do it.

He’s certainly at a career crossroads and things can go one of two ways. I’m glad to see him working hard, it tells me he realizes it and is putting in the effort to have the positive outcome.

KDM256

Reaction score
Still pulling for this kid to make a lot of CZ fans on here eat crow this upcoming season.

Jaylon will finish top 5 in tackles once again, will play every game for the Cowboys and will make the pro bowl this season.

Pretty much do all the things Sean Lee fragile *** couldn't do on a consistent basis for the Cowboys.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Big Whoop! Thankfully, if Jaylon's performance doesn't improve this year then Dallas can get out from under the contract in 2022 w/relative ease.

There will be just $6.8 million in dead money left, giving the Cowboys about $5 million cap savings if Smith is released. Please let/make it happen Jerry!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Big Whoop! Thankfully, if Jaylon's performance doesn't improve this year then Dallas can get out from under the contract in 2022 w/relative ease.

There will be just $6.8 million in dead money left, giving the Cowboys about $5 million cap savings if Smith is released. Please let/make it happen Jerry!

Only if he doesn't improve, if he does improve I'd just as soon he stayed here, his contract runs for 4 more years, at least the Cowboys will know what his hit will be, and the cap is probably going way up with the new tv contract, so it won't be prohibitive even if he's not a Pro Bowl level player. But he has to improve over last year, no doubt about that...