Twitter: Jerry: "If we got them talking about us, we’re doing our job.”

Sydla

Reaction score
He didn't say that. Don't put words in his mouth.

Ehhhh, I think he puts way more value in being at the forefront of the news, bad or good, than you guys seem to think.

This is where the lines blur for him as the owner/GM. A GM doesn't give a **** about if they are always in the news or making money or getting tons of PR. They don't make moves with that in mind, they make moves to try to build a great roster and contend for championships. Sure the owner wants to win too but he has other driving factors, one being make as much money as they can and if being talked about constantly is viewed as good PR and makes money, all the better.

Hence why Jerry the GM and Jerry the Owner have produced jack squat for two and half decades. At times, they can have divergent beliefs on what's best for the franchise.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ehhhh, I think he puts way more value in being at the forefront of the news, bad or good, than you guys seem to think.

This is where the lines blur for him as the owner/GM. A GM doesn't give a **** about if they are always in the news or making money or getting tons of PR. They don't make moves with that in mind, they make moves to try to build a great roster and contend for championships. Sure the owner wants to win too but he has other driving factors, one being make as much money as they can and if being talked about constantly is viewed as good PR and makes money, all the better.

Hence why Jerry the GM and Jerry the Owner have produced jack squat for two and half decades. His quote here sums up the problem quite nicely.

Exactly, which is why I think a lot of people are responding the way that we are. I think that his statement was an alienating statement that a lot of fans would view as insulting. I think we all know that owners want their teams discussed and earning large sums of money. I don't think anyone is upset by that. I think where we are upset is the notion that Jerry just reinforced with his statements, in which some franchises seem more built towards that than winning championships. Ironically, winning championships would help with longevity in this manner. You can only go so long with Jerry's business model before fans start tuning out.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
But we knew this...

So maybe they had peters locked in last thur, but decided to wait to say anything, just so people would wonder, complain, and talk about it?
media people like fish will do a video about it etc.

This does prove what many have said here, that jerry mainly wants to keep cowboys relevant, not make them champions.
He wants them to be competitive, and dazzling, and talked about more than he wants championships.
He also likes having stars that are talked about, remember the dak contract thing that went on for years, and climaxed with a big signing, big contract,
big speeches ! lol
Now that whole thing is what made me sick of dak, not his play or salary. I just got tired of talking about him and hearing about him, a dak overdose.

But if this is what jerry thinks his job is, and this is his main goal, then he wins the SB of being talked about most, pretty much every year.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
The OP shared a quote and said something to the effect of "We already knew this"... I took it to mean we already knew Jerry's interests as an owner superseded his interests as a GM. There isn't anything false or malicious about that.

That is BS. Jerry the owner would gladly buy the Super Bowl championship every single year. The Salary Cap prevents him from doing it. After the demise of the triplets, and spending 3 years in Cap-hell, Jerry hired a 2x Super Bowl Championship coach in Parcells. Parcells retired one year too soon, as the 2007 Cowboys were Super Bowl ready, but Wade Phillips screwed it up.

For years and years, starting with Joey Galloway in 2000, Jerry would spend gawd-awful amounts on veteran free agents in an attempt to buy a championship. It was only after years of failure with Larry Lacewell that he allowed Stephen, who by that time had 17 years of NFL front office experience, to convince him that doing it through the draft was a better way. And then he stood by Garrett as coach for years. If Garrett had not turned around a 1-7 team to go 5-3 in the second half of 2010, Jerry likely would have tried to hire another big name coach. If the Cowboys had not been real Super Bowl contenders in 2014, or if Dak and Elliott had not exploded in 2016, I bet Jerry would have gotten rid of Garrett sooner than he did. Finally he did get rid of Garrett, and went out hired another SB winning Coach in McCarthy.

Jerry cares a lot about making money. A whole lot. If you want to knock him for that, I suggest exporting yourself to a communist country.

Jerry the GM would buy a championship if he could. He's NEVER been afraid of paying star players, and star coaches.

But since he cannot buy a championship, he's stuck. That doesn't mean that the fans care more Jerry does about championships. It just means that the fans don't care if Jerry makes money. Frankly, I don't care if Jerry makes money. It's not my job to care if Jerry makes money. That's his job, not mine. But IT IS HIS JOB to also care about making money. Although I don't care a whit about how much money Jerry makes, I don't blame him for caring.

I care about how much money I make, and I'm sure every fan cares about how much money they make to support their lives. I don't blame me for caring about my salary, and I don't blame any fan for caring about their own salary. And I don't blame Jerry for caring about his money, either.

A rational adult can separate Jerry's care about his money and his care about winning championships. The two are NOT mutually exclusive. I don't expect Jerry to stop caring about his money. I do find it silly to believe Jerry cares less about championships than any fan does, though. I sincerely doubt any of us want another championship more than Jerry does.

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yeah, having seen what Jerry said, I am convinced that SAS doesn't actually hate the Cowboys. He's just giving Jerry what he wants. The more he talks about us, the higher his ratings go, and the higher value the Cowboys get in money. So, it's a win win for them.

Oh, they all work together. What convinced me was the drama with "will or won't the Cowboys draft Johnny Manziel" and Jerry's after story of needing the draft card taken from his hand when, if Jerry wanted him, we were taking him. The manufactured drama was good for all involved though. Fear for fans, glee for rivals and a big nothing in the end. I couldn't look away though and that's what they wanted, lol.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You can only go so long with Jerry's business model before fans start tuning out
yeah you would think that, but fans keep going to games and buying merch. and as long as that occurs it is working.
Some fans will tune out , give up, lose interest, but more new fans take their place.

I think jerry gives avg fans enough hope, or that this is the year lol, that they just keep filling the stadium, so this could go on thru 2050!

what is needed is a fan protest where by all home games are half empty for a whole season !! that would change jerrys tune, but it wont ever happen.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Jerry sure does love himself some Jerry. He has basically become the exact opposite of people who you think of as synonymous with winning. Coaches like Red Auerbach or Tom Landry. Players like Tim Duncan or Tom Brady. Jerry is the exact opposite. He is a total clown show. Nothing about this franchise points towards a winning culture anymore. It is a complete and utter ego stroking self branding circle jerk.

If the Cowboys had been to 9 Super Bowls and won 6 of them in the past 20 years, fans would see Jerry's talkative nature as endearing. It's not his talking that really, really bothers people. It is the lack of winning.

I grow exceedingly tired of fans complaining about Jerry talking about his team. What do you expect him to do? He became a billionaire by talking up his company, same as Elon Musk talking up SpaceX and Tesla, same as Steve Jobs talking up Apple, and same as Bill Gates talking up MicroSoft. I don't understand why any sane person would expect Jerry to stop talking about the Cowboys. He literally BOUGHT the right to talk about them as much as he wants. His talking is completely irrelevant to his lack of winning - which is the real issue.

I totally respect those who want to bash Jerry for not winning. I have no respect for those who bash Jerry for talking. That's just dumb...and immature. Grow up!

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
But since he cannot buy a championship, he's stuck. That doesn't mean that the fans care more Jerry does about championships. It just means that the fans don't care if Jerry makes money. Frankly, I don't care if Jerry makes money. It's not my job to care if Jerry makes money. That's his job, not mine. But IT IS HIS JOB to also care about making money. Although I don't care a whit about how much money Jerry makes, I don't blame him for caring.

I care about how much money I make, and I'm sure every fan cares about how much money they make to support their lives. I don't blame me for caring about my salary, and I don't blame any fan for caring about their own salary. And I don't blame Jerry for caring about his money, either.

A rational adult can separate Jerry's care about his money and his care about winning championships. The two are NOT mutually exclusive. I don't expect Jerry to stop caring about his money. I do find it silly to believe Jerry cares less about championships than any fan does, though. I sincerely doubt any of us want another championship more than Jerry does.
I see what your saying, but the average fan does not make 1 million per year, much less have billions in the bank.
Jerry has enough money to last a lifetime, and still frets over making more, and that is where it becomes an aberration, sickness, obsession .

He should be giving back to the society in which he made all that money, but he isnt doing that.

And sure if no salary cap, jerry would buy all the good players lol. but there is a cap, just for guys like jerry.
So on a level playing field where you cant buy it,or cheat, jerry cant compete, because he isnt smart enough, the last 26 years prove that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If the Cowboys had been to 9 Super Bowls and won 6 of them in the past 20 years, fans would see Jerry's talkative nature as endearing. It's not his talking that really, really bothers people. It is the lack of winning.

I grow exceedingly tired of fans complaining about Jerry talking about his team. What do you expect him to do? He became a billionaire by talking up his company, same as Elon Musk talking up SpaceX and Tesla. I don't understand why any sane person would expect Jerry to stop talking about the Cowboys. He BOUGHT the right to talk about them as much as he wants. His talking is completely irrelevant to his lack of winning - which is the real issue.

I totally respect those who want to bash Jerry for not winning. I have no respect for those who bash Jerry for talking. That's just dumb...and immature. Grow up!
it isnt that jerry is talking, it is what he says that fans bash him for.

let me ask you this.... for what reason should jerry have made the statement he made in op of this thread??
What was the point, other than bragging on himself, that he is doing a wonderful job ! lol

ESisback

Reaction score
Does Jerry care? Is Jerry cheap? Is Jerry dumb? Is Jerry the worst? This debate is SO worn out. CAN’T WAIT for the games to start!

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I see what your saying, but the average fan does not make 1 million per year, much less have billions in the bank.
Jerry has enough money to last a lifetime, and still frets over making more, and that is where it becomes an aberration, sickness, obsession .

He should be giving back to the society in which he made all that money, but he isnt doing that.

And sure if no salary cap, jerry would buy all the good players lol. but there is a cap, just for guys like jerry.
So on a level playing field where you cant buy it,or cheat, jerry cant compete, because he isnt smart enough, the last 26 years prove that.

You have no idea how much money Jerry gives away in a given year. Honestly. And neither any other fans. So complaining about his money just doesn't make sense to me. ALL of the NFL owners are either billionaires or close to it.

So, I completely respect it if you start a thread complaining Jerry isn't smart enough to win. Facts and history support that. The Ford family isn't smart enough either. There are a lot of NFL owners (e.g. Snyder) who aren't smart enough to win, but were still smart enough to buy into the sure thing financial decision to own an NFL franchise.

I just cannot respect complaints by fans who complain he makes too much money or talks too much. Neither of those two things has anything to do with winning, and if Jerry was a winner, most of the complaints about him talking a lot, and making a lot of money would just disappear - which just proves its not about his money or his mouth.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Fans need the illusion of the NFL being a sport. Comments like these from Jerry show that it is first and foremost a business.
There is one thing I have always said about him....you do not have to wonder what he thinks....he WILL tell you. And in spite of this...there are many fans that will go to the mat defending him....because they don't want to believe that he treats this as a business first. So you can't fault the man on this subject, because he has been honest about his primary motive.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
There is one thing I have always said about him....you do not have to wonder what he thinks....he WILL tell you. And in spite of this...there are many fans that will go to the mat defending him....because they don't want to believe that he treats this as a business first. So you can't fault the man on this subject, because he has been honest about his primary motive.

I defend his right to talk, and I defend his right to make money.

I don't defend his lack of winning. What possible defense can you make after nearly 3 decades of failing to make even an NFC championship game, much less a Super Bowl?

The problem I have is with fans who think he should go broke and shut up. That's just stupid.

Last edited:

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I defend his right to talk, and I defend his right to make money.

I don't defend his lack of winning. What possible defense can you make after nearly 3 decades of failing to make even an NFC championship game, much less a Super Bowl?

The problem I have is with fans who think he should go broke and shut up. That's just stupid.
Completely agree. I am just so exhausted arguing with fans that are still drunk from kool aid he served 15 years ago....let alone the kool aid he is selling today. I just go into seasons and games looking to hang out and watch games with family and friends. I have ZERO expectations.

Bermystar12

Reaction score
Jerry the owner is a fantastic guy. I love what he's built for the team and for his family, it is admirable. The problem though, is that he has taken the thing he has built and decided to play with it and treat it like a toy
That is BS. Jerry the owner would gladly buy the Super Bowl championship every single year. The Salary Cap prevents him from doing it. After the demise of the triplets, and spending 3 years in Cap-hell, Jerry hired a 2x Super Bowl Championship coach in Parcells. Parcells retired one year too soon, as the 2007 Cowboys were Super Bowl ready, but Wade Phillips screwed it up.

For years and years, starting with Joey Galloway in 2000, Jerry would spend gawd-awful amounts on veteran free agents in an attempt to buy a championship. It was only after years of failure with Larry Lacewell that he allowed Stephen, who by that time had 17 years of NFL front office experience, to convince him that doing it through the draft was a better way. And then he stood by Garrett as coach for years. If Garrett had not turned around a 1-7 team to go 5-3 in the second half of 2010, Jerry likely would have tried to hire another big name coach. If the Cowboys had not been real Super Bowl contenders in 2014, or if Dak and Elliott had not exploded in 2016, I bet Jerry would have gotten rid of Garrett sooner than he did. Finally he did get rid of Garrett, and went out hired another SB winning Coach in McCarthy.

Jerry cares a lot about making money. A whole lot. If you want to knock him for that, I suggest exporting yourself to a communist country.

Jerry the GM would buy a championship if he could. He's NEVER been afraid of paying star players, and star coaches.

Thanks for the response. Sorry you think my post was BS. I never once stated Jerry cares less than any fans. Nor did I say he doesn't care about winning. I said his interests as an owner (making money) supersede his interests as a GM (winning games). I also happen to agree, if I were him, making money would take precedent as well. Therefore, I would hope that I'd be of sound mind enough to allow someone else to handle the GM role, citing my conflict of interest.

I love chocolate cake and chocolate ice cream - each a whole lot. I love one more than the other. I hope this is easier to understand, and please don't refer to my posts as BS and then put words in my mouth. Call my post BS based on the merit of my words, not your translation of them.