CFZ Jerry Jones must trade for Derrick Henry

Sandyf

Reaction score
Henry would be a good addition. He helps with the runs up the middle and frees up Pollard on the outside. He is in the last year of his contract so from a salary cap point, he only cost $5.5 million for the rest of the year and Tennessee already has Spears who is poised to take over for Henry anyway. I wouldn't offer more than a third though or our second for Henry and a third.

It does change the dynamic of the offense and give more single coverage to Lamb, and the rest of the WR corp because the safeties will be more in the box to stop the run.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And I was wanting a RB in one of the first three or four rounds last year. I think it was clear that this team didn't have a replacement for Zeke on the roster that can fit what our oline needs. Pollard isn't a lead back. He's a very good back, but he's not your run up the middle consistently type. Unfortunately, we are where we are, and we have a team that should be able to compete. The way I see it, Jerry has two choices. Either stand Pat and let this season come to its predictable end while our fanbase quarrels among itself over a potentially shiny new toy that has no guarantee of working, or he can take a chance on a player that can fill one of the biggest weaknesses that the Cowboys have to at least try to compete with SFO, Philly, and KC. Thus, I wrote this thread because I want option 2. I want to see that he actually cares and is willing to at least try to put this team over the hump. I won't attack Jerry if the trade fails because he at least tried and took a good chance. I will, however, criticise him loudly if he stands pat and this season goes the way I think we all know it will go.
tony pollard was a fan favorite around here and got $10 million... if he was used correctly, he's supposed to be the guy... again our bigger problem is offensive line and scheme add in execution..

the kansas city chiefs had a running back by committee rolled with similar or a lot less talent and did very well last year did you miss the second half of that game they ran down the throats of that allegedly great defense with a very average backfield..imho.7th rounder leading the way

so it's more about scheme and execution by the offensive line

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jerry might remember the last time he brought in an SEC star, Heisman winner, downhill runner with size. Herschel Walker in 1986 comes to mind.
He didnt have to trade draft choices for the move, though. And that turned out fairly well, we recall, if for no other reason than the celebrated blockbuster trade to Minnesota in '89.
A trade with the Titans is plausible, but if Jerruh sends more than 2nd round picks and starters to Tennessee for Henry, Stephen and Charlotte should finally take his car keys and have him committed.

I agree that it shouldn't be more than a 2nd for him. If it's more than that, I wouldn't blame Jerry for walking away and trying someone else (maybe the Broncos). I just want to see him take a chance. We have a team that can compete, but it's missing one thing. It's like making a cake but forgetting the egg.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Jerry might remember the last time the Cowboys brought in an SEC star, Heisman winner, downhill runner with size. Herschel Walker in 1986 comes to mind.
The team didnt have to trade draft choices for the move, though. And that turned out fairly well, we recall, if for no other reason than the celebrated blockbuster trade to Minnesota in '89.
A trade with the Titans is plausible, but if Jerruh sends more than 2nd round picks and starters to Tennessee for Henry, Stephen and Charlotte should finally take his car keys and have him committed.
right given his age and money for henry no way more than one second round pick that's it.they want as player take malik davis that's fair They get a back, back. truthfully i don't think he's worth more than a 3.. age and money owed

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
If we would really use a RB by committee we would be fine. The constant use of pounding Pollard up the middle is just asinine. Use Rico and Hunter more often and keep Pollard fresh for what he did best, change of pace in space.

Nexx

Reaction score
if they trade him. they wont get much 5th maybe a 4th. Henry is exactly what this team needs. someone who can set the tone physically. physicality is what this team lacks. Go get him Jerry!

LysleE

Reaction score
Why would Derrick Henry even want to play for Dallas? The OL is in a state of flux; don’t think the “Texas Coast” offense is especially run heavy; and this staff would probably not utilize him properly.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Cooks has 13 targets in 5 games. McCarthy and his ultra conservative offense hasn't come close to figuring out how to use Cooks.
True, and maybe they will start using him more against LAR. That said, I still think so something has to be done. If Mike wants to be conservative, then adding a top RB might help him.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If we would really use a RB by committee we would be fine. The constant use of pounding Pollard up the middle is just asinine. Use Rico and Hunter more often and keep Pollard fresh for what he did best, change of pace in space.

Exactly, and tbf, Garrett couldn't work out how to make it work either. The Cowboys are not a RBBC team.

Mark

Reaction score
I'd move a small mountain to get Henry, if the goal is to make a run this year.

Right now, if Pollard gets hurt, this team doesn't win another game without him. RB is the #1 vulnerability.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
This is basically a twin thread to another thread that I made. That said, I think it's clear what needs to be done for the Cowboys to make a run this year. Jerry Jones must trade for Derrick Henry.

Our biggest weaknesses, as I see them, is oline play and our running game. I submit that our issue is congruent because we don't have a back that runs with the style that our running game plan. Consider that our oline core is accustomed to blocking for the likes of Demarco Murray, Darren McFadden, and Zeke. Now, they're being asked to block for the likes of Pollard, Dowdle, and Vaughn (I'd like for Luepke to be more involved, but that's for another thread). Pollard is not Murray or Zeke. He's a back who thrives on outside runs. If only there was a team on a fire sale that has a back that might fit our offense. Oh, that's right, the Titans just made a trade with Philly. Perhaps it's time Jerry shakes their tree to see if we can get Derrick Henry. I would see if they'd take Dowdle and a 2nd for Henry. I say second because, with our draft history, Jerry will probably waste our second round pick anyway. Trading Dowdle saves us the trouble of cutting him and making room for DH.

I think if Dallas makes this move, then it would become a move that could shift the balance in the NFC. The 49ers can't stop the run. The Eagles just traded for a safety. I think trading for Derrick Henry would be the perfect response for the Eagles move, and I think Derrick Henry, with our offense, can be the difference in us beating SFO. Perhaps that could be the big move that the Cowboys need?
We are not trading this year because we are in the upper echelon. No need to tweak or fiddle with that formula. Not my call but one our illustrious GM.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'd move a small mountain to get Henry, if the goal is to make a run this year.

Right now, if Pollard gets hurt, this team doesn't win another game without him. RB is the #1 vulnerability.
And it was the case before the season. It was glaring. It was the one spot in my mind where it was like "If it can be competent, we have a chance". Well, it's not enough. Now is the time to make it enough.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I started a similar thread about a week ago and it was almost immediately moved to another section. Was that because I didn't add any additional context or write an accompanying paragraph? Strange...