Jerry Jones says Cowboys will NOT draft QB with no. 4 pick *Super Hot Pants Mega Merge*

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I was pretty much of the belief that Dallas would skip on a QB with their 4th and now Jerry has come out and said it. So if Tunsil and Wentz will go 1-2 and Dallas can't trade back, that would leave one of the following guys available:

DeForest Buckner, DE
Joey Bosa, DE
Jalen Ramsey, CB/S
Myles Jack, LB
Ezekiel Elliot, RB

Who are you picking?

LittleD

Reaction score
So Im essentially not allowed to form own opinion as well as ignore factual data on a player because guys who are in reality pro/am scouts like Mayock, Rang, Bruger and Kiper say? Mind you we know very little about what legitimate, employed NFL scouts think of a player? Very little of that info is released, especially this time of year. And that most that is is disinformation.

Ill just go to bed without supper. That will teach me to have a dissenting veiw.

You really should listen to Broadus on DC.com. He knows and talks to scouts all over the league and he's good
friends with McClay as well. He may not always get it right but, he's better than most and know a whole lot more
than anyone on this board because he was an NFL scout for years.

Gaede

Reaction score
Elliot. Running back that high, I don't care anymore. I would rather have him than Bosa or a secondary player who they still don't know if he's a corner or not.

Agreed.

Don't like anything about Bosa.

Buckner has all the measurables, not sure what he adds though. Also, we already have a LDE. We need a RDE.

Don't know where Ramsey will play, same goes for Jack.

Also not sure the impact an OLB has in this defense. Also not sure the impact a non-playmaking DB has in this defense. Also not sure the impact a run-stopping LDE has on this defense

Elliot steps right in as a starter, 3 down back, a playmaker, and help for QB (who is apparently playing til he's 40) and offense (which was lethargic without a true lead back).

People talk about not taking a runningback high, and yet, it was our running game which got us thinking championship in the first place. Without our running game in 2014, Garrett would've been fired and we'd be the dregs of the NFL again.

Teams are all geared up to stop the pass, and that's why we did so well by pounding the ball, eating clock and physically dominating teams in 2014. Seems to me that the NFL is cyclical--trends develop (ie, shotgun, spead offenses) when one style of play is successful, teams copycat that formula and then the entire league seems to be headed in one direction (reliance on passing game). But then some teams come along, see these trends and instead of copycatting, use a tried and true method for countering these trends (ie., running the ball and controlling the clock). And then the dominant style of play changes from throw, throw, throw to run, run, run and round and round we go.

That's one of the reasons we did so well in 2014. Nothing has changed since then.

Last edited:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Good argument for - If the scouting department has a franchise grade on a QB, that needs to be the pick.

Good argument against - If the scouting department doesn't have a franchise grade on a QB, that isn't the pick. However if any of the three turn into one, everyone involved in that poor evaluation needs to be fired.

I said all along I expect him to waste another top 5 pick. You guys will celebrate it of course, but you celebrated Newman and Claiborne too. They amounted to jack. So will this one. And we're one hit away from no QB whatsoever. But hey, it's easy to find those. We'll do it on our schedule. With the worst GM and assistant in all of sports. No biggie.

All you have to do is look how much money Philly is throwing at Bradford and he's awful. You can not compete without a qb.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We'll see in due time whether or not Jerry's blowing smoke on this issue or not. If he's serious about what he's saying, it seems evident the staff doesn't feel there will be a worthy QB available at the #4 pick. Jerry has revealed his draft inclinations in advance before and it has turned out to be true, so I really wouldn't be surprised either way if he's serious or not. This certainly isn't to say that the team won't be inclined to take a QB with a later pick, however. They're known to have interest in Dak Prescott. Only time will tell exactly what they true inclinations are.

ferrispata

Reaction score
I would take Ramsey, Bosa, or Elliott. Here's hoping that someone will want to trade into our spot to grab Goff.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was unaware that this board had members that put NFL scouting departments to shame. What a lucky group of fans we are to be in such high company.

But I guess that same double-standard doesn't apply to the quarterbacks ranked right up there too, does it?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those same NFL scouts that really like Wentz and Goff all agree that Ramsey and Jack are two of the draft's best players. Be sure to give them a call and discredit them for such analysis.

Does your obvious double-standard continue to elude you?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All you have to do is look how much money Philly is throwing at Bradford and he's awful. You can not compete without a qb.

And you also can't get one. I can fill each and every need this team has in free agency, except one - starting quarterback.

At a time when Kirk Cousins will make $19 million and Sam Bradford will make $18 million, anyone who cannot see that quarterback is the rarest commodity in the NFL is an idiot. Jerry Jones very much included.

And anyone who thinks they can just 'get a developmental guy' later is an idiot too and someone who hasn't paid attention to this league for the past 15 years.

You either get one when you have a draft pick this high, or you become one of the have-nots scrambling for one.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"I think Romo is going to be our quarterback for four or five years and we'll make all decisions accordingly. ... This is one of those [decisions] that might not be made until we're down to the last 10 seconds on the clock."
Jerry already saying he wants his face on TV as much as possible.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Why would he say this?

There is no reason to say this unless they are going to go after RGIiI or Manziel.

We have to have a backup this year capable of winning games.

I just think this has been the problem all along with Jones.

He's comfortable with losing and making money.

Thats been how it has been since the stadium was built.

Its not about football anymore in Dallas.

Its about selling skyboxes and suites and overpriced food.

Its pathetic.

I personally find this post pathetic.