Jerry Jones says Cowboys will NOT draft QB with no. 4 pick *Super Hot Pants Mega Merge*

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jerry was said to have wanted Manziel so I would not rule out QB based on any statement at this time.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry isn't intelligent enough to play any draft mind games.

Wanting to draft Manziel two years ago and not a QB this year makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Making it a lock for how he's thinking.

If I had to guess, they'll pretend Cleveland took their QB. Which forced them to go irrelevant with the pick.

egn22

Reaction score
Depends on what we do in FA. If we kept Hardy I might go Ramsey. Or if they signed PacMan I might go Bosa. Or if they addressed both of those I'd take Elliott.

If we let Hardy walk, and Gregory is suspended four games, that forces us to really push DLaw who's coming off back surgery.

Bosa may not be the greatest prospect ever but he's a solid choice who looks like he will have a solid career.

Ramsey gives us two 6ft CBs with versatility to play safety. I LOVE this option. Completely changes our secondary.

And Elliott is a safe pick that has the potential to add a completely different dimension to our offense. Instant impact. Can't be mad at that.

So I'd be happy either way. I didn't mention Jack just because I think with Ro McClain and Sean Lee there I'm not sure I absolutely have to go LB that early. But I like him a lot too. He's a stud

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Jerry was said to have wanted Manziel so I would not rule out QB based on any statement at this time.

I think the main reason jerry wanted manziel was he has a Texas boy and it would bring huge publicity. Not because he didnt think romo would last.

Sydla

Reaction score
What this nitwits will do is take a guy like Prescott or Allen in the 3rd or 4th and claim it was the guy they wanted all along and gave them the best of both worlds - impact defensive player at 4 and their future franchise QB in the 3rd. And Jerry will bore us all with stories about how we shouldn't forget that Romo was a UDFA and became an elite QB, blah, blah, blah, blah.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Either Jerry is lying, or he's stupid.
Why would you disclose your draft strategy and prevent a possible trade down if it's there? If the 49ers or Rams know you're not going to pick a quarterback, they can simply move on to the next team after the Cowboys pick. :huh:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Agreed.

Don't like anything about Bosa.

Buckner has all the measurables, not sure what he adds though. Also, we already have a LDE. We need a RDE.

Don't know where Ramsey will play, same goes for Jack.

Also not sure the impact an OLB has in this defense. Also not sure the impact a non-playmaking DB has in this defense. Also not sure the impact a run-stopping LDE has on this defense

Elliot steps right in as a starter, 3 down back, a playmaker, and help for QB (who is apparently playing til he's 40) and offense (which was lethargic without a true lead back).

People talk about not taking a runningback high, and yet, it was our running game which got us thinking championship in the first place. Without our running game in 2014, Garrett would've been fired and we'd be the dregs of the NFL again.

Teams are all geared up to stop the pass, and that's why we did so well by pounding the ball, eating clock and physically dominating teams in 2014. Seems to me that the NFL is cyclical--trends develop (ie, shotgun, spead offenses) when one style of play is successful, teams copycat that formula and then the entire league seems to be headed in one direction (reliance on passing game). But then some teams come along, see these trends and instead of copycatting, use a tried and true method for countering these trends (ie., running the ball and controlling the clock). And then the dominant style of play changes from throw, throw, throw to run, run, run and round and round we go.

That's one of the reasons we did so well in 2014. Nothing has changed since then.

:clap:
Excellent post.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Who is Elliot's current player comparison?

Is he better then an injured gurley from last years draft?

jnday

Reaction score
If the scouts have one of these QBs rated as a top five player and Jerry passes, he is truly an idiot and he has learned nothing from these last 30 years of failure . I never expected him to draft a QB with the 4th pick, even if it is the right thing to do for the long term future of the team. With that being said, there is not s player in this draft that will have a big impact in his rookie season. Ramsey can not get s turnover if his life depended on it and Jacks is not an elite LB when you compare him to the other LBs stats when they came out of college . He is not s pass rusher and he is not a MLB which is needed. This team needs speed and playmakers on each side of the ball. Speed has limited this team for too long. With all this bring said, I really don't care how they use the pick if a QB is not taken . The team has no future if there is not a QB to run the team and Romo's health will end his career soon.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think the main reason jerry wanted manziel was he has a Texas boy and it would bring huge publicity. Not because he didnt think romo would last.

Dallas may pass on QB all I am saying is what Jerry says today and what the Cowboys will do is not always the same.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
To answer the question, who'd I want.

It's between Elliott and Ramsey. Both are the most elite at their respective positions in this draft. So I have to look at the next best prospects. After Elliott, it's Derrick Henry (based on most reports) and after Ramsey, it's Alexander or maybe even William Jackson III.

I think there's a bigger drop off between Elliott and Henry than Ramsey and Jackson. So would I rather have Elliott and Jackson or Ramsey and Henry?

I think I'd take Elliott and Jackson (assuming he makes it to our second pick, which I doubt. But I'll play along).

So it's Elliott for me. He will make the biggest impact and will help both the offense and the defense. He'll also prolong DMac's career because I doubt very seriously DMac services the season if he has to be our primary ball carrier.

jnday

Reaction score
There are a few personnel guys in the NFL that I respect their opinion. All have said none of the top 3 QB's are franchise guys worthy of the top 5 picks.

Bosa scares me. He's a stout strong side DE, but seems like the bullrush is his top move. I think they can find that in a later round.
Ramsey could fix a major problem. Safety. But if Byron moves to FS, Church is an adequate SS. Ramsey at CB/FS solves some issues and adds some dynamic flexibility to the backfield.
Jack brings some of the same. He can cover TE's man on man. He can play any LB position and even some safety. That's a unique player.

I'd go Jack or Ramsey.

I could live with the Ramsey pick if he was a ball hawk . Jack is not a pass rusher or MLB. His best position would be Lee's position , so why draft him if he doesn't have a position in this defense ?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good argument for - If the scouting department has a franchise grade on a QB, that needs to be the pick.

Good argument against - If the scouting department doesn't have a franchise grade on a QB, that isn't the pick. However if any of the three turn into one, everyone involved in that poor evaluation needs to be fired.

I said all along I expect him to waste another top 5 pick. You guys will celebrate it of course, but you celebrated Newman and Claiborne too. They amounted to jack. So will this one. And we're one hit away from no QB whatsoever. But hey, it's easy to find those. We'll do it on our schedule. With the worst GM and assistant in all of sports. No biggie.

Agreed. If they pass on a guy who turns out to be a "franchise" guy then it would not be good.

But right now it looks like one guy– and not three.

One of the three will be gone by pick #4.

One of the others is falling like a rock.

So it will come down to one guy and does he look like he's "It"?

We'll see.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed. If they pass on a guy who turns out to be a "franchise" guy then it would not be good.

But right now it looks like one guy– and not three.

One of the three will be gone by pick #4.

One of the others is falling like a rock.

So it will come down to one guy and does he look like he's "It"?

We'll see.

Why does it come down to one guy?

Why would you allow the Browns to take your QB? What kind of loser attitude is that? Hey, that's our QB right there for the next 10 years. I sure hope the Browns don't pick him. Oh well. They did.

Go up and get that player if that's what you believe.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why does it come down to one guy?

Why would you allow the Browns to take your QB? What kind of loser attitude is that? Hey, that's our QB right there for the next 10 years. I sure hope the Browns don't pick him. Oh well. They did.

Go up and get that player if that's what you believe.

I'm not trading up.