Jerry Jones: Spike Was Bad Call***merged***

Asklesko

Reaction score
Not in the 2 minute offense ....we just went 35 yards in 2 plays

We just didn't execute on 2nd and 3rd down

Aaron Rodgers got sacked on his 1st down, incomplete on his second but still completed a 35 yd pass on 3rd and 20......it was execution not strategy

two immediate examples of how getting a first down is very difficult.

Lutonio

Reaction score
I missed the game day threads because, well, they make me want to shoot myself in the brain, but did anybody try to make the case for being in 4 down territory that series rather than kicking the tying fg and giving Rodgers 30 seconds and a timeout to make the GW FG? Anybody care to, after the fact?

I know, of course, that JG and Company would be legitimately crucified for playing entirely for the TD there when the game tying points were in range and we have Dan Bailey. Under any normal circumstance, I agree. But the way Rodgers had played all day, I'm not so sure. If we know we're in 4 down territory, we've got the option of running it on 3rd or 4th down. Make it, we can stop the clock and have 4 downs and 30 seconds to put the game away completely and never give GB a chance at the field again. We pass up the 3 gimme points, but keep the opportunity to win the game in the hands of the offense for at least another 4 plays. Kind of like that Giants game in 2007.

Any takers?
Even seeing after the fact, I don't think I can go for 4th down there unless the team had made it 4th and 1 or so.

After 21 - 3, I would have easily taken it if you had told me that OT would be on the table later.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I would have handed the ball off to Zeke to see if he could bust one like he did in PIT.

With the way that defense was gassed, I bet he would have at least gotten 10 yards there.

For the record. The Spike was the right call if they were looking to score a TD, which they were.

I think running a play is the right call if going for a TD. You don't spike until you are at least in FG range.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even seeing after the fact, I don't think I can go for 4th down there unless the team had made it 4th and 1 or so.

After 21 - 3, I would have easily taken it if you had told me that OT would be on the table later.

It's highly likely we convert there with 2 plays to get 2 yards. If you start with a run/pass option on 3rd down, you probably either get it or stop the clock again without too much time running out. From there, Zeke for 2 yards or less with the season on the line has a pretty good ring to it, knowing how things turned out instead. Better than Rodgers v. our secondary with 30 seconds and a timeout in his pocket, too.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Lol. :)

We could always kick the fg that next set of downs, btw. The only question is could we get the 2 yards in 2 downs with this OL and the #4 pick overall at RB. I mean, that's why we got him, right?
we more than likely get it on 3rd down if they run it from the spread but that is pretty much playing for the FG and running out the clock

Dak chose to gamble for the TD and 15 yd pass to Dez would have left them inside the 20 with 30 secs left and no timeouts or 15 secs left and 1 timeout......that is 2 shots at the TD

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we more than likely get it on 3rd down if they run it from the spread but that is pretty much playing for the FG and running out the clock

Dak chose to gamble for the TD and 15 yd pass to Dez would have left them inside the 20 with 30 secs left and no timeouts or 15 secs left and 1 timeout......that is 2 shots at the TD

******. There are so many ways this game could have turned out differently and we'd still be alive right now.

We haven't even started complaining about Heath not being more aggressive in going for the strip sack yet, have we? I mean, what was he thinking?

Lutonio

Reaction score
Was it, though? Rookie QB, game and season on the line, moving the ball routinely on a tired defense. You covert there, and if you don't want to use the TO right away (which you obviously don't), you need to be ready for the next series of downs on the fly. That's one where you definitely trust a veteran like Tony to just keep the ball moving. Dak has probably earned that right, too, but he's still rookie. It's still a situation where you want to help him if you can. If you're confident you can get 10 yards in two plays because you have been the last two series and the defense is on it's heals, you want to keep the playbook open, and you want to give your signal caller the time to execute properly, the clock stoppage there might have more value than it would in other circumstances.

I should say that I agree with you that running a play there (especially something with a RPO where Dak could stop the clock again if necessary) is the direction I would prefer they had gone. But I understand the thought process of wanting to slow things down for a second to plan the next 3-4 plays to try to win the ballgame instead of doing it on the fly with the rookie QB.

The stuff about the rookie is exactly why I say it's a panic call. Garrett has done well with the clock and late game this season unlike previous seasons, but having a rookie playing from behind in a playoff game, the pressure got to the coaching staff.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I find it amusing how the media is driving this narrative. Have fun being wagged, people.

Aren't you used to the media driving a narrative/your narrative?....

and then... WHAMMO!

They realize they were reading from wrong script all along?

Lol

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Aren't you used to the media driving a narrative/your narrative?....

and then... WHAMMO!

They realize they were reading from wrong script all along?

Lol

Given that I don't listen to sports radio or watch much TV outside of time delayed games to skip talking heads and commercials, not really.

Cowboy89

Reaction score
Apparently Jerry said they "underestimated Rodgers". That may explain why they got torched....

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Given that I don't listen to sports radio or watch much TV outside of time delayed games to skip talking heads and commercials, not really.

No... I'm referring to "the other thing"... the one you had your pom poms out for in the months leading up to November.

"A little hypocritical don't you think"?

bruce-wayne-smiles-at-clark-kent.jpg

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
As I said, you are trying to score a TD while killing the clock at the same time. 3 plays is better than 2
2 plays is the worst case scenario compare the best case scenario of the two situations. you get a first down, and have 3 additional plays. you might even get more after that, all from saving as many as 15 seconds by spiking the ball, and saving a timeout allowing a long pass in the middle of the field.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I missed the game day threads because, well, they make me want to shoot myself in the brain, but did anybody try to make the case for being in 4 down territory that series rather than kicking the tying fg and giving Rodgers 30 seconds and a timeout to make the GW FG? Anybody care to, after the fact?

I know, of course, that JG and Company would be legitimately crucified for playing entirely for the TD there when the game tying points were in range and we have Dan Bailey. Under any normal circumstance, I agree. But the way Rodgers had played all day, I'm not so sure. If we know we're in 4 down territory, we've got the option of running it on 3rd or 4th down. Make it, we can stop the clock and have 4 downs and 30 seconds to put the game away completely and never give GB a chance at the field again. We pass up the 3 gimme points, but keep the opportunity to win the game in the hands of the offense for at least another 4 plays. Kind of like that Giants game in 2007.

Any takers?

In the opening drive of the game....yes! :cool:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No... I'm referring to "the other thing"... the one you had your pom poms out for in the months leading up to November.

"A little hypocritical don't you think"?

bruce-wayne-smiles-at-clark-kent.jpg

What other thing? If you are going to call me out at least have the balls to be direct.

If you're talking about the election, I paid attention to the polls including at the end where they narrowed to a dead heat. I don't watch the news either. I read the polls directly. Sites like 538.com and realclear politics allow you to go right to the source material.

I have no issue calling which way the wind blows.

CWR

Reaction score
The problem was gambling on another clock stopage after a failed conversion. Which I am upset at the coaches for doing. If we run and dont convert we are at the least forcing GB to burn a TO. I understand that we have amazing weapons in the passing game but we are (I think) agreeing that it shouldve been a run play on third. My point is if you were going to clock it and lose a down then in order to support that rationale you shouldve ran the ball on third. Thats why you kept that precious TO in your pocket.

But I get it, if they convert through the air then they are geniuses. They didnt so yeah I dont really get the entire series. Theres no winner or loser in this debate. In fact we are unfortunately all losers lol.

I think Idgit made a good point that the WRs were winded after the back to back plays. I can get with that logic, the last thing we needed was a sloppy route.

All and all Id have liked to see alot more running, which started even before we were down 21-3.

My bad Bkight13 not Idgit.

Dodger12

Reaction score
It's like people keep forgetting Jerry Jones played college football and won a National Title. He's more of a "football guy" than 100% of this board.

I hear you. Spaulding QB'd his high school team to a Texas State Championship this year and he just earned his way into the front office, no nepotism needed. And Jerry wasn't even a QB like his grandson so you know the kid is smarter. Yes sir, the future for this franchise is bright.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hear you. Spaulding QB'd his high school team to a Texas State Championship this year and he just earned his way into the front office, no nepotism needed. And Jerry wasn't even a QB like his grandson so you know the kid is smarter. Yes sir, the future for this franchise is bright.

Wasn't Spaulding, was the other grandson :omg: