Jerry should take a lesson from Sean Payton and let Dak go now

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't agree with what Sean Payton did to Russell Wilson, and I hope it costs him his job.
However, the fact that he did it shows that NFL teams can afford to eat a bad contract and move past one player. In the Cowboys case, they should bench Prescott for the season and make him sit for a year before entering free agency. The fact that it would cool the market for his services might make Dak amenable to a trade this year that will allow the Cowboys to get something out of the deal.
Either way, the Cowboys and their fans win simply by getting Dak off the field in a Cowboys uniform and that gives the franchise hope for the first time since the hiring of Jason Garrett.
Best case scenario is trading Dak this year.
I think it's a win-win.
It looked like what they were angling for, with the 2nd option of having him play out the year at 30mil.

GINeric

Reaction score
Gallup let the Eagles intercept two passes without fighting for the ball at all, and even at that Rush was very effective at moving the ball. He didn't win, no, but if you're gonna discredit him over one loss, then Dak should have been gone years ago.
Dak looks far worse than Rush did in Philly that night every time the Cowboys play someone real.

I LOVE how you blame the receivers for Rush's interceptions.... but for some reason, when receivers costed Dak interceptions, the blame automatically went to Dak no matter what.

Do you see the hypocrisy plain as day right in front of you??

Bro... you can't even put Rush's name in the same sentence with Dak. Just like you can't put Dak's name in the same sentence with Mahomes, Brady, etc.

Dak isn't elite but he's a perennial top 10 qb, an All-Pro and a MVP candidate. Rush is a career backup at best. You still haven't told me why the other 31 GMs, coaches and offensive coordinators haven't snatched him up yet and given him a starting job and a max contract.

Do you think all of those GMs and coaches are making a mistake in not trading for Rush or not signing him?

If Rush and Dak both got outright released today.... who do you think would get a starting job and a max contract first? Which quarterback do you believe would have the most teams reaching out to their agents??

kskboys

Reaction score
Wilson sure looked a lot more cooked than Prescott did.

I don’t care which way they ultimately go but I’d rather take my chances with another season of Prescott than allow Jerry and Stephen to stick another 26 million in their pockets…it won’t be spent on improving the roster this season. That ship has long sailed.

Speaking of Wilson, I wonder if cheapo Stephen isn’t looking at the current Steeler QB model and grinning.
They won't. There's a salary cap minimum.

kskboys

Reaction score
I LOVE how you blame the receivers for Rush's interceptions.... but for some reason, when receivers costed Dak interceptions, the blame automatically went to Dak no matter what.

Do you see the hypocrisy plain as day right in front of you??

Bro... you can't even put Rush's name in the same sentence with Dak. Just like you can't put Dak's name in the same sentence with Mahomes, Brady, etc.

Dak isn't elite but he's a perennial top 10 qb, an All-Pro and a MVP candidate. Rush is a career backup at best. You still haven't told me why the other 31 GMs, coaches and offensive coordinators haven't snatched him up yet and given him a starting job and a max contract.

Do you think all of those GMs and coaches are making a mistake in not trading for Rush or not signing him?

If Rush and Dak both got outright released today.... who do you think would get a starting job and a max contract first? Which quarterback do you believe would have the most teams reaching out to their agents??
Sure, but why do you guys bother?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
By every report out of that TC Darnold significantly outplayed Lance in that competition.
This is just a wild claim. For example, I decided to verify this and the article referenced here says:

“Darnold, who has been inconsistent in his five NFL seasons with the Jets and Panthers, impressed the 49ers with his work in minicamps and OTAs, running neck and neck with Lance while Purdy's status remained up in the air. The two reserves have carried their competition through the preseason.”

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Best case scenario is trading Dak this year.
I think it's a win-win.
It looked like what they were angling for, with the 2nd option of having him play out the year at 30mil.
trade? so he costs how much on the cap? last year of contract? wanting 55M+ a year and he is 30.

so if there is a QB like him out there. how much would you be willing to give up?

seriously!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By every report out of that TC Darnold significantly outplayed Lance in that competition.

Meanwhile everything about the cap that you said is wrong. When the Cowboys traded Cooper they were saving a lot in cap space both short and long term. With Lance there is basically no difference long term and they lost cap short term by going with Darnold as the backup.

Darnold just won the competition outright and then they wanted to get what they could for their 3rd string QB.
The cap was the $25 million they would have to eventually pay or decline. If they declined then do they get that same 4th round as a comp pick.

Spin it how you want, and you think the same of me. But that is how I see it.

Adreme

Reaction score
This is just a wild claim. For example, I decided to verify this and the article referenced here says:

“Darnold, who has been inconsistent in his five NFL seasons with the Jets and Panthers, impressed the 49ers with his work in minicamps and OTAs, running neck and neck with Lance while Purdy's status remained up in the air. The two reserves have carried their competition through the preseason.”
Your article is a nice summation but ignores any of the daily reporting that the reporters who watched every snap were saying and every day they would say "Lance looks inconsistent and Darnold looks better". It was not a one off report. You saw these reports going back to June when it was just OTAs. This lead to the talk shows trying to fill the slow period of sports talking about "what does it mean that Lance is seemingly behind Darnold" just to fill the air.

Again though Lance was cheaper. He was under contract for 2 years, instead of 1, and he was younger which implied more upside. If the competition was even CLOSE they would have gone with Lance and cut Darnold. The fact that they did not speaks volumes. The fact that Sam Darnold was described as the more "consistent" player is honestly a terrifying thought when Darnold is the player who was always good for 2 horrible throws every single game, with the rest of the throws being solid.

Adreme

Reaction score
The cap was the $25 million they would have to eventually pay or decline. If they declined then do they get that same 4th round as a comp pick.

Spin it how you want, and you think the same of me. But that is how I see it.
Reality and facts are not spin. They just exist. It is a mathematical certainty that Lance was the cheaper option. They had to eat 8m in dead money in cutting Lance and did not have to pay out 2m in salary over 2 years whereas they would have had to eat 5m in dead money and save 3m in salary (for one year) cutting Darnold. Then you add in what they are paying Dobbs to be the backup and you realize they paid an extra 3.5m overall to go with Darnold over Lance and had to have more immediate dead money. Now granted no one is going to overpay a 4th for Darnold. The reports I saw suggested they were hoping for a 5th and expecting a 6th (inline with what the other busts from that class got this year) so it worked out well for them but they had made their decision before that kind of offer manifested.

The 5th year option is irrelevant here as barring him having played and played very well it was almost certainly going to be declined.

Sandyf

Reaction score
I don't agree with what Sean Payton did to Russell Wilson, and I hope it costs him his job.
However, the fact that he did it shows that NFL teams can afford to eat a bad contract and move past one player. In the Cowboys case, they should bench Prescott for the season and make him sit for a year before entering free agency. The fact that it would cool the market for his services might make Dak amenable to a trade this year that will allow the Cowboys to get something out of the deal.
Either way, the Cowboys and their fans win simply by getting Dak off the field in a Cowboys uniform and that gives the franchise hope for the first time since the hiring of Jason Garrett.
Some fans will never learn or understand. Like it or not Dak is a top ten QB. Why do fans love to lose thinking you will find the next great QB on the street. Winning is always the goal and the Super Bowl is ultimate prize.

In no business are you going to willing throw In the towel just hoping you can get better. Is Dak elite? I don't think so but I would rather win with him until I can possibly draft a better guy. Losing sucks but appears half if the fans here don't have problem with it in hopes of maybe finding another guy even if it takes ten years of losing to do so.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I can't speak for him, but I think we squeak into the playoffs and lose in the first round with Rush. Dak or Rush weren't going into Philly and winning in 2022. We barely beat them at home, had to get a 3rd and 30 to stay alive. And they were using a backup QB.
Not sure how this defends his claims. He said Rush outplays Dak. Didn’t say anything about Philly.

And the offense and Dak were fine against Philly in 2022. It was the defense in the second meeting. Barely beating them was a reflection of the defense not offense.

And you can’t say it took 3rd and 30 to beat them…..I’m not even sure if Rush can throw 30 yards let alone convert it. That 3rd and 30 is why those two guys are nowhere near the same.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We'll soon see how well Dak fares with another franchise, hopefully.
That's what scares his fans.
Doesn’t scare anyone. At the end of the day he’s defied the odds. He came into this league with people saying he’d never make it. He’d never take the job from Romo and he needs to be a tight end. Just like they said Lamar needs to be a running back.

He went on to have one of the best rookie campaigns of all time.

The goal posts keep getting pushed back….

“Oh he can’t throw for over 200 yards”
“He can’t win a playoff game”
“He will never be a All Pro”
“He will never be a MvP candidate.”

He’s struggling to beat good teams in the playoffs. Either he will get over that hump or not.

But trust me no Dak fan cares what you anti people think. We know you’re not thinking logical and can’t be reasoned with. It’s personal and history says when it’s personal the idiocy comes out.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Your article is a nice summation but ignores any of the daily reporting that the reporters who watched every snap were saying and every day they would say "Lance looks inconsistent and Darnold looks better". It was not a one off report. You saw these reports going back to June when it was just OTAs. This lead to the talk shows trying to fill the slow period of sports talking about "what does it mean that Lance is seemingly behind Darnold" just to fill the air.

Again though Lance was cheaper. He was under contract for 2 years, instead of 1, and he was younger which implied more upside. If the competition was even CLOSE they would have gone with Lance and cut Darnold. The fact that they did not speaks volumes. The fact that Sam Darnold was described as the more "consistent" player is honestly a terrifying thought when Darnold is the player who was always good for 2 horrible throws every single game, with the rest of the throws being solid.
Just saying there is "daily reporting" without showing it doesn't make it true. And no, I personally did not see any of these reports. I don't follow the 49ers like I do the Cowboys. Also, the author of the article I referenced doesn't imply that in any way.

Lance wasn't cheaper. The 49ers swallowed much of the financial burden of his contract by trading him to the Cowboys even though they were able to offload some. And no, even if the competition was close, they could have gone with Darnold because they believed they found their young franchise QB in Purdy despite having Lance and wanted to get something for him instead of spending extra time and money developing him or possibly causing a QB controversy if Purdy was to get injured again or start playing poorly knowing that Darnold would never be more than a backup.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Donald was given the back up position, Trey did not lose it. It was a future money saving trade and nothing else.
They took what they could get.

Just like Jerry and the Amari trade. Took what they could get for the salary dump. And in return, did they not use that pick to get DaRon Bland?
Technically Waletzko was taken with the pick from Cleveland. Bland was taken later in the round with their own pick, but close enough.

Clark and Ridgeway were taken after Bland in the same round with comp picks.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What incentive does Dak have to play for such a dysfunctional franchise?
For the love of money
People will steal from their mother
For the love of money
People will rob their own brother

For the love of money
People can't even walk the street
Because they never know who in the world they're gonna meet
For that mean, oh mean, MEAN green

Almighty dollar...

Just like pretty much every other professional athlete. ~apologies to the O'Jays~

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Truth.

They benched Lance from practice after the trade talks started with Jerry.

We got the kid cheap.

8)
If Lance is still with the team on the fifth day of training camp Jerry has to give him $4,500,000. Cheap depends on your perspective, I guess. Trey Lance is a “UFO NFL quarterback“. I see something, but I’m not really sure what it is. He is not signed beyond the upcoming season and if he’s in a “prove it scenario“ like Dak supposedly is, how can he prove much watching Dak play football?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I seen a mock 53 man roster a few days ago. Predicts Dak of course, and Trey as the back up. And has Cooper on the PS to start the season. But eventually would have to be on the 53 as the emergency QB.
They will give Trey every opportunity to win the back up QB position. But we all know that already.
McCarthy has already stated that Lance will get most of the preseason snaps. It’s not going to be a true competition between him and Rush. Lance will be given every opportunity to be the backup. The only way he’s not the backup is if he doesn’t look good in practice and preseason.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
For the love of money
People will steal from their mother
For the love of money
People will rob their own brother

For the love of money
People can't even walk the street
Because they never know who in the world they're gonna meet
For that mean, oh mean, MEAN green

Almighty dollar...

Just like pretty much every other professional athlete. ~apologies to the O'Jays~
hey you're even more hip than I thought, good song!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well, I realize I'm a casual fan.

But....NFL teams do not base their decisions on stats and highlight reels.
NFL teams will study the difficult games (i.e. any decent defense Dak has faced reg or post season) and realize Dak under pressure cannot get the job done.

The cowboys have done everything possible to cover Dak's warts his whole career. But when you face a defense who can bring pressure AND cover, you must have a QB who can make the EARLY tight throws. If you cannot consistently make that throw and not make a bad decision, you've going to fold every time.
Inconsistent accuracy (see Dak's scouting report) is a killer in the NFL,
You can make 7 great throws, but if #8 is grossly off target, good defenses will make you pay.. We've paid haven't we? Have you not seen random passes sail OB with a open receiver watching it sail. Why do you think Cooper wanted out and CeeDee gets PO'd?
They are tired of beating their guy, getting a step and seeing their QB pat the ball and take the dump off for 2yds or a sack.
We have a good young OL, but in this scheme they will struggle mightily their first year pass blocking. We will attempt to run often, but you'll see 8 in the box forcing the throw., in traffic. The quality of competition will increase this year, Dak will likely start the season, but it will be difficult without his pre-injury mobility.
He'll be better off seeking a trade before the deadline and he's totally exposed. Because if he's benched, his big payday is over

McCarthy's on a 1 inch leash, and will be happy to switch to a highly mobile Trey Lance.

In case some haven't figured it out, the Jones boys are no longer Interested in Daks services.
You can deny, but this is going to happen.
I’m not going to get into another argument about Dak. When it comes to a QB NFL teams do base their decisions on QB stats. A QB has to be productive and move the offense. They have to be able to put points on the board. We have a QB that does that. McCarthy is in the final year of his contract and he’s going to play the QB that gives him the best chance to win and stay around. If you think Dak is on a short leash you’re kidding yourself.