Jimmy's influence

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
"Since the Ring of Honor, I am on his [Jerry Jones'] advisory board now," Johnson said to Joe Rose on WQAM 560 AM in Miami. "We were talking on the phone. I talked to him about an hour after his Green Bay loss, and he was talking about what all he needed to do because he had big decisions on Mike McCarthy and Dan Quinn and Dak Prescott. Everything is hunky dory now. I am back in the fold with the Cowboys."

If you look at those three, MM hasn't been extended, DQ is gone, and Dak hasn't been extended.
Everyone can see what has been done. Fans are more interested in what will be done. “MM hasn’t been extended”, will he remain the head coach? “DQ is gone”, Zimmer, out of the league and not a young coach is hired on a one year deal, is he part of the Cowboys future? “Dak hasn’t been extended”, sans an extension the cap hit from his poorly managed current contract is prohibitive. Will that be rectified? Any NFL fan base would be curious if this were the circumstance with their favorite team. Are Cowboys fans simply supposed to take a “What, me worry?” approach? If this was the Chiefs situation fans might be willing to believe the team knows what it’s trying to do. The Cowboys have not enjoyed playoff success in a long time and now seem to be struggling trying to figure out what they want to do. Fans are wondering what the Cowboys are trying to do. If there is not a high degree of anxiety right now you’re not much of a Cowboys fan.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
The cowboys went all in last year. They traded for Cooks and Gilmore. Thats something they never do. And the result was getting absolutely embarrassed by the Packers in the playoffs.

This team is nowhere close to being a SB contender. The organization realizes that. Doesn’t make sense to burn cap space or picks on short term fixes.

If Jimmy is the one that gave Jerry that dose of reality, good.
Which teams are built like SB contender.

San Fran is the only team that seems stacked everywhere.

What is a SB contender supposed to look like?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
But is it odd compared to the last 3 years?
Yes!!!!!! Our offseason the last three years wasn't held hostage by decisions regarding Dak's extension, or his massive cap and the loss of more than a half dozen starters. To make matters worse, we haven't seen any sense of urgency or resolutions from Jerry. So, hell yeah it's odd IMO....lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jimmy’s influence has nothing to do with the players we’ve lost.

morasp

Reaction score
Everyone can see what has been done. Fans are more interested in what will be done. “MM hasn’t been extended”, will he remain the head coach? “DQ is gone”, Zimmer, out of the league and not a young coach is hired on a one year deal, is he part of the Cowboys future? “Dak hasn’t been extended”, sans an extension the cap hit from his poorly managed current contract is prohibitive. Will that be rectified? Any NFL fan base would be curious if this were the circumstance with their favorite team. Are Cowboys fans simply supposed to take a “What, me worry?” approach? If this was the Chiefs situation fans might be willing to believe the team knows what it’s trying to do. The Cowboys have not enjoyed playoff success in a long time and now seem to be struggling trying to figure out what they want to do. Fans are wondering what the Cowboys are trying to do. If there is not a high degree of anxiety right now you’re not much of a Cowboys fan.
I think they may be turning up the heat a little in other words it depends on what happens. As far as being a Cowboys fan for me at least if a form of entertainment causes me a high degree of anxiety I'm looking for a new form of entertainment. But to put it in proper context I was fortunate enough to be a Cowboys fan during both the Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson eras.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Tyron Smith
Tyler Biadasz
Dorance Armstrong
Donte Fowler
Neville Gallimore
Johnathan Hankins
Noah Igbinoghene
Tony Pollard
Soon to be Gallup
If I forgot anyone my apologies, please feel free to add

Looks like Jimmys advice is lighting some fire for once in a very long time and getting rid of some scraps.
I doubt jimmy would have went into this much detail, as to who to get rid of.
Jimmy said they talked about dak mm and dan, so maybe he suggested he not pay dak 60 mil, but all this is from jones boys, as to
what they are actually doing.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We also must consider Mike Zimmer and the type of players he wants. Much of this might be zimmer as far as why we let these guys walk.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jerry is no longer making player decisions alone,if at all. His proxy is Stephen and McClay. Yes, he checks the temperature in the room, but thats about it these days. He will listen and wants input from his "advisory board" but all he does is listen, then he gets feed back. He might relay that info to his son and McClay, in the end, THEY decide what they are doing. Make no mistake, we have many holes to fill and I am not sure how we are going to fill out the roster with capable players. It might be a case of a major retooling which means in order to take a step forward,first we might take a couple steps backward. Translation, 2024 and 2025 might not be very good.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I expect major growing pains the next 2 years as we will be relying on many rookies and udfa's to fill in. I expect a slow start but expect we will start to see signs of improvement as the year goes along. Does that mean playoffs? I doubt it. It may be we witnessed the way the Packers and Texans did it with youth through the draft and we are using that blueprint here. Which means, a slow go. If we find a stud running back in the draft, that is the best defense sometimes, the offense and running game. Like when DeMarco Murray was here and Zeke. Ball control, chew clock, keeping our defense off the field. We had success doing that in 2014, and 2016. Drafting a guy like Ray Davis for example would go a long way to doing this.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The only thing Jimmy is advising is what fish are running in the Keys! Come on man, you guys/gals/ they/thems are doozy bots!
exactly. Jimmy is in his twilight years,over 80. Same with Jerry. They have little to do with the major player side of it. Its a Youngman's game and I think thats why we are shifting the older guys out of town. Its the Texans and Packers model. Lions as well. YOUTH is needed and Dallas is attempting to change with the times. It means Dak likely wont be here much longer unless he and this year's team overachieves. I bet we dont keep Gilmore either. We have met with a ton of cb prospects lately. We can't rule out drafting a cb early. Who's to say Diggs will be the Diggs of old? Drafting a stud cb actually makes sense. I like Nate Wiggins. We have visited with him and TJ Tampa at least 2 times each.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Nobody knows for sure if Jimmy has seriously affected Jerry's thinking or not but there's no denying that Dan Quinn is gone after a time when he was being praised by almost everyone who cared to comment about him. There are others, especially on defense, that were being regarded as worthy of sticking around until the Packers loss became a mind bender in the opinions of so many observers.

Jimmy wasn't one to put up with those types of losses. Did he communicate that to Jerry in a somewhat convincing manner? Who knows, but it says something surely clicked in making the loss of so many players an acceptable idea. Let's see what happens in the weeks to come to determine who and what caused these unusual things to come about. Perhaps more info is yet to be revealed as to the impetus that led to this situation. ;)

Last edited:

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Nobody knows for sure if Jimmy has seriously affected Jerry's thinking or not but there's no denying that Dan Quinn is gone after a time when he was being praised by almost everyone who cared to comment about him. There are others, especially on defense, that were being regarded as worthy of sticking around until the Packers loss became a mind bender in the opinions of so many observers.

Jimmy wasn't one to put up with those types of losses. Did he communicate that to Jerry in a somewhat convincing manner? Who knows, but it says something surely clicked in making the loss of so many players an acceptable idea. Let's see what happens in the weeks to come to determine who and what caused these unusual things to come about. Perhaps more info is yet to be revealed as to the impetus that led to this situation. ;)
Nothings happened yet.

If CeeDee is dealt I think someone new is in Jerry's ear.

I would be surprised if any GM would deal Micah unless it's for an absurd haul, not even Jimmy.

To trade Micah is to gamble on him falling off, him having an injury or your GM'ing skills being able to win a SB within 3years after trading Micah.

I don't know if any GM gives up what it would take to pry Micah away anyway.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
What did you conclude beyond the context of Johnson's comments?
Johnson is an idiot with zero comprehension of today’s NFL. He’s an idiot dumb enough to be duped by Jerry Jones. 90% of posters on CZ know better than that. He needs to disappear.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

“Jimmy” is as useful as breasts on a fish. My god, have we reduced ourselves to this idiot?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Consider the last couple decades, and then imagine Jerry at this point listening to the advice of anyone but himself.

The game Jerry is playing is against the fans and media. He needs to keep both in the fold. The Jimmy stuff is all crap.
Thus, the completely dishonest, bold-faced lie of "all-in". Jerry knew exactly how that would be taken from fans after that Green Bay disaster. Jerry is an evil man.