Just how weak our schedule has been to this point

plasticman

Reaction score
So the winning percentage of the teams the Cowboys beat, sans the loss to the Cowboys is .337 (28-55).
No, I mean take out all Cowboys games in wins and losses. In other words, what would be their combined record playing all other teams except the Cowboys. That way, their combined record isn't influenced by the Cowboys game.

Zman5

Reaction score

the Dall/philly games dont count as dallas doesnt play dallas and philly doesnt play philly
In that case, our schedule is actually more difficult and Eagirls scheduler is easier than if the common opponent was counted as 14 games. We would have played two games vs a 10-1 team and they would play vs a 8-3 team.

Zman5

Reaction score
Here are 5 games where the Eagirls and Cowboys have uncommon opponents. Here are the current records of the opponents in those games.

Eagirls:

KC 8-3
Minny 6-6
TB 4-7
Dal 8-3
Dal 8-3

Eagirls' opponent's Total W-L 34-22

Cowboys:

LAC 4-7
Det 8-3
Car 1-10
Phi 10-1
Phi 10-1

Cowboys' opponent's Total W-L 33-22

As you can see, there aren't any real difference between the two teams so far.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Eagles and Steelers are tied for most wins this season by a TD or less. They both have seven. The Cowboys have one.

Seven of the ten Eagles victories were won by 7 points or less. A bounce here, a bounce there, and the Eagles could just as easily be 7-4 or 6-5.

The Cowboys have the most wins in the NFL by a margin of 20 points or more. They have seven. The closest team to them is the Bills with four.

There is the quality of opponents and then there is the contrast in performance between a team and their opponents.

Did every team beat the Panthers, Giants, Patriots, and Commanders by 20 or more points?

Blackrain

Reaction score
Who cares about the strength of schedule it changes as the year goes on.
It's not some given it can't be predicted all kinds of things affect the strength of a schedule from one week to the next
That said we basically play pretty much the same teams as the eagles play and they have squeaked by and we have absolutely smashed bad teams.
Eagles beat us in their house barely.
All that matters at this point is getting to the tournament and what happens there.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The Eagles and Steelers are tied for most wins this season by a TD or less. They both have seven. The Cowboys have one.

Seven of the ten Eagles victories were won by 7 points or less. A bounce here, a bounce there, and the Eagles could just as easily be 7-4 or 6-5.

The Cowboys have the most wins in the NFL by a margin of 20 points or more. They have seven. The closest team to them is the Bills with four.

There is the quality of opponents and then there is the contrast in performance between a team and their opponents.

Did every team beat the Panthers, Giants, Patriots, and Commanders by 20 or more points?
Call it luck if you like, but that's the crux of the problem........ we dont tend win those close games against top teams.

That's why a fair proportion of us are wary of being too opto over defeating teams that gave up weeks ago.

There's the ghost of Buccs (31-14), followed by SF X2.

In a way this forthcoming schedule is tantamount to playing a play-off series....we're going in confident and so this will be the ideal play-off preview, have we got it, or are we going to be home to Mr Excuse.

Jipper

Reaction score
We beat the crap out of bad teams

We lose to good teams

Only thing that will change that narrative is a bunch of wins over the next month to actually setup the team going into the playoffs vs stumbling into them.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hmmm...the Cowboys lost to the Eagles.

Some of you really seem to need to tell yourselves things I don't think you even believe.
Would you be in awe if Dallas beats Philly? I wonder how logical your comments would be at that time.

Jipper

Reaction score
The whole strength of schedule thing is nonsense, especially before the season begins.
So are draft grades but they are directional indicators based on the data available at the time...as long as they are viewed that way

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Leave it to Dallas "fans" to continue to find ways to denigrate the organization. True fans always look for the negative.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Broncos are a perfect example bad team last year lost five out of their first six this year.

But now they won their last five games and beat Kansas City Minnesota and the bills I think they're like six and five so they have a winning record

If we play them tomorrow and won did we beat a good team or do they still suck.

All you do know is by the time you get to the NFC championship game pretty good chance you're going to be playing somebody good and that's where you need to win

Jipper

Reaction score
Leave it to Dallas "fans" to continue to find ways to denigrate the organization. True fans always look for the negative.
I don't think it's that, I think it's that people have just hit a breaking point in frustration with the narrative- very hard to be excited about regular season wins when they are only against bad to mediocre teams.

Should we win the next couple of games you will see fans start to believe again, unfortunately should we start to see losses against the better competition then you are going to see the continued frustration.

plasticman

Reaction score
Call it luck if you like, but that's the crux of the problem........ we dont tend win those close games against top teams.

That's why a fair proportion of us are wary of being too opto over defeating teams that gave up weeks ago.

In a way this forthcoming schedule is tantamount to playing a play-off series....we're going in confident and so this will be the ideal play-off preview, have we got it, or are we going to be home to Mr Excuse.
I certainly can't argue that point. All the speculation as to whether the Cowboys can defeat a winning team ends. They enter a point in their schedule where they will play at least three winning, division leading teams in the Eagles, Dolphins and Lions.

Beating the Seahawks won't impress anyone. In fact, someone already pointed out that when they do, the Seahawks will be 6-6 and no longer a winning team. It's highly probably that the Bills won't be a winning team at the time they play the Cowboys. However, this is an away game for the Cowboys where they are currently 3-3. Even more challenging is the fact that the Dolphins are also an away game and they are undefeated in their stadium.

Forget the division title for now, they still have to make the playoffs, it's not guaranteed. It doesn't take much to slide, an injury to a key player, a couple of close losses, a penalty ridden game, it can add up. I don't think it will happen but I have to accept a possibility.

If I was going to seriously consider their record for the next six games, I would have to go with 4-2 to end up 12-5 once again as a wildcard team....once again.

I also have to accept the possibility of a best case scenario, there is a percentage there as well.

75boyz

Reaction score

Agree.
Nice post.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We beat the crap out of bad teams

We lose to good teams

Only thing that will change that narrative is a bunch of wins over the next month to actually setup the team going into the playoffs vs stumbling into them.
Exactly!

They had an easier stretch of their schedule recently to beat up on bad teams, which they did.

Happy for that.

But now comes the real test of whether or not they’re a ‘good team’ or a ‘great team’.

Well get our answers over these next 6 games.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
No, I mean take out all Cowboys games in wins and losses. In other words, what would be their combined record playing all other teams except the Cowboys. That way, their combined record isn't influenced by the Cowboys game.
But you’d have to do that for every winning team to see how it compares, which would then normalize all of the opponent records and Dallas would still be at the bottom.