Twitter: Keanu Neal choosing between Dal and NYJ

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Stock up on extra picks
Me likey

In the most recent mock draft I did, the Saints gave me, if I remember rightly, their 1, 2, 4, and a 2nd next year for Pitts at 10. Without hesitation, I took that deal. I think that's a very reasonable expectation of a trade down if Pitts is still there at 10, which would be a good deal. Depending on the bidding war, I think we might even be able to get a 1, 2, 5, and a 1st next year. Either way, one of those deals would be excellent for us.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
In the most recent mock draft I did, the Saints gave me, if I remember rightly, their 1, 2, 4, and a 2nd next year for Pitts at 10. Without hesitation, I took that deal. I think that's a very reasonable expectation of a trade down if Pitts is still there at 10, which would be a good deal. Depending on the bidding war, I think we might even be able to get a 1, 2, 5, and a 1st next year. Either way, one of those deals would be excellent for us.
So your compensation was for basically a blue chip player. Which is why if the Cowboys think he's a blue chip player they make the pick themselves.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Keanu Neal isn't to blame for what he's doing to secure his future. Neither is he to blame for Dallas being in the weak position they're in. :facepalm:

What the C'boys and their organization was in the past and are now are two very different stories. Jerry and son were 100% to blame for 2021.

Unfortunately, both Jerry and Stephen happen to believe that they're the same competent organization that they chose to manage so clumsily!

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So your compensation was for basically a blue chip player. Which is why if the Cowboys think he's a blue chip player they make the pick themselves.

And they very well might. As stated before however, my thought process is more supply and demand. There's a large supply of pass catchers. As good as Pitts is, and, as stated, I wouldn't be upset if we got Pitts. I can certainly understand it. However, there are a lot of other pass catchers in the draft and that's not our most pressing need. Safety and 1T DT are our most pressing needs. There are several excellent 1T DTs in round 2 and beyond. So, no need there in round 1 (though Barrmore wouldn't be a bad option in a trade down either). Especially considering that most of the 1 DTs are capable of starting game 1. However, safety is not the same story. Outside of Moehrig, Holland, and Grant, there isn't much else at safety that you can choose that can start game 1. If those 3 get drafted before we can get them (Holland's the most likely to last the longest of the 3), then we had better have a solid veteran in place that can buy us time with whoever we end up drafting. Paris Ford would be a possible draft choice in round 5, but I hate the thought of starting a 5th round S immediately. IF we get Kazee, then Ford MIGHT work, and that's a HUGE maybe. So, logically speaking from that standpoint, trading down and taking Moehrig makes the most sense to me.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
And they very well might. As stated before however, my thought process is more supply and demand. There's a large supply of pass catchers. As good as Pitts is, and, as stated, I wouldn't be upset if we got Pitts. I can certainly understand it. However, there are a lot of other pass catchers in the draft and that's not our most pressing need. Safety and 1T DT are our most pressing needs. There are several excellent 1T DTs in round 2 and beyond. So, no need there in round 1 (though Barrmore wouldn't be a bad option in a trade down either). Especially considering that most of the 1 DTs are capable of starting game 1. However, safety is not the same story. Outside of Moehrig, Holland, and Grant, there isn't much else at safety that you can choose that can start game 1. If those 3 get drafted before we can get them (Holland's the most likely to last the longest of the 3), then we had better have a solid veteran in place that can buy us time with whoever we end up drafting. Paris Ford would be a possible draft choice in round 5, but I hate the thought of starting a 5th round S immediately. IF we get Kazee, then Ford MIGHT work, and that's a HUGE maybe. So, logically speaking from that standpoint, trading down and taking Moehrig makes the most sense to me.

I honestly believe you're totally correct in what you've posted here. Either Barmore or Meehrig make a world of sense to serve the defense well and very effectively get the most talent value in the process. For the Dallas FO to differ from the past enough to overcome their reluctance to avoid doing so would be an impressive step forward for them, imho. I dearly relish the mere thought of our FO and staff seeing fit to do so. ;)

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I honestly believe you're totally correct in what you've posted here. Either Barmore or Meehrig make a world of sense to serve the defense well and effectively, get the most talent value in the process. For the Dallas FO to differ from the past enough to overcome their reluctance to avoid doing so would be an impressive step forward for them, in my humble opinion. I relish the mere thought of them seeing fit to do so. ;)

Exactly, and the rest of the draft, in my mind, hinges on what we do in round 1. If we take Pitts, then we are gambling that the best defencive help we can get will still be there rounds 2 and 3. If we get Pitts at 10, then we have to get McNeil or Tufele at 44 (best 1Ts in the draft besides Barmore) followed by Holland and Cox or Davis from Kentucky (if he's there) in round 3. If we get Barmore, then Grant becomes the logical choice at 44 followed by Browning from Ohio State or Davis from Kentucky, or we can go Browning at 44 and Holland in round 3. If we go Moehrig, then DT and LB become the options but we won't need to go Holland (as much as I'd still want him anyway). That's my take on the draft atm unless someone else rises up the boards.

Hardline

Reaction score
But what is the value of Pitts here? This team is pretty stacked with pass catchers. They have arguably the best WR trio in the NFL. They have TBs that can catch the ball. Their TEs aren’t elite but more than solid.

So what does adding Pitts really give you? I get BPA but at some point you are just continuing to make this a lopsided roster which has been a huge problem for years now.
Pitts gives you Gallups replacement a year early. You don't draft with next season in mind only.

Last edited:

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
What? How did you come to that conclusion from that post?

Because people have been saying "any player can bust" and using that as a rationale to be unconcerned about bpa. But the whole purpose of these player rankings are to get the best possible players. If you are just going to ignore that then you can just get a player later to play better than more highly touted prospects. That seems like the logical conclusion of that rationale to me.

Adreme

Reaction score
Pitts gives you Gallups replacement a year early. You don't draft with next season in mind only.

He is more than that. He is a complete and total mismatch on every level. He is so good at receiving he could be the 2nd best WR if that were his only position. This means he cannot be covered by a LB, but if you put a corner on him and its a run play he just nails that block to break the play open. He would be this teams Kelce or Gronk from 10 years ago without the injury concerns. He would make 3rd and medium feel like 3rd and short.

Also, yes if you are drafting for right now your team is going to continually fall short. The core of your team is built on the draft of 2, 3, and 4 years prior. This is why 2020 was a such a disaster as the 2017, 2018, and 2019 drafts were all a mess.

rambo2

Reaction score
I think that the QBs will go too. And I will concede that at 10 the best players are likely to be offense. However, we are not in need of more pass catchers. We've got a lot of that. In my mind, a trade down is best. If we trade down with at team like the Saints, then the best player would be Moehrig which is who I think we need.
If Slater is on the board at 10. They probably should take him. That would give them an excellent left tackle for the next 5 years.