Kellen Moore was phenomenal

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Sure, we can Monday morning QB this thing and say he should’ve ran here or there but my gosh the play designs were on point and the timing of some of those calls were just perfect.

Dallas gave Garrett 10 years to come up with something and it ended with us playing football in the stone age while Moore has us using several formations and creativity on offense making us not very predictable.

That was a phenomenal game by him imo.

He was a chess player last night and it’s just a reminder how good it is to be away from Jason Garrett football. You know he’s at home watching thinking he would’ve crashed Zeke into Vita Vea 40 times.

Some boneheads here calling for more balanced offense, what kind of idiotic thing to say when you can see with your own eyeballs that TB was not being handled up front by the OL and running Zeke was just a waste of down and time. The short passing game was used as "running" plays instead, nothing wrong with that, KC does it all the time. But you saw what TB did to KC recently.....so Dallas outdid that and more. TB could not stop them. You can't fault Moore for attacking the TB weakness. And that they did. Unfortunately, they needed one more play to win this game. Came up short.

The same boneheads who were saying Dallas was going to get massacred are now crying about a balanced offense could have won it for them? What a laugh.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Some boneheads here calling for more balanced offense, what kind of idiotic thing to say when you can see with your own eyeballs that TB was not being handled up front by the OL and running Zeke was just a waste of down and time. The short passing game was used as "running" plays instead, nothing wrong with that, KC does it all the time. But you saw what TB did to KC recently.....so Dallas outdid that and more. TB could not stop them. You can't fault Moore for attacking the TB weakness. And that they did. Unfortunately, they needed one more play to win this game. Came up short.

The same boneheads who were saying Dallas was going to get massacred are now crying about a balanced offense could have won it for them? What a laugh.

People can’t let go of the 90s and still think football is played that way.

Heck Jason Garrett couldn’t let it go and he’s supposedly a professional.

You run when they can stop it. You pass when they can’t stop it.

Was there any reason to run it last night? They still bit on nearly every play action we ran last night with 0 establishment of the run game.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
People have no idea how many plays Dak missed last night....and it was a lot. How many times did Collingsworth mention Dak was locking onto the X WR...the whole night...which ment he was predeterming his throws instead of reading the field. I quit counting how many TDS he missed after the 3rd quarter...8 missed scoring plays....guys were wide open.

You cannot, I repeat CANNOT say that stuff on here. You will be sanctioned, called names and someone (Rockport) will accuse you of having an agenda!!!!!!!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Totally agree. I’m bewildered by some of the complaints I’ve read about the pass-run ratio. They did a great job scouting the opponent, installing a game plan and executing that game plan.

Most of you know I’d be the first to rip them if I thought it was trash.

Kellen Moore had a incredible night.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You cannot, I repeat CANNOT say that stuff on here. You will be sanctioned, called names and someone (Rockport) will accuse you of having an agenda!!!!!!!

Maybe he missed some but all things considered Dak was phenomenal and that’s just the reality.

That was what carrying a team looks like as opposed to playing not to lose which he’s done so much of in the past.

After 1 game and all things considered I’m extremely impressed with Dak’s game last night. He was great.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
The offense lost the game, plain and simple. The defense gave them multiple turnovers and they won the time of possession battle. They lost because they couldn't get points on the board.

Maybe Tampa's stout defense had something to do with it.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
Maybe he missed some but all things considered Dak was phenomenal and that’s just the reality.

He was pretty good. He led the team, played hard, stayed focused, made some really good decisions with the ball. He made some Great passes, but he made some poor ones, some of which resulted in TD's by the way. Don't get me wrong, I DO NOT BLAME DAK PRESCOTT FOR THE LOSS!!!!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I thought McCarthy called the plays? He had the sheet in his hand and I didn't see Kellen with one.

Kellen Moore is the playcaller. McCarthy got told it would be Kellen after he hired on and pretended like it was his idea to not make Jerry look like he’s controlling the HC.

Soth

Reaction score
Sure, we can Monday morning QB this thing and say he should’ve ran here or there but my gosh the play designs were on point and the timing of some of those calls were just perfect.

I liked the game plan. You take what the defense gives you. We attacked their weakest CBs again and again.

I don't think we will have a similar game plan the rest of the season. The most favorable match up against TB was Cooper, Gallup and CDL against their CBs. We always complain that the cowboys can't take advantage of a favorable match up but this time they did.

Tampa did the same thing. Brown vs Brown was like a money play for them. Why rush the ball when they could just abuse Anthony Brown all night?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No, he wasn't. His shortcoming is the same. When Dallas gets into the red zone, they can't seem to score touchdowns on a consistent basis.
And that is a product of play calling.
And please don't tell me it's the players. How come the players can move up and down the field, but when we get into the red zone we can't score?
If it's the players, then the players shouldn't be moving up and down the field on the best defense.
Kellen is the beneficiary of some excellent offensive talent. A hamster could be the Cowboys' offensive coordinator and have about the same results.
We need Kellen to devise creative plays to get us in the end zone.
How come Brady can score 4 times when necessary, but we have to settle for field goals?
Why are we passing three times inside the red zone?
Why aren't we running the clock down?
Dak is to Kellen what Romo was to Garrett, covering up coaching deficiencies.
He has to IMPROVE his red zone play calling or we're going to be right where we've been the past few years - revving our engines but stalling when we need to be scoring.
:hammer::hammer::hammer:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He cant let a D take away our Rb's......needs elements of WCO, long handoffs to get them involved ...
tampa had issue running too and they started to use screen passes to RBs...which are like long handoffs....we did it a couple of times, it was effective, but then didn't use it any longer....Moore got away from that and those kind of plays loosen up the defense.....

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Dallas gave Garrett 10 years to come up with something and it ended with us playing football in the stone age while Moore has us using several formations and creativity on offense making us not very predictable.

That was a phenomenal game by him imo.

He was a chess player last night and it’s just a reminder how good it is to be away from Jason Garrett football. You know he’s at home watching thinking he would’ve crashed Zeke into Vita Vea 40 times.
100%

Ands it’s because he did the exact opposite of what you wanted him to do.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Most of you know I’d be the first to rip them if I thought it was trash.

Kellen Moore had a incredible night.
Moore had a average to below average night....sorry to disagree. he made too many crucial mistakes..his play calling wasn't that creative, nor that good. its just that we have great personnel that can execute any play....inside the redzone he made many mistakes with wrong personnel grouping, his route combinations were chaotic at best. he seems to go into games without a real plan of what it is he is trying to accomplish or establish.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Moore had a average to below average night....sorry to disagree. he made too many crucial mistakes..his play calling wasn't that creative, nor that good. its just that we have great personnel that can execute any play....inside the redzone he made many mistakes with wrong personnel grouping, his route combinations were chaotic at best. he seems to go into games without a real plan of what it is he is trying to accomplish or establish.
Moore was the best coach last night by far. Near flawless.

some fans just don’t understand football.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Moore was the best coach last night by far. Near flawless.

some fans just don’t understand football.
he was not flawless. far from it. on the interception that was a very bad route combination he called that put two recievers in the same area, which brought 4 defenders in play....Dak made a great through, even if CD makes the catch, it was a bad call.....

on the zeke run at the two, he had the wrong personnel grouping, isolating Jarwin, a notoriously bad blocker on a saftey. he whiffed and zeke had no chance, despite Dak and zeke executing a perfect toss/pitch....

on the last drive, he made several mistakes, and he should have talked to his players to let them know they need to stay in bounds....he needed to eat the clock. goal is to score a TD, if not, a FG, but regardless make sure you don't leave any time on the clock for the other team....we kept running out of bounds, stopping the clock...we had three time outs left and could have used them if necessary.

he used the screen pass a couple of times and it was successful, then he stopped using it, to help loosen up the pass rush and the pass defense and the middle of the field.

it was the players high skills that executed the plays, not the play design or the play call. he sucked inside the redzone and couldn't figure out how to get to the end zone...going 1 for 4....he had same issues last night.

the offensive output was sheer skill and will of the players, not Moore.

I don't think you understand football....I am breaking down his mistakes for the game and shall post that soon once I finish rewatching the game.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
People can’t let go of the 90s and still think football is played that way.

Heck Jason Garrett couldn’t let it go and he’s supposedly a professional.

You run when they can stop it. You pass when they can’t stop it.

Was there any reason to run it last night? They still bit on nearly every play action we ran last night with 0 establishment of the run game.

If Garrett would have still been our coach he would have run it up the middle 30x times only to be stifled consistently. Our offense last night had no semblance of a Garrett's dumby-down 90s offense. To say that Moore still are following Garrett's playbook is just plain wrong.

However, we are still cursed Garrett's inability to get it into the redzone. That is what Moore has to deal with here. Maybe just sign Dez Bryant off the streets. Don't think Noah Brown is our answer.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Don't mistake the call for balance to mean we want 50/50 pass run.. At least that's not what it means to me.. I want us to be able to run when we NEED to run.. whether it be 15 times or 35 times.. Yes we did a decent job of attacking their weakness on defense but we also allowed them to completely take away a huge part of our game and we really let them do it without forcing them to show it. Especially later in the game after their fat guys were gassed and we needed to eat clock to keep from leaving Brady too much time would have been the perfect time to pound them .. All the passing in that situation not only left too much time for them but it also continued to expose our franchise QB to unnecessary hits even after watching him take a beating all night long. In that situation once we were in FG range seconds were more important than yards so continuing to throw there was the wrong call. I cannot speak for others but THAT is the balance I was looking for.. Not 35 plunges into the teeth of the defense..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
If Garrett would have still been our coach he would have run it up the middle 30x times only to be stifled consistently. Our offense last night had no semblance of a Garrett's dumby-down 90s offense. To say that Moore still are following Garrett's playbook is just plain wrong.

However, we are still cursed Garrett's inability to get it into the redzone. That is what Moore has to deal with here. Maybe just sign Dez Bryant off the streets. Don't think Noah Brown is our answer.

This is not the worst idea in the world but let's see if Brown can fill that role first.. Well that's not what I would want but I know that's what they're going to do. But back when the Cowboys had a healthy Dez and Witten they were money in the red zone.. Sometimes It's not the X's and O's it's the Jimmies and Joes.. If this team doesn't find a red zone beast it's going to have a lot of nights like last night where they end up kicking field goals ...

kwcool619

Reaction score
Kellen Moore sucks. Period. He is basically a Garrett clone who runs a 1991 playbook with the same tired pass routes. The reason he has to settle for field goals so often is that defenders already know where the receivers are going. He has no clue how to get the ball to Zeke or Pollard if his 3 running plays don’t work. And Jarwin not getting a better block was unfortunate? Great coaching to have the worst blocking TE on the roster put in a position to make a pathetic attempt at a block on a key play. God, even the hotdog vendors know Jarwin sucks as a blocker.
Moore had no qualifications to be an OC in this league. He is a Jerry project trying to learn on the job: Garrett 2.0

I have been frustrated with Moore's RedZone offense for the past couple of seasons. I feel he leaves too many points on the field.