Kellen Moore was phenomenal

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I have been frustrated with Moore's RedZone offense for the past couple of seasons. I feel he leaves too many points on the field.

You and me both.. Moore absolutely DOES NOT want to run the ball in the red zone.. which would be okay if we had a Dez type receiver or a Witten type tight end but we just don't. Our guys are finesse receivers.. Which means they gotta get present a target before Dak will throw it to them. For the most part none of them is going to go up and fight for the ball and take it off the DB's helmet or just post up a yard deep into the end zone and box out the way we saw Witten do so many times..

Zman5

Reaction score
His play design is very creative. Especially compared to the clapper. I think almost every play we ran last night had a pre snap motion. Something JG would almost never do.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Moore was pretty good last night no doubt.. I was especially happy to see them keep feasting on #35.. That was something Jason Garrett NEVER would have done.. The Cowboys had to have targeted him 15 times and probably completed 12-13 of them and got 2-3 penalties. If prime Dez is in this game he goes for 300 yards. As good as Coop, Gallup and Lamb were I would kill to have seen a beast like Dez getting that many opportunities against that secondary. And Dez type receiver would be a BIG help in the red zone. Noah Brown needs to get well.. We need a big body over the middle receiver in that area. All the guys we have are great finesse receivers .. we need a guy who can just post up and bring the ball down while being mugged.
Honestly the 2 plays I can recall that I would question was the 4th and 2 from inside Tampa's 5....and the run play early...deep in our territory...on 3rd and short. Other than that...he kept the chains moving...can't ask for more. I've heard people ***** all day about having balance on offense...well if something isn't working why waste time when you found a weakness and are able to exploit it?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Sure, we can Monday morning QB this thing and say he should’ve ran here or there but my gosh the play designs were on point and the timing of some of those calls were just perfect.

Dallas gave Garrett 10 years to come up with something and it ended with us playing football in the stone age while Moore has us using several formations and creativity on offense making us not very predictable.

That was a phenomenal game by him imo.

He was a chess player last night and it’s just a reminder how good it is to be away from Jason Garrett football. You know he’s at home watching thinking he would’ve crashed Zeke into Vita Vea 40 times.
eh, overall too much passing, he called plays like they were down by 21. Also he kept calling that same play to the left sideline over and over and over, well past the point it was working. Not even close to "phenomonal"

khiladi

Reaction score
Kellen Moore was essentially running Scott Linehan's offense not Jason Garrett. Moore was not here when garrett ran his offense and called plays.

And Moore was with Linehan in Detroit and Linehan had him as the practice QB, meaning keeping the team familiar with the offense. These guys continue to latch onto Garrett as an excuse, even though Garrett was banished from play calling by 2014.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Funny how Moore constantly gets the credit being ranked at #21 in the offensive coordinators dept. while MM keeps getting dished.

Just a reminder, Moore was under Garrett as well & never seen such compliments. Hence, why MM deserves the credit!

fivetwos

Reaction score
Sure, we can Monday morning QB this thing and say he should’ve ran here or there but my gosh the play designs were on point and the timing of some of those calls were just perfect.

Dallas gave Garrett 10 years to come up with something and it ended with us playing football in the stone age while Moore has us using several formations and creativity on offense making us not very predictable.

That was a phenomenal game by him imo.

He was a chess player last night and it’s just a reminder how good it is to be away from Jason Garrett football. You know he’s at home watching thinking he would’ve crashed Zeke into Vita Vea 40 times.
I remember thinking the offense looked different in a good way early on, so I won't disagree with that.

NFL coaches are going to eventually need to get it through their heads though that scoring late, unless it puts you up by 9 has to also include the bleeding of the clock.

Giving the ball back to Tom Brady with 1:26 left down one.....who saw the outcome differently?

Not just Moore....many teams do this. That's not an MM thing at that point really.

Not trashing Moore in any way, but its way too easy to score in 2021.

Killing the clock has to be a thing moving ahead.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
People can’t let go of the 90s and still think football is played that way.

Heck Jason Garrett couldn’t let it go and he’s supposedly a professional.

You run when they can stop it. You pass when they can’t stop it.

Was there any reason to run it last night? They still bit on nearly every play action we ran last night with 0 establishment of the run game.

Yet you argued with me that the game plan should be to focus on running Zeke.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I remember thinking the offense looked different in a good way early on, so I won't disagree with that.

NFL coaches are going to eventually need to get it through their heads though that scoring late, unless it puts you up by 9 has to also include the bleeding of the clock.

Giving the ball back to Tom Brady with 1:26 left down one.....who saw the outcome differently?

Not just Moore....many teams do this. That's not an MM thing at that point really.

Not trashing Moore in any way, but its way too easy to score in 2021.

Killing the clock has to be a thing moving ahead.

Do you think that Moore designed it so that he could give Brady the ball back with 1.26 to go?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't mistake the call for balance to mean we want 50/50 pass run.. At least that's not what it means to me.. I want us to be able to run when we NEED to run.. whether it be 15 times or 35 times.. Yes we did a decent job of attacking their weakness on defense but we also allowed them to completely take away a huge part of our game and we really let them do it without forcing them to show it. Especially later in the game after their fat guys were gassed and we needed to eat clock to keep from leaving Brady too much time would have been the perfect time to pound them .. All the passing in that situation not only left too much time for them but it also continued to expose our franchise QB to unnecessary hits even after watching him take a beating all night long. In that situation once we were in FG range seconds were more important than yards so continuing to throw there was the wrong call. I cannot speak for others but THAT is the balance I was looking for.. Not 35 plunges into the teeth of the defense..

LOL...........what a complete lie! Too funny. At least man up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is not the worst idea in the world but let's see if Brown can fill that role first.. Well that's not what I would want but I know that's what they're going to do. But back when the Cowboys had a healthy Dez and Witten they were money in the red zone.. Sometimes It's not the X's and O's it's the Jimmies and Joes.. If this team doesn't find a red zone beast it's going to have a lot of nights like last night where they end up kicking field goals ...

No, that is the WORST idea.

Besides...............Brown has looked good.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Do you think that Moore designed it so that he could give Brady the ball back with 1.26 to go?
Of course not....just saying that teams need to have this in mind nowadays.

Not just Moore amd not just Dallas. Happens all over the league.

It's so easy to get into FG range at the end of halves clock killing has to be in the mind of someone calling plays....and part of the strategy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Of course not....just saying that teams need to have this in mind nowadays.

Not just Moore amd not just Dallas. Happens all over the league.

It's so easy to get into FG range at the end of halves clock killing has to be in the mind of someone calling plays....and part of the strategy.

It sucks...........all they really needed to do was get one more first down and this game was over. Williams with the holding pentalty on Vea when he couldnt block him gave up any hope of that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nobody besides Rockport thought Dak could have a game like that after sitting out a year and half of training camp.

We both know that's not true. You and I argued as such and I said the game plan should be EXACTLY the way Moore did it.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Moore did a great job. no complaints, I hope he gets into the flow like he did Thursday.

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
I will withhold my judgement until I can see him mix it up more with the run game. We have 2 great and different backs and always a potential runner in the QB. We have to figure out ways to run, swing, screen, etc. Even against the #1 rated running D. We won't get far if we are one dimensional.

As good as we looked the other night, we are still in the same spot as we were last season. We have to sling it for 30+ to get a win. That's not going to cut it in the playoffs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I will withhold my judgement until I can see him mix it up more with the run game. We have 2 great and different backs and always a potential runner in the QB. We have to figure out ways to run, swing, screen, etc. Even against the #1 rated running D. We won't get far if we are one dimensional.

As good as we looked the other night, we are still in the same spot as we were last season. We have to sling it for 30+ to get a win. That's not going to cut it in the playoffs.

We won’t play from behind against the #1 ranked run defense who can’t cover every week.

The matchup called for it and Moore played it smart.

You build leads with the pass and close games with the run. We never got in that situation.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
No... Dak was phenomenal.

Moore gets a C+. His pass heavy gameplan was good, but running Zeke into a pile on 3rd and short goal line yardage with a bad blocking tight end was... putrid.