kid slaps mom

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3306591 said:
damn you are obsessed over that issue aren't you

Oh, stop.

You've broached the topic as much as anyone else.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
:D
CanadianCowboysFan;3306586 said:
would you prefer I beat the crap out of my 6 year old to teach him a lesson?

Yes! That is completely what he meant. He literally said beat your child sensesless so he learns not to kick you like that.

Funny how you resort to an extreme to TRY and prove a point.

A time out for sure was called for and a firm discussion followed by many NO's and maybe even his Tickle-Me-Ken doll put up high out of his reach.

But by all means, resort to an extreme.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3306597 said:
Oh, stop.

You've broached the topic as much as anyone else.

Wal Mart is beneath him and he is better than Wal Mart.

Im still laughing Scip.

I miss you PZ ;)

ethiostar

Reaction score
Dallas;3306578 said:
Mine did that to me once. I throat punched him.

I think he learned his lesson. Sings a bit off key now but we get along great.

NeckBrace.jpg

:lmao2:

Ok, that made me laugh out loud.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Dallas;3306578 said:
Mine did that to me once. I throat punched him.

I think he learned his lesson. Sings a bit off key now but we get along great.

NeckBrace.jpg

Man, I really wish I hadn't missed out on that Walmart thread. Sounds like it was a good time.

ethiostar

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3306586 said:
would you prefer I beat the crap out of my 6 year old to teach him a lesson?

:confused:

Is that the only disciplinary tactic that is in your repertoire?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ethiostar;3306612 said:

Ok, that made me laugh out loud.

I absolutely love my child and would never hurt him. I will however bust his A when he's getting out of line. I call it "getting his attention" and it is never overboard or intended for pain. I have not had to do that very often w/ him and he's 9 now. It is mainly because as a father I have had a firm guidance in his life and have never waivered in my style of upbringing of him. We have always had rules and things that are ok to do and things that are not ok to do. He just flat out knows right and wrong, pure and simple. It's easy for him and he is a better little boy because of it.

We have an exremely great relationship.

That lil one in your sig is adorable. :) I hung out w/ my little cousin yesterday, she's 3 months old. What a kick in the A babies are.

Glad to give her back to her mom though when I left. :D

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
tomson75;3306617 said:

Man, I really wish I hadn't missed out on that Walmart thread. Sounds like it was a good time.

well you couldn't help it, you were out shopping at Value Village

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3306625 said:
I withhold his Wii privileges.

I just stole your BWM and wrecked it while drunk. I know I will lose the Wii for a bit.

I am ok w/ that.

Love you Dad

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3306626 said:
well you couldn't help it, you were out shopping at Value Village

...and sometimes I just buy second hand. What's your point? Oh...that's right, you don't have one. If by some means you've meant to insult me with this comment, you've failed....but then I'm sure you've learned to deal with failure very well by now.

Sadly for you, even with my humble wardrobe, I still look better than you ever will.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dallas;3306624 said:
I absolutely love my child and would never hurt him. I will however bust his A when he's getting out of line. I call it "getting his attention" and it is never overboard or intended for pain. I have not had to do that very often w/ him and he's 9 now. It is mainly because as a father I have had a firm guidance in his life and have never waivered in my style of upbringing of him. We have always had rules and things that are ok to do and things that are not ok to do. He just flat out knows right and wrong, pure and simple. It's easy for him and he is a better little boy because of it.

That lil one in your sig is adorable. :) I hung out w/ my little cousin yesterday, she's 3 months old. What a kick in the A babies are.

When my oldest daughter was a baby I noticed something. We would play and I would swat her butt as she ran around trying to get away, but not really trying to get away. I could knock her flying and it was all fun and games. Swat her one time, not even half as hard when she did wrong, and the tears would flow.

It taught me that I didn't need to be violent to make a point to a misbehaving child. They get it. Immediately. Even as tiny ones they recognized tone of voice and body language. So I have never understood beating a child. Discipline, yes. I think all ids need it. Beatings? Naw, I don't get that.

I have rarely spanked either of my kids. I can probably count it on one hand for both of them combined. But my kids know I am in charge and I will not tolerate disrespect in my house. I expect a lot of them and have always let them know that. They've earned my respect because they exceed my expectations.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
tomson75;3306637 said:
...and sometimes I just buy second hand. What's your point? Oh...that's right, you don't have one. If by some means you've meant to insult me with this comment, you've failed....but then I'm sure you've learned to deal with failure very well by now.

Sadly for you, even with my humble wardrobe, I still look better than you ever will.

I highly doubt that to be the case.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Dallas;3306624 said:

I agree with you, children need discipline as much as they need love and affection. In fact i will argue that discipline is also a type of love. Some parents tend to get overboard with one or the other. Kids need to learn early on to distinguish from right and wrong and understand that there are consequences to their actions. And not all consequences are the same, they vary depending on the action that brought them on.

I love my boy (6 months old) to death and i shower him with love and affection every opportunity i get. But, when he is old enough to know better he will also learn how to behave responsibly and respectfully.

I was born and raised in a different country/culture and came to the US when i was in high school. You have to understand that in my culture we are required to respect our elders, not just our parents. That includes your older siblings, cousins, neighbors, etc... I had never seen children act up toward their parents.

I will never forget the first time i went with my American friend to his house (this story is not to suggest that all American kids are like this kid, obviously). When we got there, his mother was telling him that he was supposed to take the trash out a couple of days earlier and he needed to do it now. He said, not so respectfully and very loudly "I said I will do it later mom" and proceeded to push me into his bedroom and slammed the door shut. I didn't know what to do and in my head i was thinking, oh god this boy is as good as dead. His mother came up and knocked at the door and he yelled "I said not now, I'm busy". To my surprise his mother walked away without opening the door. :eek:

I'm sorry but i don't think my children would ever get to that point, none of my nieces and nephews act that way. But if ever my son did slam the door on me, that bedroom will no longer have a door and that's just for starters.

BTW, thank you for your comment about my boy, he is cute.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
As I wrote earlier in the thread, part of the problem is that we tell them they should not just do as adults want because that can get them into trouble. Don't go with that cop as he might be in a disguise and want to molest you, don't go with that stranger as he might molest you, don't go to the park alone, scream if someone comes near you and wants you to do something you don't want to do etc

Then of course, in their minds, it's like ok that flows with all, I don't have to do anything I don't want to do.

No means No.

There is a fine line but we don't want a series of drones who do what they are told, that stifles creativity.

We tell our son, stand up for yourself in class, on your hockey team etc. When I was young I was way too respectful of elders even when they were completely wrong. My dad could say I ate like a bird but if I said he ate like a pig I was the bad guy.

I think they are more benefits than detriments to standing up to your parents and adults in general. You need to draw the line at violence but the violent responses many of you are making are likely just internet bravado because I highly doubt many of you were strapped (a practice that went out oh by the 1950s) or severely belted by your parents.

The child in question was wrong but it was such a set up, it is beyond pitiful.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
ethiostar;3306654 said:
For everything he does wrong, no matter what he did wrong?

well not like there is much more in life he cares about right now. I paid too much for his hockey to deprive him of a practice/game if he misbehaves. I am not going to throw out his hockey cards or stuff like that.

Basically Wii hits him where it counts and that is the only real punishment that works at his age.

ethiostar

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan

As I wrote earlier in the thread, part of the problem is that we tell them they should not just do as adults want because that can get them into trouble. Don't go with that cop as he might be in a disguise and want to molest you, don't go with that stranger as he might molest you, don't go to the park alone, scream if someone comes near you and wants you to do something you don't want to do etc

Then of course, in their minds, it's like ok that flows with all, I don't have to do anything I don't want to do.

No means No.

There is a fine line but we don't want a series of drones who do what they are told, that stifles creativity.

If you aren't able to make a distinction between strangers and family to your kids i'm not sure what to tell you.

We tell our son, stand up for yourself in class, on your hockey team etc. When I was young I was way too respectful of elders even when they were completely wrong. My dad could say I ate like a bird but if I said he ate like a pig I was the bad guy.

Nor should you. If it wasn't clearly innocent and playful.

I think they are more benefits than detriments to standing up to your parents and adults in general. You need to draw the line at violence but the violent responses many of you are making are likely just internet bravado because I highly doubt many of you were strapped (a practice that went out oh by the 1950s) or severely belted by your parents.

Who is talking about being violent unless it was said in jest.