Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Because unless its OL this team sucks at drafting in the first round. And the second round for that matter.
yep, that Parsons guy sucks.
PS, I cant even write a response without the screen flying up and down due to ads.Cmon.......

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Because unless its OL this team sucks at drafting in the first round. And the second round for that matter.
Dang...Lamb and Parsons are going to be crushed when they learn they aren't any good and not worth 1st round picks.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
If Purdy had not panned out, the 49ers would have been looking for a new QB not on their roster. Again, it wasn't that he just fell victim to the fact Purdy got hot at the end of the the 2022 season and just kid of sailed into the job. Lance literally couldn't beat out freaking Sam Darnold for the backup job.

Lance's time in San Fran was done once that happened, regardless of what Purdy would have done.
Nope

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
If the cowboys are serious about the playoffs and contending, then Rush is my #2........If this is really going to be a sabattical year like it seems like its heading, I'd go with Lance or another project.
That may be the plan going forward, if Dak isn't resigned then Lance is the QB to tank with next season. He'd be an excellent tanking QB, runs well enough to provide some excitement, but doesn't throw well enough to jeopardize draft position.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
To piggyback on that he advanced metrics show that he got the ball out quick during the blitz, bought time while under pressure, and just generally wasnt the trainwreck many are making him out to be. The issue with Lance yesterday, and it's a massive issue is his accuracy. That's not always easy to correct and often times it isnt.
Yep, you just never know if he can correct those issues. Only thing that gives me some hope is that he was accurate on some passes (mostly when things were clean). I would much rather have a guy who seems to understand what is going on and then focus on his calmness & accuracy than a guy who is inaccurate and is struggling to know what is or should be going on.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Not to mention, he looked horrible in the times he did start for the 49ers. In 5 quarters he started, these were his stats.

15 of 31, 48.4 completion%, 194 yards, and 1 interception

Ben DiNucci one nfl start:
21 of 40, 53% completion, 180 yards
:laugh:
Damn. To deliberately lie like this is insane

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
As @thunderpimp91 said, he seemed to understand what was going on & getting thru his progressions (maybe a touch slow though), he kept his focus downfield, has a natural, easy throwing motion & he didn't turn it over.

With some reps I could see him getting thru the progressions quicker & being more relaxed which should help him get the balls more on target.

As for his natural running ability, he used it well but wasn't looking to run just for the sake of running. So, that shows he has the discipline to not just take the easy yards with his legs but force himself to navigate the pocket & deliver the ball to playmakers.

We will never know, but it feels to me that getting him experience without the pressure of being a high draft pick and he might have been a good QB by this time of his life.
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
im gonna watch the replay... there was one play where he scrambled and dumped it and someone was 20 yards downfield WIDE OPEN. Im talking nobody else was even in the screen, and He had no clue. I know that happens to all QBs, but im not sure how anyone watching TV can say how well he went through his progressions.
I don't remember that play. He certainly wasn't perfect.

I will give props to Rams though. Every time they pressured him left, they seemed to have two guys hustling with pressure on him and never giving him a chance to set himself & throw.

Adreme

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
He also was playing against a defense worse than ANY he would play against in a real NFL game. Those were low end ups and players fighting to show they belong in the NFL and he struggled. The fact that his throws were wildly inaccurate is his problem. The fact that against that level of player you arent jumping off the tape when trying to show you belong, is a problem. The fact that every weakness of his in that game is EXACTLY the thing people were saying were his weaknesses 4 years ago, is a huge problem. In year 4 he still is inaccurate and still cant read an NFL defense, even a basic preseason one. That is a major problem.

Desperado

Reaction score
13/24 for 143 yds, 0 Td, 0 Int.

That was Daks stat line in game 1 last year. CeeDee, Cooks, Pollard, Dowdle, Ferguson, Gallop, etc we’re all there to help. Yes, it was the Giants starters, but they were terrible. IIRC, Dak had a few high throws on short routes that game.
I’m not equating this to Lance … it was starters vs starters then, and backups vs backups yesterday.
But I am saying maybe we don’t write off a guy after his first game action of the year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Funny because there are Eagles fans on this board that want and are praying we re-sign Dak.

That should tell u all u need to know about him. It wont though because youre a homer
Eagles fans have this weird relationship with Dak they are envious they spent two first rounders on Wentz and we got Dak in the 4th round. Dak beats them most times he sees them but they enjoy it so much they want us to re-sign him. I can’t call it.

They for sure would rather us have Lance then Dak don’t let them fool you.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
I'm neutral with Dak, but he was terrific in his 1st preseason game with the same type of talent that Lance had yesterday.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Dang...Lamb and Parsons are going to be crushed when they learn they aren't any good and not worth 1st round picks.
They tried to screw up Parsons by trading down.

Lamb was a gift. The Cowboys did nothing of note except watch him fall.

Its not like they moved up to grab him.

Lets look at guys like Taco and Mazi Smith. Guys they drafted and were happy to grab.

Status
Not open for further replies.