Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Did Lance play against NFL starters? Or against car salesmen?

How did Dak look in his very first NFL preseason action as a ROOKIE?

You're in shambles, Angus.
:lmao2:
Dak had Dez, Williams, and Beasley his first preseason game.

Dak had his 1, 2, and 3 receiver.

The more you know.

Flamma

Reaction score
Did Lance play against NFL starters? Or against car salesmen?

How did Dak look in his very first NFL preseason action as a ROOKIE?

You're in shambles, Angus.
:lmao2:
Dak looked great in preseason. People were talking about it. But all situations aren't the same. Dak, like Lance, isn't playing with starters. That makes it a lot more difficult. Lance hasn't played a real game in a long time. Lets see what he does going forward. Lance needs more OL help than Dak did. Dak is a pocket passer, Lance is a first read/run QB. I have no idea why the 49ers drafted him. But you never know. He might improve.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Lance doesn’t get to play with his 1, 2, and 3 receivers in the preseason like Dak did.
That is the problem. They are not committed because he has not shown anything to be committed too as primary back up or starter. Also he was going against the Rams 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string players. Need to be a difference maker after being the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
You’re playing scared, bro.
Not at all.

You are talking about a FO that wanted to trade up for Lynch, and Connor Cook.

Then got Dak.

You keep wanting what this FO cant provide you. Jerry drafted Quincy Carter for cripes sake. You really trust these morons to draft the most important posiiton in sports?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
read I actually said.... I said his receivers were irrelevant to HIS performance. His passes sucked, and it wouldnt have mattered if he Had Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Megatron lining up for him, it wouldnt have changed the inaccuracy of his passes.
Dunno, Megatron might have come down with a couple of those high passes........ :laugh:

RonWashington

Reaction score
read I actually said.... I said his receivers were irrelevant to HIS performance. His passes sucked, and it wouldnt have mattered if he Had Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Megatron lining up for him, it wouldnt have changed the inaccuracy of his passes.

Ok got it receivers matter but not with this QB

:huh:

John813

Reaction score
The FO knows what they have in Cooper Rush as a backup. So my guess is that there will at least be 1 or 2 games where Lance gets to work with the Cowboys starters. Although he did still get a chance to start in one of the best offensive systems and one of the best offensive rosters in the NFL when he was with the 49ers. So it can't be said that he never got a chance to throw to better WRs/TEs than what he has to work with yesterday.

Don't know if the change of scenery will help him out or if McCarthy can get something out of him that Shanahan wasn't able to.

For sure. To be honest, never followed him that much in San Fran. But just want to see him here passing to someone like Tolbert or Turpin or even Ferguson to see if he still looks timid or has a bit more confidence

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Not at all.

You are talking about a FO that wanted to trade up for Lynch, and Connor Cook.

Then got Dak.

You keep wanting what this FO cant provide you. Jerry drafted Quincy Carter for cripes sake. You really trust these morons to draft the most important posiiton in sports?
You trust them to draft everywhere else.

Why not QB?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Be helpful if the defense was even giving the run game a passing thought . That’s some of the worst running attack I’ve seen .

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak was throwing to Dez, Beasley, and Williams in his first pre season game.

He had his 1,2, and 3 receiver.
I guess the season records in real games for that first season is unimportant, huh?

13–3 record

As a rookie, Prescott started all 16 games with 3,667 passing yards, 282 rushing yards, 29 total touchdowns, and only four interceptions, and his 67.8% completion percentage ranked fourth among NFL quarterbacks in 2016. With the Cowboys finishing the season with a 13–3 record, the team clinched the NFC East title.

Cherry picking really makes your point sound significant, doesn't it? Up until someone posts the above information.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Let’s be clear I was against this trade when it came out , no reason to give up a 4th on a QB SF had no plans for . Having said that to give up on the guy in his first extended action in over a year when his weapons and line play is questionable is foolish .

RonWashington

Reaction score
How about that stellar QB play for the Rams ? Pick after pick after pick …go around the NFL . Back up QB’s are for the most part a steep decline from the starter . In no way shape or form is Trey Lance anything than a possible back up in Dallas . Having giving up a 4th for him my leash is longer then one afternoon in LA .

Aven8

Reaction score
Here’s the big problem for Lance - He’s not a rookie. He’s in his 4th NFL season and has played in 8 NFL regular season games and actually started 4 games. If you’ve been in the league this long and still look like a 6th round rookie, its a problem.

I‘ve got nothing against this young man. I would love to see him become a future star at QB here - even a solid backup. But honestly, what I’ve seen so far in TC and yesterday, he doesn’t have it.

Bottom line for me - I’m pragmatic as a Cowboys fan. I’m not married to the idea that Dak has to be our QB. I would love to find someone better. But I also recognize good QBs don’t grow on trees.

And I am not so desperate to replace the QB that has a 73-41 regular season record AND a disappointing 2-5 playoff record that I wear rose colored glasses about Dak or when Trey Lance plays. Lance is still very raw. He definitely has some talent and size, but after 4 years in this league if a QB is still this unpolished, he probably does not have what it takes to be a starter.

If we can find someone better than Dak I’m all for it. But I haven’t seen this FO produce someone yet on this roster that fits that description. Dak has been disappointing to say the least in the playoffs. But so has the whole team. From what I’ve seen of Trey Lance so far, we havent found Dak’s successor.
Spot on. I might add when Dak was a rookie 4th rounder against those same Rams in a PS game he came in out of nowhere and let the world know he could play this game. Lance couldn’t even do that in his 4th year……I might also add that SF had more weapons than almost anyone with the similar results.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
what were the positives you see. He is fast.. to me that is no positive. He was born fast, so what.
As @thunderpimp91 said, he seemed to understand what was going on & getting thru his progressions (maybe a touch slow though), he kept his focus downfield, has a natural, easy throwing motion & he didn't turn it over.

With some reps I could see him getting thru the progressions quicker & being more relaxed which should help him get the balls more on target.

As for his natural running ability, he used it well but wasn't looking to run just for the sake of running. So, that shows he has the discipline to not just take the easy yards with his legs but force himself to navigate the pocket & deliver the ball to playmakers.

We will never know, but it feels to me that getting him experience without the pressure of being a high draft pick and he might have been a good QB by this time of his life.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I guess the season records in real games for that first season is unimportant, huh?

13–3 record

As a rookie, Prescott started all 16 games with 3,667 passing yards, 282 rushing yards, 29 total touchdowns, and only four interceptions, and his 67.8% completion percentage ranked fourth among NFL quarterbacks in 2016. With the Cowboys finishing the season with a 13–3 record, the team clinched the NFC East title.

Cherry picking really makes your point sound significant, doesn't it? Up until someone posts the above information.
This has nothing to do with Daks first preseason game, but cool I guess?

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If we only kept two qb’s who u keeping at 2? Lance or Rush? For me it’s easy, Lance.
If the cowboys are serious about the playoffs and contending, then Rush is my #2........If this is really going to be a sabattical year like it seems like its heading, I'd go with Lance or another project.

TWOK11

Reaction score
The complete and total lack of shame required for the OP to make this thread is actually impressive. Assuming this is genuine and not a grift, it’s actually a pretty cool case study in human psychology.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
As @thunderpimp91 said, he seemed to understand what was going on & getting thru his progressions (maybe a touch slow though), he kept his focus downfield, has a natural, easy throwing motion & he didn't turn it over.

With some reps I could see him getting thru the progressions quicker & being more relaxed which should help him get the balls more on target.

As for his natural running ability, he used it well but wasn't looking to run just for the sake of running. So, that shows he has the discipline to not just take the easy yards with his legs but force himself to navigate the pocket & deliver the ball to playmakers.

We will never know, but it feels to me that getting him experience without the pressure of being a high draft pick and he might have been a good QB by this time of his life.
im gonna watch the replay... there was one play where he scrambled and dumped it and someone was 20 yards downfield WIDE OPEN. Im talking nobody else was even in the screen, and He had no clue. I know that happens to all QBs, but im not sure how anyone watching TV can say how well he went through his progressions.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

To piggyback on that he advanced metrics show that he got the ball out quick during the blitz, bought time while under pressure, and just generally wasnt the trainwreck many are making him out to be. The issue with Lance yesterday, and it's a massive issue is his accuracy. That's not always easy to correct and often times it isnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.