Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak looked great in preseason. People were talking about it. But all situations aren't the same. Dak, like Lance, isn't playing with starters. That makes it a lot more difficult. Lance hasn't played a real game in a long time. Lets see what he does going forward. Lance needs more OL help than Dak did. Dak is a pocket passer, Lance is a first read/run QB. I have no idea why the 49ers drafted him. But you never know. He might improve.
he has been in this league for 4 years. he looked below average and lost. so lets give him more time? to do what?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Dez, Williams, and Beasley all played in Daks 1st preseason game.

Dak had his 1, 2, and 3 receivers.

Not at all the same type of talent.
Whats sad is you keep bringing this up.

Let me pose a question to you.

Lets compare situations regardless of players.

Lance knew he was getting the majority of snaps this pre-season and has been practicing as such in TC.

Dak was thrown into the fire because not only Romo got hurt but Moore as well.

Dak had literally 0 prep time with those number 1s you keep bringing up and put on a freaking show in his first PS game. Lance couldnt even get into the end zone regardless of the 4 picks he was gifted.

You seem to not want to compare the situations and keep dancing around the fact that Lance even with all of his preperation and work hes been doing looked like he didnt belong on an NFL field while playing against "car salesmen".

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Lance has a couple of more preseason games to show what he has. And I expect he'll get a chance to work with the starters in one of those games. So if he doesn't show signs of improvement, it can't be put on him playing with scrubs,
I agree with you. if they give him a run with the starters and he shows absolutely nothing--then it becomes a different discussion.

But as Parcells used to say--if you are going to ask me to cook dinner at least let me buy some of the groceries.
It's unfair IMO to give Lance hamburger helper and expect him to produce a gourmet meal.

Again--I'm not expecting huge things from Lance. Would love to be wrong on that, but I don't think he's the long term answer. But I'm open to seeing what he brings to the table. Last night--you can't tell much from that. Would need/want to see him with our best guys and see how he looks then.
Time will tell.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
He wasn’t very good by any means, but you have to put some context to it.

He finished the game 25/41 for 188 yards (188 yards on 25 completions is not good) and he was our leading rusher with 44 yards. Zero turnovers.

Now, not great or even that good for that matter, I know.

But…

He didn’t have Lamb, Cooks, Ferguson, or even Hendershot and Tolbert to throw to.

He was throwing to some guys that will be selling cars in a month and it showed with some ugly drops. He also had some ugly passes. They were sailing high a lot, but a couple drops hit guys right in the chest (I’m looking at you McMath)

He didn’t have Zeke or Dowdle (done after the 1st series) in the run game. I don’t think this would’ve made much of a difference anyways.

That O-Line y’all said sucked last year? Lance was having to play with their back ups.

All that combined with a very vanilla playbook and probably being told not to run much as to avoid injury.

I’d like to see him with actual NFL players around him, but unfortunately Dallas gives all the starters the preseason off, so that’s not gonna happen.

He played better than Bennett, that’s for sure, but still he wasn’t great and needs to show more if he wants to get a chance next season.

My opinion remains that we need to draft a QB in the first round regardless of how Lance performs and let Lance and the rookie battle for the starting job next season. It's time, Jerry.
Correct, if you want to compare it to Dak's last game which was with the Packers....he played alright for being his first game in a long time. He may not have won it, but he certainly didn't lose it for the Cowboys. Judge Dak's last game and you would be calling him a bum and buying him a one way bus ticket back to Palookaville, MS. How soon the Dak jocksniffers forget that stinko. Not saying he is the answer, i didn't ask Jerry to trade for him, but these people are eager to jump on his throat just to protect their so far playoff failure of a QB. .

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Whats sad is you keep bringing this up.

Let me pose a question to you.

Lets compare situations regardless of players.

Lance knew he was getting the majority of snaps this pre-season and has been practicing as such in TC.

Dak was thrown into the fire because not only Romo got hurt but Moore as well.

Dak had literally 0 prep time with those number 1s you keep bringing up and put on a freaking show in his first PS game. Lance couldnt even get into the end zone regardless of the 4 picks he was gifted.

You seem to not want to compare the situations and keep dancing around the fact that Lance even with all of his preperation and work hes been doing looked like he didnt belong on an NFL field while playing against "car salesmen".
You’re biased, Dak fan.

Just like me as a Dak doubter.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Lance couldnt make it work with Aiyuk, Debo, Kittle and McCaffery.

Three of which are future HOFer's.
Lance literally had the job until he got hurt.

It was the Dak/Romo situation all over again.

Purdy didn’t lose a game until conference championship.

What are you talking about?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
They tried to screw up Parsons by trading down.

Lamb was a gift. The Cowboys did nothing of note except watch him fall.

Its not like they moved up to grab him.

Lets look at guys like Taco and Mazi Smith. Guys they drafted and were happy to grab.
OK so lets judge the Cowboys strictly by their failures, and chalk every successful pick up to luck....give me a break.

This team has drafted 3 all pros in the first round since 2020. Jake Ferguson was a 4th rounder, Bland a 5th round all pro. Diggs 2nd round all pro. Biadasz 4th round multi year starter. OSA 3rd round multi year starter.

Over the last decade this team has been near the top of the league in drafting by pretty much any metric you want to pick. "The Cowboys did nothing of note except watch him fall" is one of the worst arguments I've ever heard....that's literally how the draft works. Would you have rather the Cowboys traded up to get the same player? Would you give them credit then? If the Cowboys don't get any credit for selecting Lamb what do you think about all of the teams that passed on the guy? Had the Cowboys not traded back and taken Parsons that would have been the better move?

jwitten82

Reaction score
I agree with you. if they give him a run with the starters and he shows absolutely nothing--then it becomes a different discussion.

But as Parcells used to say--if you are going to ask me to cook dinner at least let me buy some of the groceries.
It's unfair IMO to give Lance hamburger helper and expect him to produce a gourmet meal.

Again--I'm not expecting huge things from Lance. Would love to be wrong on that, but I don't think he's the long term answer. But I'm open to seeing what he brings to the table. Last night--you can't tell much from that. Would need/want to see him with our best guys and see how he looks then.
Time will tell.
We weren't expecting a gourmet meal. Everyone would've been fine if he produced hamburger helper, vut he couldn't even do that

jwitten82

Reaction score

Lance was given the job, he didn't earn it. The 49ers put so much into Lance, they had to start him

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score

The 49er's didnt want to admit their 1st rounder was a bust. Then he couldn't he beat out Sam Darnold for the back up role when he came back.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I can already see this thread is gonna give me lots of good ammo for this season.
You’ve been touting Lance as Dak’s replacement and you actually believe what we’ve been seeing so far from him training camp and preseason is providing you with lots of good ammo? You’re going to be firing blanks all season. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.