Lance Wasn't As Disappointing As Some Want To Believe Considering The Circumstances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proof

Reaction score
He stated that the Cowboys still need to draft a QB in the 1st round and that perhaps Lance should not be completely written off after 1 pre season game given he was playing with a lot of guys who will be selling cars etc by September.

It seems a pretty fair assessment. He isn't claiming Lance will be the next Tom Brady but whilst the jury seems to still be out on Prescott after 8+ years many have already written off Lance after one game.

I don't think Lance is the answer but pre season has not finished yet and it is weird at how much some supposed Dallas Cowboys fans hate on him. Odd individuals.
“one game” lmao. it’s his FOURTH year man. the gymnastics and intellectual dishonesty are crazy

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Lance literally had the job until he got hurt.

It was the Dak/Romo situation all over again.3

Purdy didn’t lose a game until conference championship.

What are you talking about?

Not exactly even the same. Romo would have gotten a starting job immediately on another team if he was heathy and decided that he wanted to be traded to a different team. And if Romo did decide to stay with the Cowboys, he wouldn't have lost the back up job and fallen to 3rd string like Lance did. It's not just like the Dak/Romo situation. Because Romo showed he could be a legitimate starter in the NFL, who could take the Cowboys to the playoffs.

Trey Lance struggled with an offensive system, coach and offensive weapons that 2 other different 49ers QBs at least got to the NFC Championship game with. Lance has shown nothing so far to prove that he is the answer to the Cowboys. The 49ers rather take their chances with Sam Darnold who didn't have much success with the Jets. Than keep Lance on the roster at least as a back up in case Purdy gets hurt and has to be out for a few games. They don't even see Lance as a valuable or decent enough back up option. Didn't even keep him as back up until they decided they wanted to trade him.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not exactly even the same. Romo would have gotten a starting job immediately on another team if he was heathy and decided that he wanted to be traded to a different team. And if Romo did decide to stay with the Cowboys, he wouldn't have lost the back up job and fallen to 3rd string like Lance did. It's not just like the Dak/Romo situation. Because Romo showed he could be a legitimate starter in the NFL, who could take the Cowboys to the playoffs.

Trey Lance struggled with an offensive system, coach and offensive weapons that 2 other different 49ers QBs at least got to the NFC Championship game with. Lance has shown nothing so far to prove that he is the answer to the Cowboys. The 49ers rather take their chances with Sam Darnold who didn't have much success with the Jets. Than keep Lance on the roster at least as a back up in case Purdy gets hurt and has to be out for a few games. They don't even see Lance as a valuable or decent enough back up option. Didn't even keep him as back up until they decided they wanted to trade him.
He makes some weird comparisons. Like trying to equate Lance sitting on the bench to Rodgers sitting behind Favre.

Lance clearly has talent. Dare I saw he has a stronger raw skill set than Dak for sure. But there's a reason why he struggled at times in San Fran and why they were willing to cut bait with him after three years with only a 4th round pick in return. Yeah, he initially was given the starting job but he was given a chance to get it back and instead of pressing Purdy in August camp, he ended getting outperformed by Sam Darnold. Repeat that, Sam Darnold.

He needs a ton of work At this point, championing him as Dak's replacement is more born out of the fact people just want to get rid of Dak than in actually believing Lance can be a good NFL QB in time.

Proof

Reaction score
The question is how many bad NFL teams can go 5-1 with a practice squad QB including beating a solid yardstick in the Vikings and the Bengals with Burrow? My answer would be zero so the point isn't that Rush is the long term solution but that Prescott isn't as he isn't the difference maker some would have you believe. The Cowboys must have had a good/very good team to go 5-1 with a practice squad QB unless it was the coaching?! Therefore, Prescott is not indespensible and that's the pertinent point.
it was an impressive and surprising run that i was grateful for, but is sensationalized. the pertinent question is “was it sustainable” and the eagles answered it emphatically. the defense was putting up some awe inspiring performances and rush was not asked to do much at all, and he played that role serviceably but he threw 5 tds in those 5 games with a sub 60 pct completion pct and 6.5 ypa. that’s just not going to win many ball games projected out. also worth noting the bengals lost to the steelers the week prior and did not look anything like the previous years team until later in the season

chagus

Reaction score
Look, on the eye test Lance looked mediocre. Yes, he is very athletic. Can scramble and has a strong arm. But, most his throws (the ones i saw, at least) looked high. He's got the gifts. He just isnt ready yet. I wouldnt have him as our BU QB this year. No way.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lance couldnt make it work with Aiyuk, Debo, Kittle and McCaffery.

Three of which are future HOFer's.
this dude just hates Dak. that's it. nothing more. nothing else. he argued that Lynch who got run out of two teams and NFL could have been a good QB in dallas. no proof. nothing. just that he would have had a better chance in dallas and would have succeeded. how? why? nothing. because Lynch is not Dak.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I can already see this thread is gonna give me lots of good ammo for this season.

Y’all hating on Lance for playing with car salesman better hope Dak plays lights out every week with the starters.
wow. just wow. this explains everything. this was all the purpose of your original post....to have something to complain about Dak during the season and you set the bar so high, lights out every week, else I am going to beetch like there is no tomorrow. this was it. this was the set up for you to complain during the season, because you don't even believe in Lance.

wow. just wow. speechless at lengths you will go to, to find something to complain about and then legitimize it.

so show me a single QB in NFL history who played lights out every week with their starters. just one QB. and it has to be every week of the season.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this dude just hates Dak. that's it. nothing more. nothing else. he argued that Lynch who got run out of two teams and NFL could have been a good QB in dallas. no proof. nothing. just that he would have had a better chance in dallas and would have succeeded. how? why? nothing. because Lynch is not Dak.
Like some people hate Lance.

He may or may not make it...cool. but we can't cheer him on along the way can we?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
...I loved Lance because of his mobility. He could run 1st downs with ease. If opportunities were there.

But reality, doesn't work like that. Accuracy, brains, poise, pocket awareness etc.... are some of the things a legit QB needs.

The guy needs work, obviously. That's why we have preseason. Will see more game #2.
I loved his running ability, the kid definitely has some speed, but that's about all I saw. Like you said, "the guy needs work", a bunch of it.

Swagger

Reaction score
it was an impressive and surprising run that i was grateful for, but is sensationalized. the pertinent question is “was it sustainable” and the eagles answered it emphatically. the defense was putting up some awe inspiring performances and rush was not asked to do much at all, and he played that role serviceably but he threw 5 tds in those 5 games with a sub 60 pct completion pct and 6.5 ypa. that’s just not going to win many ball games projected out. also worth noting the bengals lost to the steelers the week prior and did not look anything like the previous years team until later in the season
How many teams beat the Eagles that season and didn't they reach the Superbowl?

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
He makes some weird comparisons. Like trying to equate Lance sitting on the bench to Rodgers sitting behind Favre.

Lance clearly has talent. Dare I saw he has a stronger raw skill set than Dak for sure. But there's a reason why he struggled at times in San Fran and why they were willing to cut bait with him after three years with only a 4th round pick in return. Yeah, he initially was given the starting job but he was given a chance to get it back and instead of pressing Purdy in August camp, he ended getting outperformed by Sam Darnold. Repeat that, Sam Darnold.

He needs a ton of work At this point, championing him as Dak's replacement is more born out of the fact people just want to get rid of Dak than in actually believing Lance can be a good NFL QB in time.

Yeah now they're saying "Lance can lose just like Dak does." When Dak has shown he is good enough to win 10 games or more in the regular season most of the time and get Dallas into the playoffs. Where as Lance has yet to show he can be a QB who can even be decent enough to win as many games as Dak has been able to in the regular season. I understand the focus is on Dak having some bad playoff games and wanting a QB who is an improvement over him enough to get the Cowboys to the NFC Championship game and Super Bowl.

But some are now using the argument that if the team regresses or loses with Trey Lance, that it would be no different than the team losing playoff games with Dak. When the whole replace Dak debate was about the lack of postseason success with him as the QB and wanting a QB who can get the Cowboys over the postseason hump. So if some now are going to argue that they're fine with losing with Trey Lance or the team regressing with Lance as a starter, then it's not actually about them wanting a replacement who can improve this franchise. But as you said it's about them just disliking Dak and wanting to get rid of him.

Nav22

Reaction score
Dak looked great in preseason. People were talking about it. But all situations aren't the same. Dak, like Lance, isn't playing with starters. That makes it a lot more difficult. Lance hasn't played a real game in a long time. Lets see what he does going forward. Lance needs more OL help than Dak did. Dak is a pocket passer, Lance is a first read/run QB. I have no idea why the 49ers drafted him. But you never know. He might improve.
He has a star on his helmet, so I'm pulling for him too.

But this is his 4th year.

How many QBs in the history of the league still look totally clueless by year 4 and wind up becoming great NFL starters?

Dak tossed 36 TDs and 9 INTs last year. Over 4,500 pass yards and nearly 70% comp pct. Nobody can be confident that Trey Lance can fill those shoes in the near future.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
wow. just wow. this explains everything. this was all the purpose of your original post....to have something to complain about Dak during the season and you set the bar so high, lights out every week, else I am going to beetch like there is no tomorrow. this was it. this was the set up for you to complain during the season, because you don't even believe in Lance.

wow. just wow. speechless at lengths you will go to, to find something to complain about and then legitimize it.

so show me a single QB in NFL history who played lights out every week with their starters. just one QB. and it has to be every week of the season.
That dude has way to much time and hate on his hands. Must suck to be so negative and pretend to be a fan at the same time. Don't know whether to feel sorry for him or just continue laughing at him.....I'LL LAUGH!
:muttley: :muttley:

Status
Not open for further replies.