Latest Jaylon Smith tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldoputty

Reaction score
People with any type of disability will often take devices off at home to give themselves breather from it.

I did it too but when I got hurt, BUT I always wanted the device within reach IF i could not walk without it.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I don't mind what you're doing because we all want to know what's going on with Jaylon and I for one am hoping beyond hope he fully recovers.

I have chatted in threads with Fuzzy extensively.
He has done an incredible amount of research into this.
I know this because I have talked to PhDs in nerve regeneration about this (family members).

BTW, this is what the PhDs said.
Peripheral nerves almost always regenerate to the target muscle.
Whether it innervates the right places depends on the severity of the nerve injury and other factors etc.
As the surgeon said, this is a good case for that.
So I think the doctors are assuming that the nerve will get there.
The question is how much of the function is recovered - a lot of that is based on how hard Jaylon works, so we should be good there. There are other factors and some luck involved.
I have only talked to researchers.
Doctors who are actively treating patients in this type of injury may know the statistics for recovery for this 'amount' of nerve damage.

I dont think Fuzzy is saying anything definitively.
He is reading tea leaves just like everyone else when it comes to the pictures and tweets.

I dont know Doc well.
But he basically said the nerve recovery is based on meeting well known milestones.
Jaylon himself mentioned some milestones like feeling is steadily moving down his leg.

In terms how we are interpreting the pictures.
No one is absolutely sure.
I have been on clutches - not sure about you.
When I could not walk without clutches, I absolutely wanted those clutches within my arms' reach.
Nobody wants to depend others to bring the device to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

waldoputty

Reaction score
Nope.

Not that's not in the realm of realistic possibility apparently.

Absolutely.
But they almost always want the device within arm's length because they dont want to depend on others to bring it to them.
No one wants to be sitting on the floor unable to get up.

Again this is a matter of uncertainty.
100%, no.
But better than 50-50.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Absolutely.
But they almost always want the device within arm's length because they dont want to depend on others to bring it to them.
No one wants to be sitting on the floor unable to get up.

Again this is a matter of uncertainty.
100%, no.
But better than 50-50.

He's completely mobile. The foot has nothing to do with his ability to get up, stand up, walk down a hall, et cetera.

waldoputty

Reaction score
He's completely mobile. The foot has nothing to do with his ability to get up, stand up, walk down a hall, et cetera.

Actually I remember reading multiple places that Jaylon could not walk without the brace.
I dont remember the publications, but Fuzzy would know that.

waldoputty

Reaction score
he can walk without the device. People walk around with drop foot all the time...it just doesn't look pretty.

I just recall reading that he did not walk without the device.
Fuzzy would remember much better than me.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Actually I remember reading multiple places that Jaylon could not walk without the brace.
I dont remember the publications, but Fuzzy would know that.

I'd wager that when people with drop foot say they "can't walk without the brace," they mean can't walk normally or efficiently, the same as the way the woman was walking in that video on page 9 of the thread.

Jaylon's knee is fine. Drop foot isn't paralysis, as Wood said, you're mobile, it just isn't pretty or efficient.

Drop foot has nothing to do with you being able to sit up or stand up from a sitting position. The type of nerve injury Jaylon has is a common one and the drop foot simply doesn't allow him to natural pick up his foot as he walks as one does when they walk or run; your toes drag when you step forward.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I'd wager that when people with drop foot say they "can't walk without the brace," they mean can't walk normally or efficiently, the same as the way the woman was walking in that video on page 9 of the thread.

Jaylon's knee is fine. Drop foot isn't paralysis, as Wood said, you're mobile, it just isn't pretty or efficient.

Drop foot has nothing to do with you being able to sit up or stand up from a sitting position. The type of nerve injury Jaylon has is a common one and the drop foot simply doesn't allow him to natural pick up his foot as he walks as one does when they walk or run; your toes drag when you step forward.

Ok, I just dont know.
I am just going by what I recall...
Fuzzy may chime in tomorrow, after all it is Friday night...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
People with any type of disability will often take devices off at home to give themselves breather from it.

Sure but the picture in question was him playing with his 7ish year old nieces. If I had drop foot I wouldn't want to chase around kids without my brace.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Drop foot is paralysis of the peroneal nerve. He was playing with little kids and he said in an interview that he needed it at the time to help him walk and that he had it on then.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Sure but the picture in question was him playing with his 7ish year old nieces. If I had drop foot I wouldn't want to chase around kids without my brace.

The picture was of him posing with his nieces, not playing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wood

Reaction score
I just recall reading that he did not walk without the device.
Fuzzy would remember much better than me.

they might be at point in his rehab that they want to challenge his nerve since it hasn't completely fired on its own yet. So maybe few hours a day they want device off and hope to stimulate the nerve back into action. Personally, I think Smith is past the point of worrying about complete disability of left foot and now its just matter of how much function he gets back.

waldoputty

Reaction score
they might be at point in his rehab that they want to challenge his nerve since it hasn't completely fired on its own yet. So maybe few hours a day they want device off and hope to stimulate the nerve back into action. Personally, I think Smith is past the point of worrying about complete disability of left foot and now its just matter of how much function he gets back.

I think so, just cannot be 100% sure that many others here want to be.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

That is absolutely not true. Foot drop certainly interferes with the ability to walk and get up and down stairs. There is a reason why a brace is prescribed to keep the foot in a neutral position allowing better ambulation.

waldoputty

Reaction score

Actually may be the best evidence of progress is that Jaylon is in a good mood lately.
That good mood is not consistent with someone whose nerve is not recovering at all.

It is good that the complete disability may be past, even if he does not fully recover 100% his skills...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
If you cannot debate civilly then it's probably better to not say anything. Instead of the staff deleting posts you may find yourself benched or banned from this thread if it persists.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No one is discounting the possibility that the nerve is not firing. What seems to be discounted is the possibility that it is.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
That is absolutely not true. Foot drop certainly interferes with the ability to walk and get up and down stairs. There is a reason why a brace is prescribed to keep the foot in a neutral position allowing better ambulation.

Congrats. You said the obvious.

He's mobile. The context of my comments was the poster saying he couldn't sit up or get up from the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.