Latest Jaylon Smith tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iago33

Reaction score
We can't guarantee anything. The cases of this type that don't reach full recovery despite the early progress are those whose rehab isn't comprehensive or complete.

He's already regained some dorsiflexion strength, no longer has foot drop, and his push-off is almost full.

Worry is self-defeating behavior -- we should save the stress for things like childbirth.
I also would like to see where you've seen evidence he no longer has foot drop and has does flexion strength. I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Congrats. You said the obvious.

He's mobile. The context of my comments was the poster saying he couldn't sit up or get up from the floor.

If you put yourself in jaylon's shoes, you want to be able to get up and walk away WITHOUT bothering anyone to bring you the brace.
Anything else would be kind of silly since he has been living with this disability for 9 months.
When I had clutches, they were always next to me.
Absolutely dont want to be helpless waiting for others to bring them to me.
The brace is also much smaller than a set of clutches, so he could easily have kept it next to him without interfering with playing with the kids.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Congrats. You said the obvious.

He's mobile. The context of my comments was the poster saying he couldn't sit up or get up from the floor.

I was disagreeing with your statement in the post above: The foot has nothing to do with his ability to get up, stand up, walk down a hall, et cetera.

Without the brace it can be very problematic to ambulate esp with severe foot drop but even just some. Even with the brace it requires an adjustment to using different techniques and muscle groups to stand and walk.

So your statement is erroneous.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Sure but the picture in question was him playing with his 7ish year old nieces. If I had drop foot I wouldn't want to chase around kids without my brace.

I dont think Jaylon would run around after kids risking injury his million dollar knee/leg/ankle.
The brace helps him walk and probably protects him from accidentally falling.

Iago33

Reaction score
You can't just trust that I know what I'm talking about, and that I have liability for every option that I give?
I have been operating on the assumption that you have as much information about Jaylon's recovery as the rest of us (which is speculative as evidenced by this thread) but that you are able to interpret that evidence more effectively due to your medical background. If you have some inside information that the rest of us don't have, then that is a new revelation to me and I'll have to take it or reject it on faith. I want to believe he is recovering well, so I'm likely to accept your claim because it supports my hopes. I don't know you well enough to know how else to judge. Thanks for your input.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I was disagreeing with your statement in the post above: The foot has nothing to do with his ability to get up, stand up, walk down a hall, et cetera.

Without the brace it can be very problematic to ambulate esp with severe foot drop but even just some. Even with the brace it requires an adjustment to using different techniques and muscle groups to stand and walk.

Hi Jobberone

I started this thread.
It has received over 6000 views.
Everything that is constructive that can be said has probably been said.

Now we are left with angry arguments that cannot end.
Perhaps we should just lock it?

WP

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hi Jobberone

I started this thread.
It has received over 6000 views.
Everything that is constructive that can be said has probably been said.

Now we are left with angry arguments that cannot end.
Perhaps we should just lock it?

WP

Normally this would be deleted but we have a lot of newer posters so I'll explain. We take closing threads seriously. This is a forum for discussion of facts and opinions. If people go thru the trouble to post a new thread it should be respected if it is responsible. It is expected that responses will be within the guidelines. The staff stays on top of threads esp ones that devolve and become problematic.

Wood

Reaction score
I also would like to see where you've seen evidence he no longer has foot drop and has does flexion strength. I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.

he has zero evidence of any of that. Jaylon still requires device for his drop foot. That has not changed yet.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Moving with difficulty or inefficiency doesn't equate to not being mobile. A paraplegic is immobile on their own. Jaylon can ambulate without the brace. It's not as if he's immobile without the brace on which is what was being insinuated in previous posts.

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
Moving with difficulty or inefficiency doesn't equate to not being mobile. A paraplegic is immobile on their own. Jaylon can ambulate without the brace. It's not as if he's immobile without the brace on which is what was being insinuated in previous posts.

I dont know much about foot drop.
However, if I was in the Cowboys FO, I would be quite upset if Jaylon risked injury by walking around without the brace.
Foot drop seems like a serious injury risk if one were to walk around regularly without the brace.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
he has zero evidence of any of that. Jaylon still requires device for his drop foot. That has not changed yet.

If you need to operate in a world where there is one absolute outcome and not multiple probabilities then fine. Please just understand that not all people think like that.

I am not saying that it is certain that he has regained the ability to flex his peroneal. I am saying that it is possible. There is a picture of him with shoes on not wearing the brace. I understand that you have your alternate explanations. Maybe he indeed chills out with it off and his shoes on. The point is there is no more certainty in your interpretation as opposed to any other. Both outcomes are possible.

Rob-G

Reaction score
redemption ~

good grief...
tenor.gif

OMG OMG OMG

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont know much about foot drop.
However, if I was in the Cowboys FO, I would be quite upset if Jaylon risked injury by walking around without the brace.
Foot drop seems like a serious injury risk if one were to walk around regularly without the brace.

I have dealt with foot drop since I was 12 years old. I am now 57. I had operations on both my Achilles as well as other ligaments, and tendons. I had prosthetic that would fit under my socks and no one could tell if anything was wrong. I have not worn any such devices since I was 21.
I have stumbled and tripped at times, but that was more due to new shoes and usually on some type of carpet. Or just stepped on an uneven walk, as we all have done at times.

Oh yes, it did not stop me from playing sports either. Just not at a competitive level. But I never tripped or fell as where I hurt myself. And I can flex my feet though not very much. I do not blame Jaylon if he walks around without the device. I would encourage it. As it makes one feel better about healing. Now my causes are far more complex and different from a sports injury as Jaylon's. But none the less, I can sympathy with him.

Now if he can't flex the foot at all, and it just hangs there, yes use the brace, but it sounds as if that is not the case. But I have not read through all the posts either, just skimmed through them. If he has any kind of movement, then I say don't use it.
This is just from my own 45 years of experience with this. It's not something I read and make opinions. I am not accusing anyone of that, just making a statement of what I believe is fact.

Just my little bit of input here. Not sure if it helps or not, but there it is.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I have dealt with foot drop since I was 12 years old. I am now 57. I had operations on both my Achilles as well as other ligaments, and tendons. I had prosthetic that would fit under my socks and no one could tell if anything was wrong. I have not worn any such devices since I was 21.
I have stumbled and tripped at times, but that was more due to new shoes and usually on some type of carpet. Or just stepped on an uneven walk, as we all have done at times.

Oh yes, it did not stop me from playing sports either. Just not at a competitive level. But I never tripped or fell as where I hurt myself. And I can flex my feet though not very much. I do not blame Jaylon if he walks around without the device. I would encourage it. As it makes one feel better about healing. Now my causes are far more complex and different from a sports injury as Jaylon's. But none the less, I can sympathy with him.

Now if he can't flex the foot at all, and it just hangs there, yes use the brace, but it sounds as if that is not the case. But I have not read through all the posts either, just skimmed through them. If he has any kind of movement, then I say don't use it.
This is just from my own 45 years of experience with this. It's not something I read and make opinions. I am not accusing anyone of that, just making a statement of what I believe is fact.

Just my little bit of input here. Not sure if it helps or not, but there it is.

Sorry to hear about that, though it sounds like you had some recovery.
Thanks for sharing.

The only info I remember reading was that he could not walk at all without the brace.
I presume that means total paralysis of that muscle back at the time of the articles (~April).
Lets hope that is not the case currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.