Lions are signing Goff to a four-year, $212 million contract extension ($170 million guaranteed)

tomokawan

Reaction score
Goff wakes up every day and goes to bed every night clearly being a far better QB than Dak could ever hope to be.

C'mon, he was the 1st overall pick in his draft.
Dak was a 4th round pick and may have slipped further had Jerry not thrown a dart on his name in the war room.
Goff was a #1 pick and has as many Superbowl wins as Dak. The Rams won a Superbowl after they traded him. He is far better than Dak?? He is very good QB, but the same level as Dak. IMO

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yea, it’s not only grown… it’s evolved into higher entertainment value.

Many of the purist of the game itself have valid arguments on how the game has changed but there’s no going back now. It’s simply too profitable .
+1 .......especially with networks sitting on the sideline begging for a piece of the pie, regardless of cost. Players get what.......49%?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Goff was the #1 pick and has made a SB and an NFC championship game. The Lions should’ve gone to the SB last year too — they were dominating the 49ers the first half — but I have no idea why they folded.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Goff was a #1 pick and has as many Superbowl wins as Dak. The Rams won a Superbowl after they traded him. He is far better than Dak?? He is very good QB, but the same level as Dak. IMO
Dak went to a SB by himself, to accept an off field award.
Goff went to a SB with his team to play the game.
Goff also went to an NFC Championship with two teams.
(He also beat GB.)

Goff has a better arm and a better record against teams with a winning record. NFL GMs would take Goff over Dak every time. Only a fool would pick Dak over Goff.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
+1 .......especially with networks sitting on the sideline begging for a piece of the pie, regardless of cost. Players get what.......49%?
I think it’s currently 48% but it can increase every CBA and or new Network deal. Increased from 47% last time .

Networks with declining viewership due to streaming are willing to pay even more since NFL live brings in so many viewers . It’s becoming a lifeblood for them.

And sponsors are willing to pay top dollar. NFL has probably gained even more power with the Networks as a result.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It takes two to tango.......I am 100% confident Jerry is willing to pay Dak top 3 money right now, today but Dak thinks he can get way more with an NFCCG/Super Bowl under his belt. This is why he recently admitted he has no problem betting on himself....again.
Yep, Carr, Fields, D. Jones. Dak is not getting $60 million AAV. Somebody will, not him. He’s going to get a lot of money to play quarterback in the NFL. The more important thing is who will be the Cowboys’ quarterback 2025 and beyond.

GMO415

Reaction score
Dak wants that money? Dak has never been to the NFC Championship game twice, nor a SB like Goff. Dak will walk.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Yep, Carr, Fields, D. Jones. Dak is not getting $60 million AAV. Somebody will, not him. He’s going to get a lot of money to play quarterback in the NFL. The more important thing is who will be the Cowboys’ quarterback 2025 and beyond.
I find it very hard to believe Jerry is just going to let him walk for nothing.

and for the people advocating that the QB not be in the salary cap.. wouldn't that just mean they would get more money?

Praxit

Reaction score
Goff has ended up being the best QB from the 2016 class.

5-4 in the playoffs. More wins than those bums Dak and Romo combined.

8 TDs to 2 INTS in the his playoff career.

A Super Bowl appearance and leading the Lions, yes the Lions, to the NFC Championship game.

If any team pays Dak more than what Goff is being paid then they will deserve the failure that Dak brings them.
..cant dispute those stats. We cant even get to next tier in playoff contention.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Crazy money… greed is ruining this sport.

You can’t effectively field a team with the cap where it’s at and star players (agents) demanding to reset the market with every deal.

I am all for the owners sharing more of the pie with the players. I just think this system is fundamentally flawed in it’s current form.

Consider:

Troy Aikman’s highest cap charge was 16 million in 1999 (base of 6.667 million). He made a TOTAL of 55 million as a Cowboy (10 million of which was dead money) in 12 seasons

Now— in 1/3 the time (4 seasons), Jared Goff is GUARANTEED to make 3 X what Aikaman earned OVER HIS ENTIRE HOF CAREER.

That is not “inflation”. That is insanity.
I agree.. but I would just say its better than the highest paid player being whatever QB was drafted first.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No. There has to be a cap to preserve competitive balance. And the players deserve a large slice of the pie.

However, I would love to see the current cap structure reformed so that the market isn’t reset for each position every time the “next guy” gets a contract.

How that gets done and what that might look like— I will leave to financial dudes to sort out lol
I mean I get what you’re saying but the league seems to like this lol. They have no incentive to change..yet anyway.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
NBA television ratings are falling. NFL ratings are improving. It would be hard to convince the NFL owners to change the current formula.
Oh I agree. I’m speaking as a fan. NBA seems to be more popular than ever so not sure about the statement but if it is failing I can’t imagine it’s because of the salary cap structure.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I find it very hard to believe Jerry is just going to let him walk for nothing.

and for the people advocating that the QB not be in the salary cap.. wouldn't that just mean they would get more money?
Jerry’s choices now are sign him or say good bye to him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Goff has ended up being the best QB from the 2016 class.

5-4 in the playoffs. More wins than those bums Dak and Romo combined.

8 TDs to 2 INTS in the his playoff career.

A Super Bowl appearance and leading the Lions, yes the Lions, to the NFC Championship game.

If any team pays Dak more than what Goff is being paid then they will deserve the failure that Dak brings them.
Much like the QB who replaced him in LA, it's hard to win if the team isn't built to win. Matthew Stafford went from playoff bust to Super Bowl winner when traded from Detroit to LA. (He had been 0-3 in the playoffs.) Maybe what we need more than Goff is Goff's coach, but I don't think even that would be good enough with the front office we have running the show.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think it’s currently 48% but it can increase every CBA and or new Network deal. Increased from 47% last time .

Networks with declining viewership due to streaming are willing to pay even more since NFL live brings in so many viewers . It’s becoming a lifeblood for them.

And sponsors are willing to pay top dollar. NFL has probably gained even more power with the Networks as a result.
This tells you all you need to know........and fans wonder why players are getting paid so much$$$$$

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradad...-watched-tv-programs-in-2023/?sh=6e9d70a45cf3

NFL Games Made Up 93% Of The Most Watched TV Programs In 2023​

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My only concern with him waiting until 2025 is how or if it will affect his game. In other words, will he play scared.......worrying about injury? I don't think he will but you never know.