Lions Fans Create Embarrassing Billboard

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
70 did make a chest gesture but I also think the ref was confused. 68 also made a gesture that was less demonstrative and was actually talking to the ref. 70 contends he never said anything which is what he was yelling when Campbell was talking to the refs after the play. The video that the NFL released after says that a player has to make a physical AND a verbal sign to the ref to report. 68 appeared to do both. We can't see if 70 said anything but he contends he didn't and it would make sense that the ruse was to make a physical but not verbal report and think they could get away with it. I think the ref was confused because it's usually 70 that reports and he made the more demonstrative sign despite what 68 was trying to tell him while also doing a physical sign so the ref did a shortcut assumption.

As an aside, anyone who insists that the refs are out to get us or make "weird" mistakes when it comes to us is now adamant that the refs did nothing wrong here because they want to continue to use this 'spiracy excuse in the future when this proves that refs suck for everyone. So that's why you'll get this projected "angry about a win" message when you say we caught a break from the refs messing this up. It's hilarious because it's rich watching them now defend the very people they defame after every loss claiming they're biased. The same thing happened after the Philly game when the refs picked up 3 separate flags intended for us and double penalized a Philly player that allowed us to stack the penalty yardage. It fell under the "rare and unusual occurrences" they say only happens against us.
Who is adamant the refs have always been against Dallas but favored Detroit THIS time in order to help Dallas win?

Good lord...when the new conspiracy gets even worse than the old one...this is what we get.

Xeven

Reaction score
Was 23 seconds left after two point conversion. Plenty of time to get our FG kicker who says he can hit FG at 70 in range to win it. Sad to see poor ref calls but we get them every game. No reason to believe DC could not have got a FG with 23 seconds to work with.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
58 can't start in the slot and motion
Yes, he can. There is no requirement for an ineligible player to be tight up with other lineman. They can be as spread out as much as they want. Just so long as there are 7 on the line, and the five ineligible players are between the two that are eligible.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I honestly don't know all the intracacies of formation but I know you need to have at least 7 guys "on the line." The 2 guys at either end of those 7 guys are eligible receivers. Whoever is in between the guys on the end of those 7 guys on the line are ineligible. If 68 had been declared eligible like Detroit wanted, he was one guy "on the line" on the left end, so he's eligible. The L TE on 68's end was "off the line," moved back by a yard. He is also eligible because he's outside of the 7 that have to be on the line.

So after the shift, from left to right your 7 guys were (in bold): LTackle (68) LGuard, Center, RGuard, RTackle (70), Sewell (58), the R TE lined up off the line (he's ineligible because he's in between the 7), then the Right WR who was on the right end to complete the 7th guy "on the line." If 68 was declared eligible, this is a legal formation from what I know. But with 68 not being declared, he's not eligible because he wears #68 (hence needing to report). Because #70 was declared eligible, in this formation he is now the RGuard and covered up by Sewell (now the RTackle) and the outside R WR as one of the 7, but he's an interior guy who is ineligible. The NFL says you can't report as eligible and then go and occupy an ineligible position on the line at the snap so that's what makes it an illegal formation. Wish I could be more concise, lol.
no that pretty much confirms what I was thinking, good explanation, thanks

My confusion resulted from the part in red/bold.

From my vantage point, I Thought the guy just left of Decker was on the line also, making Decker ineligible whether he properly reported or not.

If that guy was off the line, he would have been eligibile and so would Decker, if Decker would have been declared as having reported.
So if he was declared eligible, you and I are in agreement that this was a legal formation as far as Decker was concerned. What made it illegal was that the guy who declared eligible (#70) went and occupied an ineligible position because he was covered up by Sewell.

we're on the same page, I just saw it wrong thinking that the guy to Decker's left had covered him. If he was off the line it wasn't by much from my vantage point.
thanks for explanation, this helped a lot.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Still has a point about there being a tripping call against Hendershot with turned a 2nd and short into a 1st and 25. Cowboys would have been more likely to try and run the ball to pick up the first or at least run more time off of the clock.. Can be said that the Refs handed the Lions an extra possession they would not have gotten if the Hendershot call was made correctly.

Can be said that the Lions are "leaking oil" due to Lamb fumbling the ball at the goal line or the Cowboys leaving points on the field and that the Lions can't count on other teams in the playoffs committing mistakes like that?
It would have been 1st & 10. The tripping, if called, would be 15 tacked on to the 7 Pollard gained, and with an automatic first down. Game would have realistically been over at that point. Only thing the Lions could hope for at that point is a fluke fumble. That's how bad that tripping reverse call was, and the media talking heads don't care anything about that or how it nearly robbed Dallas of a game.

Last edited:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
And the refs made up for their mistake later, did they not? Lol.
How did they "make up for it"? Did they screw the Lions?

Your facade you have tried to create about you and the officiating is crumbling.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
What's really going on?

I've been trying to figure that out. He was running full speed but still had Dak right in his sights. He might have drawn a penalty if he hit him square on.

But looking at it from this angle I think he thought he could just knock down Dak and his teammates would have been there to clean up for the safety. The weirdest part is he didn't even extend his right arm in an effort to sack Prescott. Just a strange all around effort.

kramskoi

Reaction score
70 did make a chest gesture but I also think the ref was confused. 68 also made a gesture that was less demonstrative and was actually talking to the ref. 70 contends he never said anything which is what he was yelling when Campbell was talking to the refs after the play. The video that the NFL released after says that a player has to make a physical AND a verbal sign to the ref to report. 68 appeared to do both. We can't see if 70 said anything but he contends he didn't and it would make sense that the ruse was to make a physical but not verbal report and think they could get away with it. I think the ref was confused because it's usually 70 that reports and he made the more demonstrative sign despite what 68 was trying to tell him while also doing a physical sign so the ref did a shortcut assumption.

As an aside, anyone who insists that the refs are out to get us or make "weird" mistakes when it comes to us is now adamant that the refs did nothing wrong here because they want to continue to use this 'spiracy excuse in the future when this proves that refs suck for everyone. So that's why you'll get this projected "angry about a win" message when you say we caught a break from the refs messing this up. It's hilarious because it's rich watching them now defend the very people they defame after every loss claiming they're biased. The same thing happened after the Philly game when the refs picked up 3 separate flags intended for us and double penalized a Philly player that allowed us to stack the penalty yardage. It fell under the "rare and unusual occurrences" they say only happens against us.
68 briefly moves his hand to his chest and then dropped it. That is NOT the established way to signal to the ref that you are reporting eligible. Skipper did it correctly...raised hand and rubbing his belly. Decker did nothing like that. Two guys can't report and once Allen saw Skipper making the correct visual cues to report eligibility he then informed the Dallas defense. Decker did NOT signal properly and so the referee didn't acknowledge him. Decker and Sewell were both walking toward Allen at the same time Skipper was giving the established visual cues for reporting as eligible. Allen followed his training and standard reporting protocol as best he could...which acknowledges the CORRECT way to signal eligibility.

But why is Skipper running onto the field and signaling eligibility to the ref on the 2pt play if Decker was going to report? Either he forgot, wasn't told, or deliberately attempted to deceive Allen and the Dallas defense. Either way, two guys can't report...which is what Campbell was told in the aftermath. He should already know that without being told.

The Lions blew this and have been hiding behind misplaced and misinformed media outrage since it happened.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
How did they "make up for it"? Did they screw the Lions?

Your facade you have tried to create about you and the officiating is crumbling.
Yep, they did. The very video they came out with says a reporting person has to make a visual AND verbal declaration. 68 is on video doing that. 70 made a physical and maintains he didn't say anything. So by those rules released by the NFL after the controversial event, the refs didn't follow them.

And facade? Crumbling? Some of you worst ref accusers are now vehemently backing the refs as being pristine and clean on that 2-point conversion play. My movement is growing, buddy. That's why y'all mad. Because your "refs are out to get us" whining was exposed as a sham and y'all have had to turn to ref defenders to try to maintain it. Oh, how rich!

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
I like how they just assume the win. Even if the 2 points counted. There was still 23 seconds, 1 time out and the best kicker in the NFL that says he can hit from 70 yards. I like our chances to get 25-30 yards against that secondary.
exactly, in addition to your point all these Lions fans forget they had another try for 2 after that call and didnt make it

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Thinking more of this if it would have happened to the Cowboys the billboard would have been bigger and probably financed by several people on this board. Of course I will also say it this would have happened to any fan base they would have felt wronged. Sucks to be you Detroit.