Adult Language Lions WR Amon-Ra St. Brown and Cowboys CB Jourdan Lewis trading barbs; Cowboys host Lions Week 6

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The telling part is the ref avoiding a question about it after the game. If the rules are clear, state them and why the Lions were in violation of them, but don't avoid what your role was. Also telling that afterwards that crew was taken out of the playoff rotation.
Maybe, but do the refs usually have press conferences after the game to go over missed calls, im betting they are under strict orders to say as little as possible so that the NFL can review and respond as they want to.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Why would the Lions be so angry like they were? Seems they thought they had an agreement on what they'd do. Based on what the coach and players have said, it's easy to piece together what they were trying to do and because of the reporting rules they tried to clear it with the refs before the game. There's really nothing else it could be unless folks have ideas. Why does the ref avoid a question about what went down with 58 and 68 approaching him? No one is touching that one on this board.
I think you're probably right that the refs messed up, but ultimately the refs screw up sometimes. If they spot the ball in the wrong spot, or the chains are showing the wrong down you typically stop the game and notify the refs of an issue so it gets corrected.

When the ref announces an eligible player different than the one you want it's now on the responsibility of the offense to alert the refs to the mistake. Despite it otherwise being well executed by Detroit the fatal flaw in the entire plan is that by rule the refs announce to everyone who is eligible so there isn't any confusion around that.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Maybe, but do the refs usually have press conferences after the game to go over missed calls, im betting they are under strict orders to say as little as possible so that the NFL can review and respond as they want to.
Good chance this is pretty accurate. Last thing the NFL wants is an official who doesn't speak to the media often to say something questionable that would add fire to the topic.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Again ....... when coming onto the field ....... #70 did the signal that he was eligible and the ref pointed at him and they announced he was eligible.

The Refs cannot help the Lions offense deceive the Cowboys ...... anyone that thinks they can is an absolute moron.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Do you remember the Dez no-catch? Gene Steratore was the ref. He got direct questions about Dez' movements and answered them with "yes" or "no, not a football move." Standard practice. And he didn't pull any punches because there was nothing to hide. Everything he was saying was backed up by the rules despite what you hear around here, lol. This ref avoided a question about the most important part of that reporting deal. Is that not suspicious?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think you're probably right that the refs messed up, but ultimately the refs screw up sometimes. If they spot the ball in the wrong spot, or the chains are showing the wrong down you typically stop the game and notify the refs of an issue so it gets corrected.

When the ref announces an eligible player different than the one you want it's now on the responsibility of the offense to alert the refs to the mistake. Despite it otherwise being well executed by Detroit the fatal flaw in the entire plan is that by rule the refs announce to everyone who is eligible so there isn't any confusion around that.
this it was a bad plan to begin with.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Do you remember the Dez no-catch? Gene Steratore was the ref. He got direct questions about Dez' movements and answered them with "yes" or "no, not a football move." Standard practice. And he didn't pull any punches because there was nothing to hide. Everything he was saying was backed up by the rules despite what you hear around here, lol. This ref avoided a question about the most important part of that reporting deal. Is that not suspicious?
Gene may have helped the league "Clearify" to the refs to not answer these questions after games..again thats speculation on my part but it seems like the smartest thing for the NFL to do.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Why would the Lions be so angry like they were? Seems they thought they had an agreement on what they'd do. Based on what the coach and players have said, it's easy to piece together what they were trying to do and because of the reporting rules they tried to clear it with the refs before the game. There's really nothing else it could be unless folks have ideas. Why does the ref avoid a question about what went down with 58 and 68 approaching him? No one is touching that one on this board.
Please give me an example when a Ref has answered a question on a controversial call?

Does anyone believe that when 70 was announced over the loud speaker as eligible that only the Dallas defense could hear it???

Why was Detroit ok with them announcing the wrong player as eligible???

MarcusRock

Reaction score

As I said, someone on the sideline should have stopped the play once they heard. The players are busy trying to get their assignments correct. Goff is getting the play in his headset from the OC. You rely on refs to get it right. Of course they don't all the time and this was a case where that was true. They didn't follow their own rules to get a physical and verbal sign that someone was reporting (68 did, 70 did not), assumed, then the ref avoided a question about it after the game and that crew was relieved of playoff duties. Not great optics to be a ref defender here. And y'all say that I am all the time, lol.

Chasing6

Reaction score
As I said, someone on the sideline should have stopped the play once they heard. The players are busy trying to get their assignments correct. Goff is getting the play in his headset from the OC. You rely on refs to get it right. Of course they don't all the time and this was a case where that was true. They didn't follow their own rules to get a physical and verbal sign that someone was reporting (68 did, 70 did not), assumed, then the ref avoided a question about it after the game and that crew was relieved of playoff duties. Not great optics to be a ref defender here. And y'all say that I am all the time, lol.
Pretty sure they new the play as soon as they sent 58 and 68 to the ref. Play was known before the game, that is why they had a meeting before hand.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Gene may have helped the league "Clearify" to the refs to not answer these questions after games..again thats speculation on my part but it seems like the smartest thing for the NFL to do.
Lol. You're reaching. Only the crew chief answers questions after a game. But he got direct questions and gave direct answers. He knew there was a controversy and only spoke about rules on the books. He did not avoid like this ref did and then had the NFL swoop in with what the rules actually were which actually showed that they were not followed here.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Again ....... when coming onto the field ....... #70 did the signal that he was eligible and the ref pointed at him and they announced he was eligible.

The Refs cannot help the Lions offense deceive the Cowboys defense ....... they cannot say to the refs ...... 3 of our guys are gonna report as eligibal but only the one we tell you actually means it.

Why can you not get that?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Lol. You're reaching. Only the crew chief answers questions after a game. But he got direct questions and gave direct answers. He knew there was a controversy and only spoke about rules on the books. He did not avoid like this ref did and then had the NFL swoop in with what the rules actually were which actually showed that they were not followed here.
well maybe i am reaching but there are very few times you see any ref answer direct questions after games and that example is many years ago, so kinda adds up to me. There are many examples of questioned calls during games recently and I dont remeber the refs comming out in a post game a giving answers.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Pretty sure they new the play as soon as they sent 58 and 68 to the ref. They play was schemed up well in advance that is the point of the pre game meeting.

Why send 3 different tackles to the Ref????

Why did they do it correctly multiple time prior to this play?

Why two different players giving hand singles?

How do you know who said what? Were they mic'd up? No they were not.

The Ref clearly pointed and acknowledged number 70.

The Ref announced number 70.

If 68 reported and then 70 reported, you can't report 2 Tackles as eligible.

It is the players job to properly communicate to the official for confirmation.

70 received confirmation not 68.

70 was announced to the World not 68.

How much do you want to bet, at least half our board would be blaming Dak, if this happened to us? Why did Dak not correct the Official when 70 was announced and not 68?

This is just another Dan Cambel situation, thinking he is the smartest guy in the room. He is not Bill Belichick.

He also lost the Niner game with dumb decisions he made. Guy is an idiot.

shabazz

Reaction score
Can I ask exactly how you feel our roster regressed? It honestly didn't change that much. Oft-injured Tyron Smith left and our painfully average center left. We lost Pollard who was far from anything special. Gallup left who barely made any impact most games. Probably our biggest loss was Hankins on the defensive side. LVE retired who, despite what people say, was solid. We'll get Diggs back and Overshown back. We replaced most of our losses in the draft. Hopefully our RBBC will be serviceable.
I agree with at least one thing you said..." Hopefully"

We lost multiple bonafide veteran starters and replaced them mostly with untested or average quality players.

Dont take my word for as almost every major NFL analyst is saying the same exact thing.

If we had replaced most of them with quality free agents it would be a different story.....Zeke Elliot? Really?

Regression tour 2024 in full effect.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree with at least one thing you said..." Hopefully"

We lost multiple bonafide veteran starters and replaced them mostly with untested or average quality players.

Dont take my word for as almost every major NFL analyst is saying the same exact thing.

If we had replaced most of them with quality free agents it would be a different story.....Zeke Elliot? Really?

Regression tour 2024 in full effect.
It starts at the top

The top of our front office is an idiot living off Jimmy Johnson's accomplishments

The top of our offense goes deer in the headlights mode whenever he gets to the playoffs.

The top of our defense has 1 sack in 4 playoff games and he celebrated that one sack, against a 45 year old man, like he just won the Superbowl

Chasing6

Reaction score

The Refs cannot help the Lions offense deceive the Cowboys defense ....... they cannot say to the refs ...... 3 of our guys are gonna report as eligibal but only the one we tell you actually means it.

They tried to confuse Dallas and confused the ref's. So Dan's plan of confusion worked.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

The rules from the NFL state that you need to do a physical and verbal sign to report. 70 says he did not say anything. 68 clearly says something and did a physical sign as well. Therefore, 68 met the rule. The refs did not follow their own rule. They also covered what they wanted to do with the ref crew before the game and then it turned out different once the game happened. Why can't you get that?