Looks like a soft Taco with no flavor

camaro69

Benched
Reaction score
One meaningless preseason game, I know. First live action in the NFL, yes, I know. But last night was decidedly unimpressive last night from Taco Charlton.

So I went back and watched his snaps again. Maybe I just missed something while the defense was getting torched early. Maybe it wasn't that bad. Maybe I need to chill.

Nope, it was even worse than I thought.

Absolutely no explosion off the snap. No twitch or quickness to him. No strength to push the pocket whatsoever. Not a single pass rush move that even looked like a pass rush move.

And this was against scrubs. He played like a three-toed sloth. Moved like molasses.

I realize pass rushers generally take a year or two to get their feet under them in the NFL. But even before that, you can see athleticism and that "special" quality that made them worthy of a first-round pick. You could see it immediately in Demarcus Ware. Randy Gregory looked different than the others. Demarcus Lawrence's athleticism was apparent. Charles Tapper certainly looks the part, even as a 4th-rounder.

I was hoping Taco could become a poor man's Greg Ellis. I'm afraid this is just another Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman, or Ebennezer Ekuban.

I just see nothing there at all. I hope desperately that I'm wrong.
I'm afraid your right. He's move's like he's weighted down. But on the bright side his name is Taco

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Do you realize that people were calling Zeke a bust last year? Believe it or not this happened on this board. Then the season happened. The point is when will we learn to RELAX? Football is a sport of unseen development, chemistry, and infinite variables THAT CANNOT ALWAYS BE DETERMINED AFTER ONE PRESEASON GAME. This happens every year and it's shocking.

Gotta be honest, I don't remember a lot of discussion around Zeke being a bust. I remember a lot of talk about the second coming of Emmitt but not bust.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Dude I promise you ZEKE WAS CALLED A BUST and not worth the #4 pick on this board. I bet my life on it and it was a popular opinion at that. He was also subpar in game 1 vs NYG and was buried for that. Some said he was not worth the pick, some said he had no moves, wasn't elusive with "no wiggle"... etc.. We live in a message board world where everyone MUST declare right away.. or have everything "figured out"..

Most of the talk about Zeke had nothing to do with him being a bust, but on the debate if the number 4 pick should be used on a RB

And I do remember calling out Zeke after the first two games because he was awful and he fumbled and his head wasn't in the game

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Nobody is saying the book is closed. Of course we're going to talk about every data point we have access to. I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to be concerned by what we've seen and read to this point.

It's funny; it's the folks telling us to relax that are taking things a bit too seriously. We know it's a preaseason game. We know it's early. We know! That doesn't mean there isn't room to be concerned--and reserve the right to be higher on him when his play and practice justifies it.

I get it... it's the world we live in. My problem is with those that want to reach CONCLUSIONS. It's the lack of perspective and reason that's hard to stomach although inevitable especially here.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Gotta be honest, I don't remember a lot of discussion around Zeke being a bust. I remember a lot of talk about the second coming of Emmitt but not bust.

Weeks 1 and 2 of last season. I remember at least one post, maybe two. But it was a tiny minority.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Most of the talk about Zeke had nothing to do with him being a bust, but on the debate if the number 4 pick should be used on a RB

And I do remember calling out Zeke after the first two games because he was awful and he fumbled and his head wasn't in the game

And how did that work out? I guess I'm looking for a perspective that I honestly shouldn't be If I'm being honest. It's a microwave world and people want instant conclusions. Have at it.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

After the opening game vs the Giants. People wanted Morris starting ahead of him.

RS12

Reaction score
Eb, Shante and Kavicka send their best wishes.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
After the opening game vs the Giants. People wanted Morris starting ahead of him.

A lot of that had to do with the fact that we were playing Washington and Morris looked better than Zeke against the G-men. But even that talk was more along the lines of: "Let's start Morris next week. Give Zeke a bit of time to catch up." I don't consider that calling a guy a bust.

erod

Reaction score
Dude I promise you ZEKE WAS CALLED A BUST and not worth the #4 pick on this board. I bet my life on it and it was a popular opinion at that. He was also subpar in game 1 vs NYG and was buried for that. Some said he was not worth the pick, some said he had no moves, wasn't elusive with "no wiggle"... etc.. We live in a message board world where everyone MUST declare right away.. or have everything "figured out"..
I think you're re-imagining it differently than it was.

Yes, there was a lot of scrutiny from the Jaylen Ramsey crowd, and yes, there was some concern over the early season fumbles. There wasn't anywhere to run against the Giants, but some folks questioned the value of a RB at No. 4 still.

But he had already blown up the Seahawks and Cam Chancellor. The athletic ability was flashing all over the place. There was no talk of "bust", just on whether he was the right pick.

Taco, on the other hand, hasn't shown a moment's flash yet. He looks like a JAG.

erod

Reaction score
I don't care what anyone thinks, Taco looks like a massive bust to me. Looks like he doesn't even
belong on the field.

It doesn't look promising. I see a guy that will spend many Sundays on the inactive list, and we wait to see what a year of weight-lifting and technique coaching does for him.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
It doesn't look promising. I see a guy that will spend many Sundays on the inactive list, and we wait to see what a year of weight-lifting and technique coaching does for him.

Agreed. I just feel like they would be putting lipstick on a pig though. He looks horrible out there.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
I would have picked Watt. I wanted him on draft day!

Oh, well. What's done is done. It's just going to suck seeing Watt make game-changing plays and be The Man knowing we could have (should have) taken him.
i also preferred Watt, what is worse than that is he is a Steeler.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I think you're re-imagining it differently than it was.

Yes, there was a lot of scrutiny from the Jaylen Ramsey crowd, and yes, there was some concern over the early season fumbles. There wasn't anywhere to run against the Giants, but some folks questioned the value of a RB at No. 4 still.

But he had already blown up the Seahawks and Cam Chancellor. The athletic ability was flashing all over the place. There was no talk of "bust", just on whether he was the right pick.

Taco, on the other hand, hasn't shown a moment's flash yet. He looks like a JAG.

Ok... fair enough. My point is do we give him preseason game #2? Allow him to play with other starters? Or have we already defined his career?