Looks like a soft Taco with no flavor

waldoputty

Reaction score
So you're saying that he is a possible Chris Canty? I could see that. A more athletic Canty.

Canty was super strong though and that is a weakness right now for Taco.

Also, like Irving, Taco is versatile... They may kick him inside and he could look better as a pass rushing DT.

Just be patient with this guy. We got him at pick 28 so lower the bar a little.

dont know. we have too many DTs to put more draft resources there.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Like in this video... He got off the snap pretty quick. Once he gets to the tackle is when his struggles begin. Strength and technique. That can be taught.

Tapper was having the same issue. He had great speed of the edge, put got pushed too far out and behind the QB.

Hardline

Reaction score
maxresdefault.jpg

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Watch him! Nothing. No notable athleticism whatsoever. No strength. Looked like he'd never rushed the QB in his life. High-school quality pass rush moves.

Can we make a deal? If he gets a sack in the next pre-season game and or shows any (god forbid) improvement, flash etc.. CAN YOU NOT SAY ANYTHING POSITIVE?! JUST PLEASE KEEP THIS DEFINITIVE STANCE FOREVER.. throughout his career. Deal? Awesome!

erod

Reaction score
Tapper was having the same issue. He had great speed of the edge, put got pushed too far out and behind the QB.
Actually, Tapper demonstrated a number of different moves and got good pressure both inside and outside.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The TJ Watt comparison will fail because he isn't even playing DE. He is a 3-4 OLB which we don't need.

Last night didn't get me down on Taco...I was never high or low on him in the first place. I thought we reached and drafted out of positional need.

So many prospects over the last few years have been drafted that seemed like they could be a force in the league and so many of them turned into invisible players. The true dominating pass rusher is the most rare species in the NFL.
Out of the top 10 pass rushers in the NFL last year 7 were LB's and 3 were DE's.
I've been saying for a while that pressure comes from scheme and confusing the offense with waves of unpredictable pressure...Not lining up 2 "War Daddy's" and turning them loose because in todays NFL that just doesn't happen.

I don't think you can say this. I mean, it's true that the comparison is not exact because of position but that assumes that Watt could not play Weak Side DE in a 43.

The rest of your post, I pretty much agree with.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
That's funny. They were ready to run Smith out of town his first preseason because Ware abused him so bad. Depends on who you talk to about Byron. Some think he is nothing special. Frederick was overdrafted according to everyone...except for those looking back now.

Your own posting shows both sides of how drafting isn't a science. Martin, Zeke and Tyron were all consensus top 10 picks. Jones, Frederick and Charlton were not.

B Jones is still nothing special

Carson

Reaction score
So you're saying that he is a possible Chris Canty? I could see that. A more athletic Canty.

Also, like Irving, Taco is versatile... They may kick him inside and he could look better as a pass rushing DT.

A wise man made that same analysis the other day ;)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't think you can say this. I mean, it's true that the comparison is not exact because of position but that assumes that Watt could not play Weak Side DE in a 43.

The rest of your post, I pretty much agree with.

Put me down for thinking Watt is not an everydown DE.

Watt is a lot more linebacker than DE imo.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score

One of the things I noticed when scouting Taco, which is the thing I became most excited about, is he wins consistently on the inside.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not declaring him a bust. But I am seriously questioning whether Watt would have been the better pick.
It means nothing since they don't play the same position. The Cowboys wanted a bigger 4-3 type so they drafted Taco. FWIW, Taco was higher in every mock I saw leading up to the draft.

superonyx

Reaction score
i would take pressure from an OLB position if it is reliable pressure.
So would I. But that comes from scheme. Watt is a 3-4 OLB who you can send to the QB in some situations. We don't run the scheme to send our LBers to the QB like Von Miller does.
Should we be using a 3-4? Possibly...But what we shouldn't be doing is drafting 3-4 OLB's and expecting them to play 4-3 DE's. Too much size is needed when your hand is in the dirt and a 325lb OT or Guard pulls on a 1st down running play.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Shante Carver. That's who he looks exactly like.
After 15 snaps? Wow. Your bias is showing. We picked the guy at 28, youre expecting him to be Von Miller? Im sorry but I think Coach Harbaugh and our scouting dept knows a lot more about football than you can ever hope to know in your life. So please, enough with the "he didnt show me anything".