Looks like a soft Taco with no flavor

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
true, but we just need consistent pressure.
from DL or OLB, both are fine.

IF we're going to rush a linebacker then Jaylon Smith is the guy. He was fantastic at it in College.

To me.. Jaylon is a Von Miller type as far as him being so dynamic that he can do everything.

I'm worried about that dynamic ability being put on display since the Cowboys want to stick him in the middle.

Not to mention our coaches just ignore the chess side of football.

waldoputty

Reaction score
IF we're going to rush a linebacker then Jaylon Smith is the guy. He was fantastic at it in College.

To me.. Jaylon is a Von Miller type as far as him being so dynamic that he can do everything.

I'm worried about that dynamic ability being put on display since the Cowboys want to stick him in the middle.

jaylon would probably be in plenty of nickels where it is him and lee.
you need more than jaylon and jaylon cannot be counted on to be 100% this year.

the offense is shaping up to be even stronger this year than last.
RT looks (knock) good.
our weakest link is LG which looks better than the RT turnstile last year.
rico is going to make a few plays.
dak has been working hard.

we just need a couple more extra stops per game from added pressure.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
One of the things I noticed when scouting Taco, which is the thing I became most excited about, is he wins consistently on the inside.

I see him as a Strong Side DE. You know what I think there but the thing about playing DE for him is that he has to use bend and he has to be able to muscle a guy on the edge. He has some quickness off the snap to get upfield but, he doesn't have that quick twitch lightning fast first step that weaker players can use to flat beat a block. He isn't fast enough to simply use leverage up field to get position and beat a guy so he has to be able to use that initial step and then leverage a guy with strength IMO. Right now, he's just not strong enough.

The problem with the board, IMO, is that we have a team filled with Strong Side DEs and everybody really wanted that Rush End. I feel like we continue to draft the same guy, so to speak. It's kind of frustrating but you know what? Still does no good to rake these young guys over the coals after just one pre-season game.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Rueben Foster supposedly looks tremendous in San Francisco.
He will look great when he gets suspended too. Or on IR for his shoulder. But hey, lets draft another headache, it seemed to work in the past.....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

This, I don't know about. 4.5 sacks in three seasons is not the production that suggests same. I think Smith is a run and chase backside type LB and I think he could be great at that if he comes back. I don't like him when he gets locked up with an OL because I think he loses those battles too often but if you can keep him clean, he can chase down anything and I think he can be really good in coverage.

Jake0

Reaction score
Why would you want to spend a 1st on Reuben Foster? Team is in nickel/dime more often than not. We got Lee/Jaylon to hopefully hold that fort for now. The person everyone wanted if not Taco was Kevin King I believe. We drafted the important spots, DE and CB. Maybe Kevin King and Josh Jones who went 1 pick after Chido. Or Keep Chido and have him more of a S but Josh Jones is a pretty elite S prospect just goin off measurables.

Funny thing is the Packers went that exact route since they got both players... Kevin King and Josh Jones.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I know better than to read too much into a preseason game, but Jeebus help us if we have to go to our backups on defense this season. Even guys that will be playing significant minutes like Byron Jones and Damian Wilson looked like poo.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
I see him as a Strong Side DE. You know what I think there but the thing about playing DE for him is that he has to use bend and he has to be able to muscle a guy on the edge. He has some quickness off the snap to get upfield but, he doesn't have that quick twitch lightning fast first step that weaker players can use to flat beat a block. He isn't fast enough to simply use leverage up field to get position and beat a guy so he has to be able to use that initial step and then leverage a guy with strength IMO. Right now, he's just not strong enough.

The problem with the board, IMO, is that we have a team filled with Strong Side DEs and everybody really wanted that Rush End. I feel like we continue to draft the same guy, so to speak. It's kind of frustrating but you know what? Still does no good to rake these young guys over the coals after just one pre-season game.
Agreed. I think he needs to get a bit stronger, but adjusting his pad level is really going to help him. He has enough quickness for a guy his size he just needs to refine his hand placement and pass rush moves. I'm sure a full off season will make a big difference for him as well.

dallasdave

Reaction score

He is a LDE not really a RDE. I would like to see Dallas put a real LB at RDE on passing downs and line him up wide to rush the QB !!! But TACO will be more of LDE or a rush DT when he gets stronger.

waldoputty

Reaction score
He is a LDE not really a RDE. I would like to see Dallas put a real LB at RDE on passing downs and line him up wide to rush the QB !!! But TACO will be more of LDE or a rush DT when he gets stronger.

if he is not a RDE, we need him to be a pass rushing LDE.
we have too many 3techs: tcrawford, irving, paea, collins
remember when we had 4 DTs on the DL last year?

dallasdave

Reaction score
if he is not a RDE, we need him to be a pass rushing LDE.
we have too many 3techs: tcrawford, irving, paea, collins
remember when we had 4 DTs on the DL last year?
I agree, but these are the places I think he can play at LDE and DT

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I don't think so Dave. I mean, you could be right but I don't see it. I think he's a Strong Side DE who was drafted to fit a spot he doesn't fit. Nothing about his game, suggest to me that he is a weakside DE. JMO

waldoputty

Reaction score
I don't think so Dave. I mean, you could be right but I don't see it. I think he's a Strong Side DE who was drafted to fit a spot he doesn't fit. Nothing about his game, suggest to me that he is a weakside DE. JMO
abq, dave is saying the same thing actually

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Gotta lower your expectations for Taco. If he ever gets 7+ sacks a season then that's all you can expect and we should all be thrilled. He's not the War Daddy! We need a pure speed rusher...I don't care if he gets pushed around like a rag doll against the run. When you're an indoor team with an explosive offense that should be playing with the lead, you need speedy edge rushers because the opposing team will be throwing the ball to catch up. Taco seems like the type of DE who belongs on a team that plays in the elements

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Why would you want to spend a 1st on Reuben Foster? Team is in nickel/dime more often than not. We got Lee/Jaylon to hopefully hold that fort for now. The person everyone wanted if not Taco was Kevin King I believe. We drafted the important spots, DE and CB. Maybe Kevin King and Josh Jones who went 1 pick after Chido. Or Keep Chido and have him more of a S but Josh Jones is a pretty elite S prospect just goin off measurables.

Funny thing is the Packers went that exact route since they got both players... Kevin King and Josh Jones.

I think everybody wanted Foster because this team has a real need at MLB. I mean, if you have Lee and Smith, you can get away with a thumper in the middle and if you've been keeping up with Foster, reports are that he is showing a lot more mobility and flexibility in the passing game. He may not be as stiff as a lot of people projected him to be.

As to being in jail, that's definitely a possibility.

Time will tell I guess.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Gotta lower your expectations for Taco. If he ever gets 7+ sacks a season then that's all you can expect and we should all be thrilled. He's not the War Daddy! We need a pure speed rusher...I don't care if he gets pushed around like a rag doll against the run. When you're an indoor team with an explosive offense that should be playing with the lead, you need speedy edge rushers because the opposing team will be throwing the ball to catch up. Taco seems like the type of DE who belongs on a team that plays in the elements

if we can get a 3rd and long speedy edge pass rusher to complement Jaylon, that could be the difference maker.

erod

Reaction score
After 15 snaps? Wow. Your bias is showing. We picked the guy at 28, youre expecting him to be Von Miller? Im sorry but I think Coach Harbaugh and our scouting dept knows a lot more about football than you can ever hope to know in your life. So please, enough with the "he didnt show me anything".
The guy has only started 13 games in college. He's had an awful camp. He got owned last night by scrubs. Rod Marinelli called him out publicly, which is rare.

I don't care where he was picked. Charles Haley was a 4th rounder. So was Tony Tolbert. Leon Lett was a 7th rounder. David Irving was undrafted.

Pass rushers can come from any round.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
abq, dave is saying the same thing actually

Is he, I didn't read it that way but it could be me for sure. He's a Strongside DE to me. He is not a Pass Rush Weakside DE IMO. That is what I am saying.